Author Topic: U.S. Orthodox rabbis urge community to accept gays and lesbians  (Read 768 times)

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/news/u-s-orthodox-rabbis-urge-community-to-accept-gays-and-lesbians-1.304661
Statement of principles issued by rabbis and educators says 'heterosexual marriage is sole legitimate outlet for human sexual expression' but calls for acceptance.

Dozens of Orthodox rabbis and educators have signed what they call a "statement of principles" regarding the acceptance of gays and lesbians within the Orthodox community.

The statement, initially drafted by Rabbi Nathaniel Helfgot, was prepared over the last months and can be read in full here.

"Jews with homosexual orientations or same sex-attractions should be welcomed as full members of the synagogue and school community," reads the statement, which goes on to say that Jewish law "sees heterosexual marriage as the ideal model and sole legitimate outlet for human sexual expression. The sensitivity and understanding we properly express for human beings with other sexual orientations does not diminish our commitment to that principle."

The rabbis and educators go on to say that "Embarrassing, harassing or demeaning someone with a homosexual orientation or same-sex attraction is a violation of Torah prohibitions that embody the deepest values of Judaism."

The question or cause of one's sexual orientation is irrelevant "to our obligation to treat human beings with same-sex attractions and orientations with dignity and respect," the signatories said.

The rabbis and educators go on to say they affirm the religious right of gays and lesbians to reject "therapies" intended to change their sexual orientation. Moreover, they say, rabbis and Jewish community leaders must be empathetic to the suffering Orthodox gays and lesbians endure.

And while Jewish law cannot "give its blessing and imprimatur to Jewish religious same-sex commitment ceremonies and weddings," their communities should "display sensitivity, acceptance and full embrace of the adopted or biological children of homosexually active Jews in the synagogue and school setting," the statement said.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:54:46 AM by Irish Zionist »
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: U.S. Orthodox rabbis urge community to accept gays and lesbians
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:50:39 AM »
They talk out of both sides of their mouth!

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:03:30 AM »
Anyone can be an "orthodox rabbi" these days it seems. I'm sure half these frauds are reform drek who just call themselves orthodox in front of the media. The news media would never check the credentials of a self-hating rabbi.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
I think this same subject had been dedicated with a rather long thread a couple of months ago. If you read the actual statement, I don't think there is anything groundbreaking about it. It accepts the homosexuals not their morality. The intention is clearly meant to encourage homosexuals to stay Jews and try live a Jewish life. This is the attitude  which I believe is prevailing in most Jewish communities except for the charedim.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
After reading this article closely, this rabbi, (if that is what he is) didn't saying against Judaism.  He did not say that it's ok to practice homosexuality except for the last part where he kind of implied that he would look the other way so to speak.

I think it's better to rebuke, but at the same time show compassion.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »
They're always useful for putting together a Chanukah show each year!     ;D

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
They're always useful for putting together a Chanukah show each year!     ;D

Massa, you have a way of really bringing out the human in almost anything. G-d Bless

Offline DMAN

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:53:49 PM »
i agree that we shouldnt bash gays and burn them on the stake like they did in the old days. accept homosexuality? hell no, that is the same thing as saying we should accept people who commit murder.

Offline FreedomDefender

• JTFer in Exile
  • Senior JTFer
  • Hello kids. Say no to 3rd reich
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:05:34 PM »
Seems to me that some individuals just won`t stop until they will spit on everything not as ugly and emty as themselves. First its our troops, second is victims of terror from a religion of "peace" and now its Torah. Don`t forget about our flag which this filth also burned.

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:19:58 PM »
Yes, the Torah says homosexuality is a sin, but we should accept gays so that they at least follow the other commandments as best as they can.