Author Topic: Healthy food: Durian  (Read 584 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Healthy food: Durian
« on: November 05, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
I just tried Durian for the first time and I LOVED it!

It tastes like a mix between sweet onions, vanilla pudding, and banana. That might not sound appetizing, but I don't think I've ever had a more delicious fruit. It was sweeter than I thought it was going to be (I was expecting a very strong onion flavor). I had a small portion for 133 calories.  ;D

I'm looking forward to trying some more of it doing what the Vietnamese lady at the store suggested and using it in a smoothie. I think it would blend well with bananas and milk.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Healthy food: Durian
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »
Wow, this is the first I've ever heard of such a fruit.  How are you doing otherwise with your healthy eating, Rubystars? 

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:47:18 PM »
Wow, this is the first I've ever heard of such a fruit.  How are you doing otherwise with your healthy eating, Rubystars?  

I'm having a lot of fun with it, always finding new things to try which are also low calorie. I got a lot of fruit and other interesting goodies from the Asian market yesterday and haven't tried them all yet.  ;D I tried some dragonfruit (a little sour plain but tasted good with some sweet and low on it, brought out the flavor of it). I've got some persimmons I'm ripening and I've got some rambutans I'm going to try tomorrow.

There was even something called (I kid you not) Jew's ear fungus. It came with a 3 little packets of sesame seed oil, chili oil, and 5 spice powder, very pungent but tasted good and not too hot. It tastes a lot better than it sounds.  :::D

I also got some purple yam cubes and 3 different types of yam from the produce section, and some packages of interesting seafood.

;D

I checked the fridge and there's other stuff I got too, tried the tahitian apple stuff today that was interesting... kind of like pickled salty little green fruits. There are also something called gingko nuts in there, haven't tried that yet either.

I feel like I've been on Iron Chef.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:54:29 PM by Rubystars »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
I think its a great tasting fruit, one of my favorite.  HOWEVER, it smells bloody awful.  Be careful if you take it home, and make sure it stays frozen, because that stuff is pungent.

Also, some people think it tastes as bad as it smells....   I'm not sure why, but I guess certain people are just kinda hard-wired not to like certain foods.

Here is what I am talking about.  This is an actual sign in an Kuala Lumpur.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:47:32 AM »
Briann maybe it helps that I've always liked the smell of onions/garlic.   ;D

What a cute sign!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
Discussion of non-kosher food in this post, if that disturbs anyone don't read the rest of it!

Instant Jellyfish, the package said it would be "Better tasty" to use the sesame oil and flavorings that came with it, I agree. The flavorings (some garlicy stuff) was good. The jellyfish itself tastes like rubber bands and has the same texture as rubber bands. I'll finish the bowl because it's only 60 calories a package and the flavorings make it "better tasty" enough to finish.

Well update, I didn't finish all the jellyfish, but I was able to get about 90% of the package down. lol I don't think I'll be picking that up next time I go there, but it was worth a try.  ;D

Now I'm trying "Sweet Garden Instant Lotus Leaf Hanthorn Crystal Beverage". It's got a lot of sugar (you'd need a lot of sugar if you ate that non-kosher food item above too) but it only comes in at 56 calories so I'm going to drink it. The Engrish instructions make me giggle:

"Pour 220cc hot (or ice) water into one cup to stir or shake it, then you may eat it instantly"

So I'm going to go shake my cup full of water around and I'll report back in a bit after I instantly eat the drink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BLAND! So I added some sweet and low packets to it and now it tastes sort of like hibiscus tea/Red Zinger.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:21:34 AM by Rubystars »