Author Topic: Mark Steyn on Itamar massacre 3 month old Hadas was decapitated  (Read 579 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/262130/dead-jews-no-news-mark-steyn?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4d7fc608645b5857,0 

Dead Jews Is No News
March 14, 2011 10:41 P.M.
By Mark Steyn   

On Friday night, twelve-year old Tamar Fogel came home to find both her parents, Ruth and Udi Fogel, two brothers Yoav (11) and Elad (four), and her three-month old sister Hadas murdered in their beds. They had had their throats cut and been stabbed through the heart.

That’s not shocking: There is no shortage of young Muslim men who would enjoy slitting the throat of a three-month old baby, and then head home dreaming of the town square or soccer tournament to be named in their honor.

Back in Gaza, the citizenry celebrated the news by cheering and passing out sweets.

That’s not shocking, either: In the broader Palestinian death cult, there are untold legions who, while disinclined to murder Jews themselves, are content to revel in the glorious victory of others.

And out in the wider world there was a marked reluctance to cover the story.

And, if not exactly shocking, that was a useful reminder of how things have changed even in a few years. On 9/11, footage of Palestinians dancing in the streets and handing out candy turned up on the world’s TV screens, and that rancid old queen Arafat immediately went into damage-control mode and hastily arranged for himself to be filmed giving blood. This time round there was no need for damage-control, because there was no damage: The western media simply averted their eyes from their Palestinian house pets’ unfortunate effusions. The Israeli Government released raw footage from the murders, but YouTube yanked the video within two hours. The hip new “social media” are developing almost as exquisitely refined a sense of discretion as the old Social Register.

As Caroline Glick writes:

A decade ago, the revelation that French ambassador to Britain Daniel Bernard referred to Israel as “that shi**y little country,” was shocking. Now it is standard fare.

Today the delegitimization of Israel is all but universal: Indeed, these days Palestinian leaders pay more lip service to the “two-state solution” than Europeans. On Israel’s national day, prominent Britons of Jewish background write to The Guardian to deplore the existence of the Jewish state. And “Israeli Apartheid Week” is multiculti Toronto’s gift to the world.

Demonstrating his uncanny ability to miss the point, the head of the Canadian Jewish Congress tweeted today:

Anonymity breeds ugliness online.

You would think even this sad, irrelevant fool might have noticed that the striking feature of today’s “ugliness” is how non-anonymous it is. Year on year, the world is more cheerfully upfront about its anti-Semitism. Maybe he could ask John Galliano, or Julian Assange.

But sometimes, as when a baby has her throat slashed, what’s not said is just as telling. Recently I was talking to a Hungarian Jew who lived in hiding in Budapest during the Second World War: By 1944, the pro-German government was running short of ammo, so they were obliged to get a little creative. They’d handcuff Jews together in a long chain, stand them on a bridge, put a bullet in the ones at each end, and then push them into the Danube to let the dead weight drag down the ones in between. You have to have a strong stomach for such work, perhaps almost as strong as for killing three-month olds. But, as my friend told his tale, I thought not of the monsters on the bridge, nor even those on the banks cheering, but about the far larger numbers of people scurrying about their business and rationalizing what was going on. That’s what made the difference, then as now.

UPDATE: Claire Berlinski, who is on the scene in Itamar, writes that Hadas was, in fact, decapitated:

Anyone who in any way tries to rationalize or minimize this or to suggest that this is a fitting punishment for anything needs to go out and look at a three-month-old baby and ask himself what it would take to climb over a fence, climb in a window, and cut off that child’s head.   

http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Writing-in-Cold-Blood-About-Itamar
Writing in Cold Blood About Itamar
Claire Berlinski, Ed. · Mar. 13 at 10:33pm

We went yesterday to Itamar, the West Bank settlement where Udi and Ruth Fogel, and their children--Yoav, age 11, Elad, age 4, and Hadas, their 3-month-old daughter--were murdered. A detail that wasn't widely reported, or reported anywhere that I've seen, is that their newborn baby was decapitated.

I shot a lot of video and have several hours of interviews on tape. When I got back last night, after a long day and a long drive, I wrote about it in haste. Owing to the famous Ricochet log-in malfunction, what I wrote disappeared when I tried to post it.

I was frustrated by that last night, but now that I've had some sleep, I'm glad it disappeared. Writing about something like that when exhausted isn't the right way to do it.

Judith correctly observed that an event like this inspired Truman Capote to write a book, and while I don't think I have that in me, what I saw certainly does warrant writing with some thought, after stepping back at least carefully to listen again to what everyone told me. I'm going to wait to write about this until I get back to Istanbul, when I have some time.

One very quick point I'll make is that this was clearly not a family above all of "settlers"--some alien species that exists primarily as a political bargaining point--but of human beings. In the home next door to the one that was invaded, kids' clothing was hanging on the line next to a child's bicycle. You simply cannot look at that and think, "This story is above all about land and politics." This story is above all about murder. They were children and they were murdered. Two more children were orphaned. The children were targeted deliberately. This was a premeditated murder--not a crime of passion or self-defense--and it was a psychotically savage crime. Anyone who in any way tries to rationalize or minimize this or to suggest that this is a fitting punishment for anything needs to go out and look at a three-month-old baby and ask himself what it would take to climb over a fence, climb in a window, and cut off that child's head. If that act seems an "understandable" reaction to a political grievance to him, I don't think we can have much of a conversation. But I don't think it will, on reflection, seem that way to most people.

I did ask people there, "Why would you raise your children in a place like this?" The answer was not one that would satisfy me, if I were a parent. I don't want to do the answer an injustice, but the outline of the answer was--basically--"Things like this aren't the whole story. Look at the lovely organic grapes we grow here. It's truly such a nice place to raise kids. It's so meaningful to us to be in a place so central to Jewish history." I have what they said exactly on video and I'll post more of it next week. For now, here's one voice. This is Leah.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
Re: Mark Steyn on Itamar massacre 3 month old Hadas was decapitated
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
On 9/11, footage of Palestinians dancing in the streets and handing out candy turned up on the world’s TV screens, and that rancid old queen Arafat immediately went into damage-control mode and hastily arranged for himself to be filmed giving blood. <<

"Old queen" is Mark calling Arafat a homo (not that there is anything wrong with that, calling him a homo).  Mark is great but misses something.  Even then Arafat solved the problem of the bad publicity of the celebrations in the street.  His thugs forced the media to stop covering the celebrations and they did so like the obedient dogs they are. 

I read Caroline Glick's essay and her main point was that there will be no sympathy for Israel just because infants get their throats slashed by genocidal maniacs.  On that she is spot on and it is time for the Bibis, Baraks and others to realize that.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Mark Steyn on Itamar massacre 3 month old Hadas was decapitated
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
True, after processing the incident for the first time, I was not shocked that Arabs it..... I was more shocked that it took this long between attacks.