Author Topic: first time ever at synagogue  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Maccabi

• Pro JTFer
first time ever at synagogue
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:52:24 AM »
well, I went to Chabad tonight. 30 yrs old and I had never been in a Synagogue except maybe a few times many many years ago.

It was pretty cool.

the Rabbi had a decent sense of humor and the guys there showed me what page to look at, even though I only know 1 word of Hebrew. 

I never knew when to say 'Amen' but it was still interesting to read the prayer book (luckily there were more than 10 people there).

I actually sort of like the black hats with the big rims now.

I used to think they were goofy, but now I like how they look on the rabbis.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
Re: first time ever at synagogue
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 02:08:23 AM »
I'm happy for you MackaB, I know that a Chabad synagogue can be intimidating for someone who's rarely been.  I got my Bar Mitzvah at a the Chabad of Pasadena and attended services and the Rabbi there is a fantastic man.  I've had nothing but good experiences with Chabad.  You guys are lucky to have a Chabad and a conservative synagogue in your area.  Where I'm going to be moving, the only synagogue around is a deformed/multi-denominational one.  I'm still debating whether I should even go......  :embarassed: 
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 03:25:42 AM »
Excellent !
Very good, but why did you went to Chabad's Synagogue ?
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Allen-T

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 07:07:09 AM »
Is it common practice to travel if necessary to attend a good Bible teaching Synagogue? We have a church across the street from our house, the people are nice but our church in Manhattan WAS much better, though it's rapidly in decline. We will probably start attending another church in Chelsea which we have visited before that is great. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 09:02:16 AM »
Mazel Tov and Yishar Koach!

Congratulations and all the more strength to you.

My 'conservative' Jewish 'synagogue' can't seem to get enough of Darfur and open homosexuality. The only thing I enjoy about my synagogue is the cantor and the Torah service.  I know this is blasphemy on this board but a few of the women readers are better than most of the regular male readers.

I haven't been to my conserved synogogue in a looong time...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »
Is it common practice to travel if necessary to attend a good Bible teaching Synagogue? We have a church across the street from our house, the people are nice but our church in Manhattan WAS much better, though it's rapidly in decline. We will probably start attending another church in Chelsea which we have visited before that is great. 
Because we cant use cars on Shabbat we must live pretty close to whichever shul we attend
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline Maccabi

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »
My 'conservative' Jewish 'synagogue' can't seem to get enough of Darfur and open homosexuality.

HAHAHA.

I was looking on the net for a Synagogue in my area and I thought maybe I'd go to Hillel...Until I visited the website and saw it had stuff about those 2 "Jewish causes". I probably wouldn't attend any deformed synagogue. 

I also saw some of the printed material they (Hillel) gave to my mom called 'Israel 101'.  On the front cover there is a multi-cultural propoganda pictures with 2 black kids, 2 white kids (2 guys, 2 girls) in front of a flag of Israel.

On the back cover is a picture of a rabbi and some towel wearing guy holding hands in a marketplace titled 'Imagine Peace' (which could be interpreted as homo propoganda).

Allen-T

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 12:40:50 PM »
Because we cant use cars on Shabbat we must live pretty close to whichever shul we attend
What about subway/bus? I don't own a car. Is handling a Metrocard the same as handling money, which if I am correct is also not allowed?

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:31:46 PM »
My 'conservative' Jewish 'synagogue' can't seem to get enough of Darfur and open homosexuality.

HAHAHA.

I was looking on the net for a Synagogue in my area and I thought maybe I'd go to Hillel...Until I visited the website and saw it had stuff about those 2 "Jewish causes". I probably wouldn't attend any deformed synagogue. 

I also saw some of the printed material they (Hillel) gave to my mom called 'Israel 101'.  On the front cover there is a multi-cultural propoganda pictures with 2 black kids, 2 white kids (2 guys, 2 girls) in front of a flag of Israel.

On the back cover is a picture of a rabbi and some towel wearing guy holding hands in a marketplace titled 'Imagine Peace' (which could be interpreted as homo propoganda).

I dont care about the picture of the 2 blacks and 2 whites, remember Ethipian Jews are our brothers, same as any other Jew.

What about subway/bus? I don't own a car. Is handling a Metrocard the same as handling money, which if I am correct is also not allowed?

Using a credit card, or a metro card are out because they serve the same function as money.

And no we arent allowed on buses or subways under normal circumstances
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 03:09:29 PM »
I dont care about the picture of the 2 blacks and 2 whites, remember Ethipian Jews are our brothers, same as any other Jew.

It's propaganda because half of Israel is not black as represented in the pictures.  In the picture, the facts are purposefully altered to portray a distorted sense of reality with the aim of conveying a certain message.  That's called propaganda.  There's nothing wrong with respecting other Jews in Israel, but when you distort reality to support an ideology such as multi-culturalism or acceptance of other people, that's wrong.  There would be nothing wrong if the pictures had lots of children in it, closely representing the true demographics of Israel.

"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Maccabi

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 06:00:18 PM »

It's propaganda because half of Israel is not black as represented in the pictures.  In the picture, the facts are purposefully altered to portray a distorted sense of reality with the aim of conveying a certain message.  That's called propaganda.  There's nothing wrong with respecting other Jews in Israel, but when you distort reality to support an ideology such as multi-culturalism or acceptance of other people, that's wrong.  There would be nothing wrong if the pictures had lots of children in it, closely representing the true demographics of Israel.

Exactly.  I have no problems with black people especially black Jews. would be happy to have some as friends.

But this stuff looks like some crap off of WB network and does not portray real Jewish values.

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement from all who have posted in this thread so far.

I have a pretty good feeling about Chabad as far as the direction I think I want to go.

Offline cosmokramer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 06:21:47 PM »
Glas to hear it MackaB. My first time in a synagougue was 18. I didnt find out I was a Jew untill I was 14.

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »
MakaB! This is great news! I'm so happy for you!
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 08:47:41 PM »
I have a pretty good feeling about Chabad as far as the direction I think I want to go.

I love Chabad and Chassidic philosophy!
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 11:50:43 PM »
Oh, my situation is sort of opposite yours. I used to go to synagogue with my family and stuff but I haven't been there in a real long time. Oh well
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline jsullivan

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 04:14:28 AM »
MackaB, what a wonderful story.

Allen-T

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 07:01:52 AM »
Forgive me if this seems ignorant but I am really curious about this matter; From what I gather being around JTf and reading Kahanist literature, it seems that true orthodox Bible believing Jews are in a minority amongst Jews in general, same as with Christians. Give the utter importance of knowing Gods Word and being part of a living religious community, is it really totally off limits to travel to a good solid Bible based Synagogue when the alternative in your neighborhood is dead spiritually? How do you stay built up spiritually if that's the case?