Torah and Jewish Idea > Torah and Jewish Idea

The Bermuda Triangle and The Existince of an Overseas Solomonic Empire

<< < (4/5) > >>

Sarah:
That is very true jeffguy and i blame technology! :)
The ancients were wise but also ignorant, what enabled them to be so at times is that fact that they were able to believe without questioning too much. They knew what was morally correct and didn't need the same teaching we do today.

Lubab:

--- Quote from: Sarah on June 18, 2007, 03:25:06 PM ---
Have you ever heard about the two seas, one with sweet water and the other with salty water, meeting at a point yet never mizing together? Is there such thing in the Torah?

--- End quote ---

There is, but I've yet to locate it.
This is the closest thing I can come up with right now.

The tenth verse of the Torah states (Genesis 1:10)
10. And G-d called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters He called seas, and G-d saw that it was good.

The commentary Rashi writes:

"He called it 'seas' But is it not one sea? However, the flavor of a fish that comes up from the sea in Acre differs from the flavor of a fish that comes up from the sea in Spain. — [from Ekev 39]"

My friend I spoke to said there is a talmudic passage even more on point which is probably where the Nazi Koran got it from, but I haven't found where the quote is yet.
I'm going to ask another friend of mine when I see him.

New Edit: I once heard from a reliable source that the Nazi Koran was written with the help of an Italian JEW, as Mohomed was illeterate. This probably accounts for the basterdized resemblences to Talmudic passages that appear there.

Lubab:

--- Quote from: Sarah on June 19, 2007, 04:44:35 PM ---That is very true jeffguy and i blame technology! :)
The ancients were wise but also ignorant, what enabled them to be so at times is that fact that they were able to believe without questioning too much. They knew what was morally correct and didn't need the same teaching we do today.

--- End quote ---

I blame modern psedo-intellectuals. Today many of these folks feel that they make themselves into big geniuses when they take a superficial reading of an ancient passages and mock them.

They don't have the humility to think for a moment that what the Torah was saying might have been something deeper than the way they understand it.   

The ancients were not nerely as ignorant as these folks would have us believe.

They would have us believe that the first man was a caveman or better yet an ape and today we're the smart ones.

In fact the first man was Adam, who had more wisdom than all the generations that came out from him put together.

Sarah:
Beautifully said lubab.

Lubab:

--- Quote from: Sarah on June 18, 2007, 03:25:06 PM ---Have you ever heard about the two seas, one with sweet water and the other with salty water, meeting at a point yet never mizing together? Is there such thing in the Torah?

--- End quote ---

Okay. With the help of my Rabbi I was able to locate where in the Torah it talks about the non-mixing of the salty and sweet water.
The quote we were looking for is in the Midrash. It's Midrash Rabba Parshat Korach (last weeks Torah portion) Parsha 18 Chapter 22.

The Midrash for those that don't know is one part of the written version of the Oral Torah handed down from Sinai, and ultimately written down before and around the time of the writting down of the Talmud in around the 5th Century.

In this section the Midrash is discussing the wisdom with which G-d created the world so it's all prepared to take care of humans and their needs. (it got on this topic by discussing that the hole which swallowed up Korach and his men was there from the beginning of creation).

It cites an anthoropomorphic "discussion" between the sea and G-d, when the sea was being created. G-d told the sea that all the waters would be one sea really, whereupon the sea "complained" and "said": "Master if so, my sweet waters will be mixed in with my salty waters, [lubab: it appears the sea was "complaining" that no one would be able to drink from it b/c the sweet waters it had would become contaminated by the salty one's"-to which G-d responded "No. Each one [of the waters] will have it's own domain"

The Midrash goes on to say that if you don't beleive that waters can be together without mixing, then just look at a person's head which contains several liquids that are all very close to eachother, and yet don't mix, as we see that the fluid that comes out of one's eyes, ears, mouth and nose are all very different and have different flavors, some salty some not etc.

Lubab: Now put this together with the quote above about the fish, and now you know where the Koran got it from.
It is truly a great wisdom in the world that there are parts of the ocean from which humans can drink and yet they don't get contaminated by the salty waters, when in fact all those seas do touch at some point. So there must be these natural barriers that block the flow at some point. And thank G-d for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version