Author Topic: Rosh Hashanah Custom : Dipping the Apple into the Honey...  (Read 2362 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rosh Hashanah Custom : Dipping the Apple into the Honey...
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:20:42 AM »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Rosh Hashanah Custom : Dipping the Apple into the Honey...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:29:03 AM »
This new video from The Maccabeats is pretty nice...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:00:04 AM »
The guy just ruined those electronics!!  :o

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:22:23 AM »
The second phone he put in looks like the front is made of plastic. He might have used some replica's that shops use for display.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:30:46 AM »
The second phone he put in looks like the front is made of plastic. He might have used some replica's that shops use for display.

I think you're right!  :D

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »
I like dipping the real apple into the honey better.  ;D
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
I've eaten apples (gala is a good variety) with honey before. It's good combination. I think it's healthy too. Honey and Apples are two of the foods listed on that world's healthiest food site.

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »
I've eaten apples (gala is a good variety) with honey before. It's good combination. I think it's healthy too. Honey and Apples are two of the foods listed on that world's healthiest food site.

I'm not sure if it mixes that well. Apple is more cold natured and honey is more warm natured.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 02:49:11 PM »
I'm not sure if it mixes that well. Apple is more cold natured and honey is more warm natured.

Well if it creates a conflict you can bake the apples first and enjoy them that way, probably good with some cinnamon and honey!

There's a variety of apple I bought at HEB called Zestar. It's sort of tart like a granny smith apple but sweet like a gala. It's got a pretty intense flavor. I think it would go great with honey or in a pie.

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
THE ROSH HASHANNA SIMANIM, SOUL FOOD of REDEMPTION
by Yehudah BenLewi on Monday, 26 September 2011 at 17:38

The Rosh Hashanna Simanim, is certainly 'Soul Food' both literally and symbolically...

Throughout the history of mankind and across all cultures there have been the use symbols to express their awareness of the Creator and the creative forces that benefited mankind.

These expressions resulted in symbolic stories known as myths, legends or folklore, which have been passed down to express abstract or moral ideas, such as truth, righteousness, honor, love, wisdom, forgiveness and courage.

Our prophets and sages are not exempt from such innate human nature in expressing its importance in spiritual refinement, victory over our foes and obtaining a closer relationship with our Creator.

The prophet Yeshiyahu/Isaiah told his student named Barukh ben Neriya, ‘When you finish reading this letter (scroll or book), tie a stone onto it and cast it into the Euphrates and declare, ‘So shall Bavli sink into oblivion!’ Isaiah 51,63

The same is with Elisha ha-navi, when he told the king to shoot after touching his bow, and the king shot three times, immediately afterwards Elisha said, ‘this is an arrow of salvation for G-d, an arrow of salvation against Aram’. 2 Kings 13,17

This is also repeated when we sit at a Pesah seder, Tu B'Shevat, Sukah, etc… Our holydays are replete with high spiritual symbolism.

We often call the acts of symbolism, rituals. Indeed a ritual can be passed down as a family tradition, or as a community halakhic ruling…

Rosh HaShanna is no different than any other Yom Tov, it has its own ‘seder’ or order of symbologies, which are expressed through a selection of foods explained and taught by our sages.

“R. Abaye said, Now that it has been told that omens are of significance, for a man should make a regular habit of eating on Rosh HaShanna, karah = pumpkin (squash), rubya = black eyed peas, karti = leek, silka = spinach and tamri = dates.” Bavli Talmud, Horayoth 12a

Additionally, in the Bavli Talmud Masekhta Keritoth, says the same, but the only difference, it speaks of gazing at these foods, instead of eating them.

Our sages say that this teaches, even if one they couldn’t take part by eating, they’ve still fulfilled the miswah by gazing at them, however they must say a blessing to seal the miswah.

As a child, I remember smoked black eyed peas, spinach, savory leeks that are often found in stews, squash also being favorites among Afro-Americans as a dish or as the famous butternut squash pie. Oh, lets not also forget the fried fish and apple pie. Dates, almonds and pecan were also among the sweet favorites found among the dishes of the south.

However, these foods are also commonly found among Jews on Rosh HaShanna, which symbolizes G-d's redemption for Israel.

On the black eyed peas we pray in hopes of our merits will increase, on the leeks we say, ‘may our enemies be lower than the earth’, on the Spinach we say, ‘may all of our enemies vanish, this includes our yeser hara’, on the dates we say ‘may our enemies cease’, on the squash we say, ‘may any ill decree be overturned because of the merits of our forefathers’ on the pomegranates we say, ‘may our merits be as plentiful as the seeds of this fruit’ on the lamb head or fish head we say, ‘may we be the head and not the tail’, and on the apples, we dip them in honey as we say, ‘may the new year be sweet for us’.

It is because of our sins, we have suffered from four exiles, awaiting the redemption of our G-d. However, the scripture tells us that G-d's portion are His people. As the Ben Ish Hai z"l, has taught homiletically, that ‘amo’ (his people) can be expressed as ‘imo’ (with Him). -Yammim Shalom-

Meaning that Hashem's portion is with Israel/Ya'akov, and the same is for Ya'akov's inheritance, which is G-d.

Since G-d is eternal and we are His lot, then Israel is also eternal. You see being in exile, is being in a state of a need to search out and to yearn for G-d's divine Presence, and we will ultimately fulfill our purpose, by learning from our misdeeds and becoming a light to the nations.

Appropriately, G-d meted out punishment and/or a lesson for our own good, and as Yeshiyahu ha-navi said, so that our souls would offer itself as a restitution, that we may see our children, prolong and the length of our days, and that the purpose of HaShem might prosper by Israel's hand... Yeshiyahu 53,10

So as we eat on this day, symbolically, we remember our sins, our purpose and our lot. Even in this G-d is with us, for we are not alone, "Do not fear, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your G-d. I strengthen you, I helped you, I even now, I support you with the right hand of My righteousness." Yeshiyahu 41,10

So as we eat or gaze at the food of 'redemption', let it nourish you and strengthen you as we remember and pray that our souls will receive the salvation of our G-d, and that the messiah may come speedily in our days. Indeed these foods are good for the soul. A good year to you all, hazakh barukh & Shalom...

This article is dedicated to Rav Yosef Shalom Katan and his family…