Author Topic: when i browse the internet i have this problem please help  (Read 1210 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
when i browse the internet i have this problem please help
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »
when i try to open atlas shrugged for example a box pops up that says this and i can';t open        application/octet-stream
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: when i browse the internet i have this problem please help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »
Mord,

It sounds to me like your browser is attempting to display content which it is not able to display. This can be caused by the browsers MIME database becoming corrupted.

What browser are you running? I have seen this message when I futz around with multimedia file plugins. Have you added any plugins which would change the file associations?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »
Mord,

It sounds to me like your browser is attempting to display content which it is not able to display. This can be caused by the browsers MIME database becoming corrupted.

What browser are you running? I have seen this message when I futz around with multimedia file plugins. Have you added any plugins which would change the file associations?

mozzila firefox  :o
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »
mozzila firefox  :o

I did a quick google on this issue... It seems my initial impression was correct, that this relates to plugins which may not be configured properly.. Although it may indicate that the web server which is serving the pages is not configured properly...

Found the following:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_files_using_plugins

Misconfigured web server

Sometimes a misconfigured web server will send a file with an inappropriate MIME type and, instead of the file automatically opening with the browser plugin, an "Opening" dialog box will appear, asking you to either save the file or open it with a chosen external application. This may happen with .wmv (Windows Media Video) files sent as "text/plain" instead of the correct "video/x-ms-wmv" MIME type (see bug 250914, probably related to the fix for bug 220807, outlined here). A Google Groups search shows that this can also occur when downloading .swf (Shockwave Flash) flies and, most likely, other types of files for which a plugin is installed, when the inappropriate "text/plain" MIME type is sent. A similar issue can occur with the "application/octet-stream" MIME type [2]. (Note that the MIME type of the file being downloaded will appear in the Mozilla Suite / SeaMonkey 1.x "Opening" dialog box, but not in Firefox or SeaMonkey 2.) If the problem occurs with some downloads of a particular type file but not others, it is likely that the web server is misconfigured; unfortunately there is nothing you can do in such cases except to contact the website about the problem.

Advanced users can use the Live HTTP Headers to detect the MIME type being sent.

Most responses seem to imply that the problem is an incorrectly configured server.. So maybe it is related to the site you are visiting when that error occurs...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
I did a quick google on this issue... It seems my initial impression was correct, that this relates to plugins which may not be configured properly.. Although it may indicate that the web server which is serving the pages is not configured properly...

Found the following:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_files_using_plugins

Most responses seem to imply that the problem is an incorrectly configured server.. So maybe it is related to the site you are visiting when that error occurs...

It could be because i kept clicking and when the sites connected i clicked cancel on the info box  and it worked

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
URL? Like what was the link?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 02:16:52 AM »
[humor]
Then don't browse the internet!
[/humor]

http://www.funny2.com/henny.htm

The Doctor says, "You'll live to be 60!" "I AM 60!" "See, what did I tell you?"

A doctor says to a man, "You want to improve your love life? You need to get some exercise. Run ten miles a day." Two weeks later, the man called the doctor. The doctor says, "How is your love life since you have been running?" "I don't know, I'm 140 miles away!"

The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that!"

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 09:09:17 PM »
where's mord-man.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774