Author Topic: Is Charvonah a Gentile, or was he Eliyahu the Prophet in disguise?  (Read 7569 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Is Charvonah a Gentile, (who probably had incorrect beliefs about G-d) or was he Eliyahu (Elijah) the prophet in disguise. In other words do we owe this Gentile a debt of gratitude or does all the credit go to Eliyahu, acting as an agent of G-d.
First a quick review, since I assume some readers know very little about the Bible. In the biblical book of Esther, an evil man named Haman, influences the Persian King who ruled over 127 states to issue a decree of Genocide against the Jewish people. The Bible tells how Mordechai and Esther struggled to undo the evil decree and save the Jews. They succeeded in getting the Persian King, angry at Haman and then at a key point, when the king was already angry at Haman, Charvonah adds, that Haman had prepared a tree to execute Mordechai by Hanging on the very day, when the King had decided to reward Mordechai for saving his life, years earlier.
The King said hang Haman on that tree. Mordechai was then appointed as second in command and used his influence to allow the Jews to take revenge against all that sought their harm.
On the holiday of Purim, after reading the book of Esther, there is a prayer that we recite that sums up our feelings about some of the key individuals in the story.
Accursed be Haman who sought to destroy me, blessed be Mordechai the Yehudi,. Accursed be Zeresh the wife of my terrorizer, blessed be Esther [who sacrificed] for me - and Charvonah, too, be remebered for good.{translation by Artscroll Siddur}.
The need to show gratitude to Charvonah is also brought down in Shulchan Aruch, O.C. 690:16, and the Vilna Gaon traces the source to the Rosh, who cites the Yerushalmi in tractate Megilla.
But who is Charvonah?
The simple answer is that he was a Persian official and I will try to bring a source later on, (bli neder). There is however, a view of some Rabbis, that it was Eliyahu the prophet who impersonated Charvonah. I intend to say more about this later on. But I thought that it is best for the article, to present it stages and at different times.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Is Charvonah a Gentile, or was he Eliyahu the Prophet in disguise?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:24:05 PM »
Wow, I never knew about this opinion that Eliyahu was involved in this story somehow.   That's really interesting, although I think you know which opinion I think is correct.

But let me ask this, according to those who suggest it was Eliyahu in disguise, why is the bracha worded in such a way?   ie - 'and charvonah too'     - that language in itself implies this was someone who wasn't necessarily associated with us, yet did something in our favor and so we should thank him, as an additional thing.    How would that possibly be a way to speak of Eliyahu, had he taken a role there?     Similarly, why would we need to be instructed specifically to be thankful toward Eliyahu if it was him?    It makes much more sense if that is some Persian official who stood up for us when he didn't have to, and while God would have saved us (that's the theme of the story) still we owe him thanks for the part he played and we do have to be told that.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:39:19 PM »
In Talmud Bavli tractate Megilla page 16 Rabbi Elazar, gives his viewpoint about Charvonah, I will rely on the Soncino translation to make things easier. Charvonah was also a wicked man and implicated in that plot (several commentaries explain he was part of the plot to hang Mordechai and that's how he knew all the details about the tree that was set up to hang Mordechai). When he saw that his plan was not working he at once fled, and so it is written, "And he cast upon him and did not pity, from his hand he surely fleeth"(Iyov/Job 27:22, the commentaries, explain that this verse is a reference to evil plotters, such as Charvonah that will cast all the fault on their fellow sinner and not pity in order to flee from potential harm when their plot starts to fail.)
Some Midrashim, such as Pirkei De Rebbi Eliezer (Chorev, Chapter 49) and Esther Rabba , hold that it was Eliyahu the prophet who impersonated Charvonah, who squealed against Haman. Maharil, and Maharzu to Bereishit Rabba 49:1 say that "zachur latov" (=may he be remembered for good) is often appended to the name of Eliyahu {In Bircat Hamazon, we say The All-merciful will send to us Eliyahu the Prophet, zachur latov). This is the same praise, zachur latov, given to Charvonah, thus indicating that it was really Eliyahu. Others say that the type of message, he had to say was fitting for someone with the status of Eliyahu. I also read from some source that I can't remember that the spelling of Charvonah is slightly different, when he speaks good about the Jews then it is  when his name is first mentioned in Esther 1:10, thus hinting that the Charvonah in chapter 7 is Eliyahu in disguise. Also, in the story of Nachum Ish Gamzu, there the Talmud explicitly, stated that Eliyahu impersonated a Roman official in order to save Nachum Ish Gamzu, and the Jewish people from the Roman Emperor.
    Malbim in his commentary to Esther 6:14 seems to be going with a third view that Charvonah happened to hear about the plot to hang Mordechai, when Haman was speaking to his advisors and wife, if he is likely to succeed against Mordechai after he had already suffered a great failure, when the King had forced him to honor his Jewish enemy.
    I also found evidence in Yalkut Shimoni (to Esther , remez 1059) that there are 3 major viewpoints about Charvonah. Namely, the 3 cited above.
Here the opinions are attributed to different Rabbis than in other sources.
Rabbi Chama the son of Chanina said, even the wicked Charvonah was in on that plot; but when he saw that his suggestion was not being fulfilled, immediately, he ran away. This is as it is stated, "And he cast upon him and did not pity, from his hand he surely fleeth"(Iyov/Job 27:22). Rav said, Charvonah, may he be  remembered for good, yet there are those that say, in that hour Eliyahu, "zachur latov", came and impersonated Charvonah.
    I hope to add more about this subject later on.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »
I know my comment doesn't quite relate to what you are talking about here but I will discuss it anyway.

In the Megillah Ester there are a couple of places where divine providence through the action of Malachim {Angels} can be seen.

It is said that it was an angel who actually pushed Haman so that he would fall on the couch that Esther was laying on just in time for the King to catch him. It was this, his falling on Esthers couch, which compelled the King to have Haman hung. I have heard it said that it was Angel Michael who did this, although I believe that there is some disagreement on this (most sources identify the angel as Gavriel)...

WebShas lists the following 4 events in the story of Esther involving Angelic intervention. Also listed are the Talmudic volume which relates this story.

http://www.webshas.org/torah/bichtav/tanach/purim/estach.htm

* The 3 Angels who accompanied Esther to Achashverosh, and aided her in gaining his approval and sceptre: Megillah 15b

* Esther first pointing to Achashverosh in identifying the Jews' enemy, then an Angel turning her hand toward Haman: Megillah 16a

* An Angel pushing Haman down on Esther's bed, as Achashverosh entered: Megillah 16a

* Achashverosh was planning to protest the Jews' pillage of their enemies, to Esther; an Angel slapped him and he changed his sentence: Megillah 16b

This site claims that it was the Angel Gavriel who pushed Haman:

Immediately afterwards, a crestfallen Haman is whisked to the second Royal dinner, hosted by Esther. At the dinner she reveals to the King that she is Jewish and that Haman is an enemy of the King because he seeks to destroy the Jewish people.

The embarrassed and angry King storms out of the room. Haman pleads to Esther for his life. He "somehow" loses his balance and falls on the couch where Esther is reclining. (The Malach (Angel) Gavriel pushed him.) The King comes back at just this moment. He is very upset and blows up.

On the spot, Charvona, a royal minister tells the King about the gallows Haman constructed for Mordechai, who saved the King's life. The King orders Haman to be hanged on the gallows intended for Mordechai.

And this also explains this:

"...And the judge shall *throw him down* (root: 'Nofel')... ."

This verse suggests Haman's eventual punishment. In the Purim story, Haman's final downfall came when Ester the Queen revealed to Achashverosh the King that Haman was out to destroy her and her nation the Jews. While the King left the palace to consider the matter, Haman fell on Ester's couch and begged her for mercy. When the King returned, he found Haman fallen on the couch at Ester's feet. The King turned to Haman and said 'You even want to take away my Queen!' Haman was immediately sentenced to death (Megillat Ester 7:6-9). The Gemara tells us that Haman had meant to stand up when he saw the King returning, but Hashem did not allow him to stand up (Megilla 16a). Hashem sent an angel to come and push him down, and he remained fallen ("Nofel") on the couch of Ester where the King found him. The verse in Devarim suggests to us this episode. The judge -- meaning Hashem -- threw Haman down.

http://www.shemayisrael.com/yomtov/purim/sedrah_purim68.htm

Ch. 7, v. 4: “Ki nimkarnu ani v’ami l’hashmid” – Because we were sold I and my nation to be destroyed – The gemara Megiloh 16a says that when Achashveirosh asked Esther who was the person who planned to destroy her and her nation, she attempted to point her finger squarely at Achashveirosh himself, as he was the covert enemy who harboured even more hatred towards the bnei Yisroel than did Homon. An angel interceded and forced her finger towards Homon. Rashi says that this is derived from the lengthy description, “Ish tzar v’oyeiv Homon horo ha’zeh,” when it would have sufficed to just say, “Homon ho’ro ha’zeh.” “Ish tzar v’oyeiv” is Achashveirosh. There might be another indication that Esther was about to say that Achashveirosh was the villain, based on these words of our verse. In truth the problem wasn’t that they were sold. It is that they were purchased by someone who had diabolical plans for them. Why didn’t she say “ki lukachnu?” We see that she was about to accuse Achashveirosh, the seller. (Nirreh li)    

In this one the angels are identified as Michael & Gavriel:

http://www.arachimusa.org/Index.asp?ArticleID=544&CategoryID=127&Page=1

G-d was angry with Haman, and declared: “Since this evil-doer has slain the messenger of Mordecai and Esther, I shall send My angels, Michael and Gabriel, to be their messengers and to carry out any orders they are given.”

The two angels went to Mordecai and told him what Esther had replied.  He sent them back to her to tell her: “Know, Esther, that you have been chosen as queen only in order to save your people. If you remain silent at this time, relief and rescue will arrive for the Jews from another source, and you and your father’s house will be lost.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »
I will add a minor clarification so as not to be accused of misquoting
When I mentioned Yalkut Shimoni (to Esther , remez 1059) that there is a view that Eliyahu, "zachur latov", came and impersonated Charvonah, in the original source that is in my possesion, it just uses the abbreviation z.l. after the name of Eliyahu. Based on what I brought in the name of Maharil and Maharzu, I interpreted the abbreviation as "zachur latov", although those that wish to interpret the abbreviation differently are free to do so.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
I have just glanced through some of Mesechet Megillah 15b - 16a and I found what you mentioned...

http://halakhah.com/pdf/moed/Megilah.pdf

‘Then said the king, Will he even force the queen before me in the house? Then said Harbonah, etc.’ R. Eleazar said: Harbonah also was a wicked man and implicated in that plot.35 When he saw that his plan was not succeeding, he at once fled, and so it is written, And he cast upon him and did not pity, from his hand he surely fleeth.36

(35) To hang Mordecai. [Otherwise how would he have known the exact measurements of the gallows.]
(36) Job XXVII, 22.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
This site doesn't discuss the Eliyahu connection, but it describes some of who Charvonah was...

http://modzitz.org/torah/adar.htm

Purim

"V'Gam Charvonah Zachur LaTov". The Gemara in Megillah (Daf Tes Zayin, Amud Alef) relates that Charvonah was a Rasha, an acquaintance of Haman, and a participant in the evil plot to kill Bnei Yisrael. When he saw "how the wind was blowing" and realized that Haman's plot was falling apart, he changed sides, and told Achashveros about the tree that Haman had set up to hang Mordechai.

Knowing this, why is it that in Shoshanas Yaakov we say, "V'Gam Charvonah Zachur LaTov" - and also Charvonah we should remember for good? It could be said, yes he was a Rasha, but he changed sides and his revelations helped to bring about Haman's downfall. So, we should remember him.

But there is also a deeper meaning to be found. The Megillah quotes Charvonah, as saying, "Gam Hineh HaEtz," also here is the tree. What we should remember for good is the words of Charvonah - beginning with "Gam." Had Charvonah not changed sides and spoken up at that moment - Haman might have been able to find a way to defend himself against Esther's charges.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 10:47:15 PM »
Hmm pretty interesting thanks for the citations and translations.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
I will add a minor clarification so as not to be accused of misquoting
When I mentioned Yalkut Shimoni (to Esther , remez 1059) that there is a view that Eliyahu, "zachur latov", came and impersonated Charvonah, in the original source that is in my possesion, it just uses the abbreviation z.l. after the name of Eliyahu. Based on what I brought in the name of Maharil and Maharzu, I interpreted the abbreviation as "zachur latov", although those that wish to interpret the abbreviation differently are free to do so.

Don't we say 'Zachor LaTov' when we mention someone who has died. It basically means to be remembered for the good...

I also found this little Q&A on this topic:

http://www.hakhel.info/March11DailyEmail.html
QUESTION:  Why is Charvona “Zachor Latov”?

ANSWER:    Some learn that the officer Charvona is spelled earlier in the Megillah with an “Aleph”, and later in the Megillah with a “Hey” (when he tells Achashveirosh about Haman’s tree) because it is actually not the same person.  Earlier in the Megillah (1:10) he is an officer of Achashveirosh.  Later, it is Eliyahu HaNavi, merely posing as Charvona, who we remember for the good.  Others learn that the officer Charvona had Hirhurei Teshuva, and is thus remembered for the good.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:47:03 AM »
Can we deduce from the fact that we recite after the reading of the book of Esther on Purim, “and Charvonah, too, be remembered for good" which is the opinion that seems to be getting approval?

I believe we can. But I will first try to be fair to the opinions that do not agree with my conclusions.

Those that hold that Charvonah is Eliyahu, will have to say like Aruch Hashulchan [Hilchot Megilla, Siman 690, halacha 22]

that the mere fact that Eliyahu chose to impersonate Charvonah gives him enough merit, for us to say ,"and Charvonah, too, be remembered for good".

On the other end of the spectrum, Muman613 brought in this discussion, some rabbinic opinion that holds that even though Charvonah was part of the evil plot, he deserves some credit from us for changing sides at a key moment, even if his motivation was for the wrong reason.

I however, disagree for several reasons.

Reason 1], the wording ,"and Charvonah, too, be remembered for good", most closely fits the third opinion which I brought in the Yalkut Shimoni quote above, which holds that Charvonah was a Gentile, official, who was not connected to the plot to hang Mordechai.

Reason 2] If Eliyahu was Charvonah, why is he not mentioned at all explicitly in our prayer of thanks. 

Reason 3] A parallel passage to the Yerushalmi, which is our main source for the prayer of thanks after reading the book of Esther is in tractate Sofrim chapter 14.
There it says: "Afterwards one extols the righteous, Blessed be Mordechai, Blessed be Esther, and blessed be Israel. Rav states, one has to say Accursed be Haman and Accursed be his sons. Rabbi Pinchas states, and one has to say Charvonah, may he be  remembered for good".

In this source, it is Rabbi Pinchas not Rav, who demands that

Charvonah, may he be  remembered for good (although it is quite possible that both are in agreement on the issue, and so some places one of them is given the credit and in other places the other Rabbi is given the credit).
In this source, the clear implication is that Charvonah is someone outside of the nation of Israel, thus excluding Eliyahu.

A substantial number of prominent Rabbis, also had the text of the Yerushalmi saying a statement similar to that of tractate Sofrim chapter 14, such as, Tosafot Ha-Rosh to Megilla page 7, Tur, and Shulchan Aruch to O.C. chapter 690. However,  they use different terms to stand for the good group, Israel, and they also add a  bad group to the list of those that should be cursed, . However, what is common to all these statements, is that Charvonah is someone in the gray area between good and bad, who we have to be told explicitly that it is  a requirement to remember him for good.

Reason 4) If an Israeli spy impersonated an Iranian Radical Islamic Terrorist, in order to bring the downfall of the modern Iranian Hitler, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, I would feel no obligation to remember the true Iranian Radical Islamic Terrorist for Good. I see no reason, to remember Charvonah for good, just because Eliyahu might have impersonated him.

Reason 5) Similarly, I think it is going overboard to praise some Big Anti-Semite who plans to kill Jews, simply,  because he betrays his fellow Anti-Semite, when he sees that it is politically dangerous for him to continue on his current path. So for example, when the new Iraqi government executed, Sadaam Hussein, for their own political reasons not connected to wanting to help the Jews, I see no Rabbi that demanded that we give the Iraqis any special praise for their action. So too, I don't think the rabbis would demand we remember Charvonah for good, if he was an evil man, who was just a clever political opportunist.

Reason 6] There are a number of wicked people in the Tanach, who had political  or economic reasons to nevertheless help the nation of Israel. Just as those political opportunists aren't granted any special praise, I don't see why Charvona would be singled out for praise more than the other political opportunists in the Tanach .That is to say, if we indeed were to  accept the view that Charvonah was an Anti-Semite, who betrayed his friend, Haman just because the political winds were shifting,

Reason 7] Talmud Bavli, Tractate Avoda Zara 2b implies that Gentiles don't get credit if they do things that benefit the nation of Israel, when they only had the intention when doing those activities of helping themselves with their physical needs and desires and did not intend at all to help  Israel. Although if you wish to quibble with me, you could argue on this point, that although they don't get big credit for these type of actions, maybe they get minor credit.
Regarding this point, one might contend, revolved the famous story of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai, Rabbi Yehuda and Rabbi Yosi. Where Rabbi Yehuda wanted to praise the Romans for their accomplishments. Rabbi Yosi remained silent (and was punished for his mere silence by the Romans who exiled the rabbi from his city) and Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai said they do not deserve any credit at all, because all their accomplishments, they do for their own physical needs and desires. And in the end Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai had to hide with his son for many years in a cave to avoid execution by the angry Romans.
And even if one wants to agree with Rabbi Yehuda's viewpoint, even he probably would not go so far, as to institute a public prayer of thanks, to wicked Anti-Semites who betray their companions, because if that were true, we would even have to add the King of Persia, Achashverosh to the list of those that get praise, and it is well known that we do not do so.