Author Topic: Question about Paypal  (Read 688 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Question about Paypal
« on: December 02, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
For people who have a paypal account (I don't, but I'm thinking of getting one), I was wondering how you use it and do you feel confident that your identity is secure and protected by paypal, as well as your anonymity.   For instance, since you have to use a credit card etc to add funds to your paypal balance, then any purchase you make with paypal account is tied to your credit card ID information right?

And if someone got hold of access to your pay pal account, couldn't they just make a huge purchase (beyond the amount you have transferred into your paypal balance) without your consent?   

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
Re: Question about Paypal
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »
Alot of people are very against having a paypal account, but I've had one for over 20 years and no problems.  I look at it this way, instead of giving a total stranger MY credit card number, I pay through Paypal and feel safer. YOU tell Paypal what amount to give and who to pay. And don't fall for the "verify yourself" that Paypal wants you to do. They want you to link a bank account to your Paypal accunt and I refuse to do that, just in case someone DOES hack my account. Hope this helps a bit.
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 07:20:14 PM »
Ive never had one, never needed one, and don't want one...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 07:43:46 PM »
You are safe, UNLESS your account gets compromised.  So be careful, and use a different password then your others.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »
Alot of people are very against having a paypal account, but I've had one for over 20 years and no problems.  I look at it this way, instead of giving a total stranger MY credit card number,

You mean over the phone if you were ordering by telephone?

I pay through Paypal and feel safer. YOU tell Paypal what amount to give and who to pay.

Paypal gets your credit card # though, but I guess you're saying that one company one time is better than every individual company that you ever buy from online?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
better off writing checks.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
Alot of people are very against having a paypal account, but I've had one for over 20 years and no problems.  I look at it this way, instead of giving a total stranger MY credit card number,

I pay through Paypal and feel safer. YOU tell Paypal what amount to give and who to pay.

Paypal gets your credit card # though, but I guess you're saying that one company one time is better than every individual company that you ever buy from online?

No, I only use paypal when ordering online. If I order over the phone, I give my CC number.
Yes, one company having my CC, than a whole bunch of them out there having it.

Briann is right, you need to use a really good password. A long one with lots of numbers and letters in it and even symbols are good.
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »

No, I only use paypal when ordering online. If I order over the phone, I give my CC number.
Yes, one company having my CC, than a whole bunch of them out there having it.

Briann is right, you need to use a really good password. A long one with lots of numbers and letters in it and even symbols are good.

Thanks.

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »
You are very welcome and good luck! It CAN be scary when you're doing something like this.
Meir Kahane

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:17:14 AM »
בס''ד

If people want to make to credit card contributions to us through our PayPal account, it is absolutely safe. You do not have to have a PayPal account to make credit card contributions to us. It is like using your credit card for any other purpose except with PayPal there are added protections.

Now if people want to open their own PayPal accounts (which again is not necessary for making PayPal contributions to us), it is like having any other credit card or bank account.