Author Topic: Hero Gurkha awarded top medal for fighting off Taliban  (Read 779 times)

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Hero Gurkha awarded top medal for fighting off Taliban
« on: March 25, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2011/march/25/hero_gurkha_awarded_top_medal.aspx

A Gurkha who single-handedly fought off 12 Taliban insurgents will be awarded second highest military honour, it was revealed today.

Sgt Dip Pun, 32, of the Folkestone-based 1st Battalion Royal Gurkha Rifles, used up all his ammunition and threw grenades at the attackers.

When his weapon was damaged, he lobbed a machine gun tripod at one of the insurgents.

Sgt Dip, who lives in Ashford with his wife Shobha, said: "In that situation 15 minutes is a long time.

"But at the time I didn't worry about anything, I was just fighting. I didn't get a chance to think.

"All I knew was that the Taliban were going to overrun our checkpoint, so acted to save my own life and also my friends."

Sgt Dip received the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross today.

The incident happened when he was one of four soldiers at a small outpost during the Battalion's recent tour of duty in Afghanistant.

Only when all his ammunition had gone did he move into the safety of the sangar.

His actions are cited as being the "bravest" seen in his battalion over two hard tours.

Sgt Dip, who attended a ceremony in Folkestone today, is one of a number of Gurkhas who are set to receive medals for bravery in Afghanistan.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Hero Gurkha awarded top medal for fighting off Taliban
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »
Isnt the Gurqha the tree that Jews are supposed to hide behind?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gharqad

* In the Muslim text Sahih Muslim, Book 041, Number 6985,[7] the boxthorn, or gharqad (in Arabic), is described as 'the tree of the Jews':

The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, oh the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him; but the tree Gharqad would not say, for it is the tree of the Jews.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline TheViper

• Senior JTFer
  • HOLA MI GENTE!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
Isnt the Gurqha the tree that Jews are supposed to hide behind?

Gurkha, also spelled as Gorkha or Ghurka are people from Nepal.
☞I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice☜

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
True and pretty good soldiers when trained
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »
Gorkha are mostly Hindu from Nepal and so their most sacred tree is "Bargad".

Gharqad may be phonetically equivalent to Gorkha + Bargad ~ Gargad.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »
Gorkha are mostly Hindu from Nepal and so their most sacred tree is "Bargad".

Gharqad may be phonetically equivalent to Gorkha + Bargad ~ Gargad.

Interesting... I often look for similarities in words to find a deeper meaning. It is something we do with our holy writings also, deriving deeper meaning than the simple meaning...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14