Author Topic: 11-Year-Old Arrested, Thrown In Jail, For Drawing Stick Figure  (Read 589 times)

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
11-Year-Old Arrested, Thrown In Jail, For Drawing Stick Figure
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »
http://www.care2.com/causes/education/blog/11-year-old-arrested-thrown-in-jail-for-drawing-stick-figure/

In the past few days, I've written about a nine-year-old suspended for sticking a "Kick Me" post-it on a classmate, and a six-year-old sent to a psychiatric ward for penning a violent drawing.

Today I heard about an eleven-year-old who last October was arrested and hauled away in handcuffs for drawing a stick figure in school. Ironically, this was exactly what his therapist had told him to do.

Draw Pictures When You Are Upset

The student, in Arvada, Colorado, is being treated for Attention Deficit Disorder, and his therapist told him to draw pictures when he got upset, rather then disrupt his class. So he followed directions.

From KWGN in Denver:

Last October, he drew stick figures of himself with a gun, pointed at four other stick figures with the words "teacher must die."

He felt calmer and was throwing the picture away when the teacher saw it and sent him to the principal's office.

The school was aware that the boy was in treatment, determined he was not a threat, notified his parents and sent him back to class. His mother, "Jane" was shocked when Arvada Police showed up at their home later that night.

She says she told her son to cooperate and tell the truth, but was horrified when they told her they were arresting him and then handcuffed him and hauled him away in a patrol car. His mother says she begged police to let her drive her son to the police department and to let her stay with him through the booking process but they refused.
Hauled Off To Jail, Photographed, Fingerprinted

After that, they put him in a cell, took his mug shot and fingerprinted him. He says he thought he was going to jail and would never be able to go home again.

"Tim" is charged with a third degree misdemeanor, interfering with staff and students at an educational facility. The system says it's acting in everyone's best interests, but Tim's therapist says handcuffing an 11-year-old and putting him in a cell is over-reacting and does more harm than good.

"Tim" was not posing a threat to anyone in the classroom, and the youngster seemed well able to take care of himself.

What's Wrong With This System?

Furthermore, how did the police know about what this young man had drawn? Clearly, school officials decided to notify the police, and the system took over from there.

Let's Help The Students In Need

Isn't it about time that school officials learned the difference between students who are potentially violent and a threat to the student body, and those who just need some help and looking after?

What do you think?
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: 11-Year-Old Arrested, Thrown In Jail, For Drawing Stick Figure
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
I think that the child was disturbed and needs to be observed. Why would a child draw a figure with a gun and the statement 'Teacher must die'. My ex-wife is a school teacher and I think if such a child was in my class I would have told the principal and had him observed...

I think arresting with cops and hand-cuffs are a bit extreme though...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:53:42 PM »
this is a very big reason why i miss E"Y. here in the US, im worried about not getting in trouble for some stupid reason. the schools and teachers in E"Y are much more lenient about things.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
I think that the child was disturbed and needs to be observed. Why would a child draw a figure with a gun and the statement 'Teacher must die'. My ex-wife is a school teacher and I think if such a child was in my class I would have told the principal and had him observed...

I think arresting with cops and hand-cuffs are a bit extreme though...

I used to draw stuff like that when I was mad but I wasn't serious about any of it. I wouldn't actually hurt anyone. I think it was just a stress relief for the kid. At the most the kid's parents might've been told about it so they could talk about it with the school. They could have discussed the therapist's instructions then.

Besides maybe he was an aspiring cartoonist. Most cartoons are violent so how is that any different from what he would see on tv anyway?

Sometimes it's better to get your emotions out with a violent joke or drawing than it is to actually hurt someone.