Author Topic: I Have No Sound On My Laptop!  (Read 755 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
I Have No Sound On My Laptop!
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:22:29 PM »
I realize this is neither here nor there.  But I just feel like venting. 

A few days ago, I completely ditched Windows from my Vaio laptop.  I love using Ubuntu, and would never go back to using Windows unless I have to use it at a job.  Anyway, almost everything has been working beautifully, except for the mic, which never worked in Windows either.  So two days ago, all the sound suddenly stopped.  I couldn't watch zootube videos or listen to Ask JTF.

Then I figured I'd use my old Dell desktop with Windows on it, where the sound worked.  I got halfway through listening to Ask JTF, when the computer started acting funny.  Suddenly a program just downloaded.  I removed it, shut down the system.  When I rebooted, I got a huge virus!  So I manually shut down the system.  Now I'm back to using the Linux laptop with no sound. 

The only other option is this Eesus mini laptop which has Windows.  I liked it, because it was little and cute.  But the keyboard is too small for my big hands!   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get my sound working, please let me know.

Thanks.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: I Have No Sound On My Laptop!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:27:56 PM »
Well, I have been using Ubuntu for several years now. I also support our work group at work and do the Ubuntu installations and upgrades...

We could discuss this in PM if you like....

But the first question would be.... What version of Ubuntu are you running?

I currently run 8.04 {at work} and 9.10 {on this desktop}. I also have been using 10.04 on my work laptop....

Often I have found a problem with pulseaudio {a sound driver on ubuntu} and I install ALSA instead. I also have found a problem with the Flash player in Firefox where the sound sometimes stops... If I kill the flash process {using the 'kill' command} and reload the video then the sound works fine.

I would check whether you are using ALSA sound, or Pulseaudio {which I think is the default in 8.04}. I used to always lose my sound while I played my favorite videogame... After removing Pulseaudio and installing ALSA I have not had that problem again.

Check out this page which appears to discuss Pulseaudio problems:

http://glyph.twistedmatrix.com/2008/09/ultimate-ubuntu-pulseaudio-guide.html

__    __ .______   __    __ .__   __..___________.__    __  
|  |  |  ||   _  \ |  |  |  ||  \ |  ||           |  |  |  |
|  |  |  ||  |_)  ||  |  |  ||   \|  |`---|  |----|  |  |  |
|  |  |  ||   _  < |  |  |  ||  . `  |    |  |    |  |  |  |
|  `--'  ||  |_)  ||  `--'  ||  |\   |    |  |    |  `--'  |
 \______/ |______/  \______/ |__| \__|    |__|     \______/ 

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:33:23 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: I Have No Sound On My Laptop!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:10:23 AM »
Thanks Muman!

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.  I have installed the Alsa Mixer.  What's this "kill" command for Flash Player?

I'll send you a pm later since I have to go out now.