Author Topic: OKLAHOMA POLICE CAPTAIN SUES POLICE DEPARTMENT OVER FORCED MOSQUE ATTENDANCE  (Read 479 times)

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2011/02/oklahoma-police-captain-sues-police-department-over-forced-mosque-attendance.html

My new hero, Police Captain Paul Fields.

This courageous police captain was initially disciplined for refusing to require his subordinates to attend an event at a Muslim Brotherhood mosque in Tulsa. So he filed a federal suit against the Tulsa Police Department asking for $1 in damages on each of two claims. I love him.

...Memos indicate that attendance was initially voluntary. However, Deputy Chief Daryl Webster ordered each patrol division to send six officers and three supervisors, when no one signed up.

If Police Captain Paul Fields has a legal defense fund, let me know. I am contributing, and so are you.

Excerpts from two reports posted below:

Tulsa police captain in flap over Islamic invitation files lawsuit By David Harper, World Staff Writer (hat tip Ralph S)

A Tulsa police captain who refused to require that some of his subordinates attend a Law Enforcement Appreciation Day at a Tulsa mosque filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday, claiming that his First Amendment rights have been violated.

Capt. Paul Fields also claims that Deputy Chief Daryl Webster -- the sole defendant in the case at this point -- retaliated against him for his "exercise of his First Amendment rights" and singled out Fields for disparate treatment.

Fields asked for $1 in nominal damages on each of his two claims.

Fields has been assigned to a different division as the department investigates the matter, records show.

He was temporarily transferred Monday afternoon from the Riverside Division to another patrol shift at the Mingo Valley Division.

The Law Enforcement Appreciation Day is scheduled to be held at the mosque of the Islamic Society of Tulsa on March 4. Police Chief Chuck Jordan has said the society scheduled the event to show its appreciation for the officers' response to a threat against them.

In an e-mail sent by Tulsa Fraternal Order of Police Board of Directors Chairman Clay Ballenger to FOP members Monday, Ballenger said Fields' refusal "was based on the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, departmental policy, and past practices of the Tulsa Police Department."

Records show that Fields, 41, was hired by the department in 1995.

Memos obtained by the Tulsa World indicate that Fields believes that a directive by the department to send officers to the event is an unlawful order. Each of the department's three patrol divisions was assigned to schedule at least six officers and three supervisors from the three different shifts to attend the event.

Fields stated that he sought the advice of legal counsel and believes that "forcing me to enter a Mosque when it is not directly related to a police call for service is a violation of my Civil Rights," according to a memo to his supervisor dated Feb. 17.

Read the rest of the article here.

===============

Then there is this illuminating story from the Christian Post, relevant excerpt below:

Okla. Officer Sues Police over Forced Mosque Attendance
By Stephanie Samuel|Christian Post Reporter
...Memos indicate that attendance was initially voluntary. However, Deputy Chief Daryl Webster ordered each patrol division to send six officers and three supervisors, when no one signed up.

A flier from the religious center said that the event would have a “casual come and go atmosphere,” and that officers were welcome to leave at their own discretion. Webster, however, insisted that officers stay no less than half an hour.

Fields felt requiring officers to attend the event was unlawful and in direct conflict with their civil rights.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
It is not clear whether bowing for namaz was considered or not.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
God bless courageous officers.   Everyone should stand strong against Mosques and Sharia.  Know what Taqiya and Sharia Law does to Freedom.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
I guess separation of church and state only applies to Judeo-Christianity.