Author Topic: bio-ethics?  (Read 649 times)

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
bio-ethics?
« on: December 25, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
whats everyones position on genetic engineering of humans? what types of genetic engineering are acceptable? how should it be regulated?

I think that its good as long as nothing is done to an existing human without his/her consent. the state should also ensure that there is enough genetic diversity so that we can't be wiped out too easily (this does not mean deliberately give people illnesses). there would also need to be a way to make sure there is no genetic underclass like in GATTACCA
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 06:52:48 PM by KahanistLiberal »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: bio-ethics?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
This whole topic makes me want to run away screaming. Gene therapies are good to treat illnesses but genetically engineering humans in the sense of designer embryos, seems like a horrible, horrible idea that can only be evil.

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 07:23:55 PM »
i understand the potential for such technology to be abused, but is it inherently evil?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 07:29:20 PM »
Have to agree with Rubystars on this, just the thought alone is hideous beyond words.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 12:16:27 AM »
Genetic engineering on humans, if it's practical and not just theoretical investigation, is really evil. I aslo disgree with it on plants or animals if the transgenic species are delivered to Nature. But I agree with it if it's done on animals, plants or microbes in the lab under safety messures to make medicines and vaccines.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 02:55:31 AM »
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 03:56:26 AM »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 05:48:02 AM »
Human life is precious and needs to be respected. If people design embryos to order, and the embryos don't form into the perfect baby that they wanted, it's quite possible those "failed" babies could be aborted, killed through infanticide, or if they're born, told through life that they are a failure and inferior to the ones who turned out "right". That's just the private sector.

Military applications open up a whole other huge can of worms. There always have been and always will be people with zero ethical limitations. They may decide to design humans with animal features.

They will engineer people to have all kinds of traits it's hard to even imagine right now regardless of the quality of life (or the lack thereof) that this would lead to.