Author Topic: Making Hummus: A major discovery for me  (Read 330 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Making Hummus: A major discovery for me
« on: December 22, 2010, 12:59:53 AM »
I've made my own hummus for a few years now.  I came across a slight difference in the way to make it which makes a tremendous change in the results.

Regardless of recipe, mix all of the liquid parts both oil and water based [techina, lemon juice, olive oil, initial chickpea water before needing to add more as chick peas are added] plus the garlic, cumin, salt/pepper [or other spices you use] together and just blend, blend, blend for a few minutes.  It turns the liquids into a "milk".  Then add chick peas, and as much chick pea water left over from the initial boiling as is needed to get the chick peas to mix [as your hummus making skill increases you can judge how much you will need to add and add that into the first part of mixing which I mentioned above, increasing the amount of liquids which get made into "milk"]. -- When water and fats are forced to mix together they make a milk, which ends up making your hummus ultra creamy like a restaurant serves it.

I am not trying to be a braggart [I am merely an amature self-taught cook who loves hummus!], but I believe I have made a hummus equal to my Jewish grocery store and Kosher resturant's homemade hummuses.  The people who I last made hummus for were pretty darn amazed [some of which have eaten my previous hummuses on several occasions, as well as the grocery and restaurant versions].  My new technique is not something I created, but only something I read online in a few places and have tried enough times to "get it right".
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein