Author Topic: Interesting photos from the Uman pilgrimage  (Read 721 times)

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
Interesting photos from the Uman pilgrimage
« on: October 09, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »
These photos are in two parts. They are from last year and show the yearly pilgrimage of Chasidic Jews to Uman for the New Year. This is very interesting. The text is in Russian. But the text doesn't matter. The pictures tell the story. One important piece of information is that the number of pilgrims was 15,000 last year and is growing every year. My family is from Uman. I wish I had some property there. Now I would be rich renting it every year.

http://zyalt.livejournal.com/296452.html
http://zyalt.livejournal.com/296822.html

It looks like they are break-dancing. Are they?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Interesting photos from the Uman pilgrimage
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »
These photos are in two parts. They are from last year and show the yearly pilgrimage of Chasidic Jews to Uman for the New Year. This is very interesting. The text is in Russian. But the text doesn't matter. The pictures tell the story. One important piece of information is that the number of pilgrims was 15,000 last year and is growing every year. My family is from Uman. I wish I had some property there. Now I would be rich renting it every year.

http://zyalt.livejournal.com/296452.html
http://zyalt.livejournal.com/296822.html

It looks like they are break-dancing. Are they?

Shalom my Family,

My family too is from Uman, my last name is Uman and it is a long story how that happened {though you probrobly know because your family probably entered America through the same way}...

Breslov Chassidus is very much into joy and happiness. Rabbi Nachman, who is buried in Uman, was the Rebbe for Breslev and his song 'Kol HaOlam Kulo' is sung by many Jews on Shabbat today. In Israel some of the Breslevers do go around in vans dancing and singing in the streets...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
I haven't heard of the last name Uman'. I have heard of the name Umanski.perhaps your ancestors have shortened their family name. My family name was Krymski. I used to think that the family came from Crimea, but a name expert told me that it probably comes from the name of a small village that is (was) in the vicinity of Uman'. My ancestor, I was told, was the main Rabbi of Uman' in the 19th century. I wish I could find some info on him. Maybe one of these days I should go to Uman and try to find the info on him. I wonder if there is an old synagogue that has kept records and how I would go about it.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »
Hey, muman, maybe my family knew your family! Ha-ha. Or maybe not. There were a lot of Jews in Uman'. Perhaps they did not all know each other.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
Hey, muman, maybe my family knew your family! Ha-ha. Or maybe not. There were a lot of Jews in Uman'. Perhaps they did not all know each other.

It is a small world... Yes, a lot of Jews left Uman, but it was a community... I think we have talked about the story Fiddler on the Roof. Although it is not about Uman it is in a way similar to how the Jewish communities in Ukraine were at that time. My family came to America in the 1890s and left in time to avoid pogroms of that era.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
My family came to America in the 1890s and left in time to avoid pogroms of that era.

They were lucky/smart!

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 06:29:36 PM »
Do you still feel sorry for the Nazi Japanese, Masha?

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 06:40:25 AM »
By the way, muman, was your family Chasidic? I don't think that my family was Chasids, judging from the old photographs. But they were, for sure, religious. Was there more than one kind of religious Jews in this geographical area in those days?

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 07:48:11 AM »
Here are even more photos from the same event by another journalist. I like these even better. Many beautiful, spiritual Jewish faces.

http://chistoprudov.livejournal.com/49002.html