Author Topic: New York Slimes Features - Israeli Pork Cookbook - What is this!  (Read 668 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
This is the kind of anti-Jewish stuff I expect from the NYT...

Always trying to get Jews to abandon their faith and their covenant with Hashem...

I hope that honorable Israeli Jews find a use for this book as kindling material or to line their pet cages with... I think this is dispicable..

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/dining/29trayf.html

In Israel, a Pork Cookbook Challenges a Taboo
By JEFFREY YOSKOWITZ

ANY author has to deal with bad reviews, but how about the wrath of G-d?

Dr. Eli Landau has written “The White Book,” touted as the first Israeli pork cookbook.

With 80 mainly Mediterranean recipes and Eastern European dishes, “The White Book” tries to reveal the secrets of the pig for cooks who have never prepared it nor perhaps even tasted it.

Since the mid-1950s, Israel has had laws restricting the sale of pork and banning its farm production in deference to biblical proscriptions. But because of legal loopholes, it was possible to raise pigs for science or in areas considered Christian. Pork buyers included secular Jews, Christian Arabs and more recently, immigrant workers and the hundreds of thousands of immigrants from the former Soviet Union who don’t keep kosher.

Now it is up to individual municipalities to determine whether pork can be sold in each neighborhood and whether shops will incur fines for selling it, much as they would for staying open on the Sabbath. Many Jews who ignore other kosher rules will not eat pork for cultural and historical reasons. Observant Muslims also abstain from it.

Even more than other nonkosher foods, pork is seen by many Israelis as an affront to Jewish nationalism. Pork sellers routinely face protesters, and in recent years, arsonists have attacked shops in cities like Netanya and Safed, where Orthodox Jews live near secular immigrant communities.

“The younger generation keeps less and less of the rules,” Mr. Adoni said.

Dr. Landau said he hopes his book will resonate with young people who have become less observant Jews, and with his peers who have embraced an internationalist perspective.

“It was not possible 20 years ago,” Dr. Landau said. “In 20 or 30 years, it will be a natural thing. I don’t think I will be around to see it.”

Yemach Shemo Ve Zichron to Dr Landau
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
Re: New York Slimes Features - Israeli Pork Cookbook - What is this!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 03:25:43 PM »
Hopefully one day they will go out of business god willing! They're already having financial problems.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »
It makes one wonder -

Is this the Jewish State for which many thousands sacrificed their lives and limbs?

If this is it, then the Jews lack a valid claim on the Land, for if not for Ha'Shem's Word as the permanent lease, there is no valid argument that is acceptable as a rationale for fighting to erect and defend a "Jewish State" if it's to serve the purpose of a place where Jews can live as Gentiles.

On this point, the argument made against the existence of the State of Israel by the Muslim Nazi Terrorists, their barbarism notwithstanding, takes the upper hand, for they are justifiably outraged at seeing "The People of the Book" promoting every forbidden abomination right in their very midst.

Personally, do I agree that the Jews who are Israeli citizens have the "right" to do whatever the Hell they choose?

Yes.

But why would a Jew go to all the trouble to make aliyah, learn a new language and have to adjust to Middle Eastern culture, face a constant onslaught of terror, and always have to fight a major war every decade, if the reason for undergoing personal hardship and sacrifice is only so that they may live no differently than a Gentile from the UK or France?

Why shouldn't they just remain wherever they are in Exile, fully assimilate, and try to be as Gentile as their European fellow citizens?

For that matter, Jews with this mindset should all just march to the baptismal font en mass or "submit" to the "Will of Alum".

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:50:55 PM »
Sadly New York does not have one good major newspaper... I am sure there are not many good ones  in the entire country.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
Sadly New York does not have one good major newspaper... I am sure there are not many good ones  in the entire country.

There aren't many. None of that I know of.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline david1967

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
Most of the left-wing, secular Israelis don't follow even the slightest bit of Judaism.  In fact, some have only been to the synagogue a handful of times in their lives.  These people would have no problem eating pork.  Of course, many of the Christian,foreign workers that have infiltrated Israel in recent years, those from Eastern Europe, Africa, and Asia buy pork products.  In addition, most of the Russian immigrants, Jewish, half-Jewish and not Jewish, are used to eating pork.  They're probably the biggest consumers of it in Israel today. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 07:53:05 PM »
One time my aunt was telling me that on her way to the Synagogue for Yom Kippur she passed by this small park where she saw a group of Israelis having a picnic.  She was tempted to say something to them, but then decided against it. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »
Muman,

You know I read this article a few days ago and what shocked me was not the content, inasmuch as the outrageous attitude of the author that came through in every line of the piece.  First, he's a cardiologist and pork is the last thing a cardiologist should be promoting to any of us--ever.  Cardiologist's don't design cookbooks that promote the consumption of a food that is essentially very unhealthy (same goes for fatty red meat or foods with lots of high fructose).  This is not someone who seems to arduously promote the health of his patients.  To any, including myself, I would say, you can indulge in foods that are less than healthy every once in awhile, most of us do, just exercise, eat right and watch your intake, etc. 
     However, this has an added twist that is really very disturbing.  While pridefully admitting, he is a Jew and an Israeli, he manages to come off as someone who doesn't think even twice about spitting on his own religion.  And this undercurrent of 'we refer to it as the "white steak,' reflects a certain degree of insidious behavior.  He is really encouraging observant Jews to go 'undercover' if they want to indulge.  I mean he's actually promoting wrongdoing on almost every level.  I would never tell any pt, of any faith, to cultivate a taste for unhealthy food.  This guy does it like he isn't responsible to anyone--at all!