Author Topic: Chaim posted a Dvar Torah!  (Read 648 times)

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
Chaim posted a Dvar Torah!
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
I could not be happier!
Thank you Chaim!
And a thanks for Dr Dan who always asked for them in the ask JTF.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Chaim posted a Dvar Torah!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:45:41 PM »
I love the dvar Torahs especially since I don't go to shul on shabbat.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:54 PM »
I love the dvar Torahs especially since I don't go to shul on shabbat.

You should go... It is very good to daven in a minyan... Unless you need to drive of course... Then it is better to stay at home and daven {but invite others to daven with you}.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:52:21 PM »
You should go... It is very good to daven in a minyan... Unless you need to drive of course... Then it is better to stay at home and daven {but invite others to daven with you}.

That's the problem.  I would have to drive
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »
That's the problem.  I would have to drive

Dr Dan, one minor suggestion... It is respectful to spell Shabbat with a capital S. I know that sometimes I am a stickler for correct spelling and punctuation but it is a Jewish idea that Shabbat too is a name of Hashem, and as such it should be respected.

It is fitting that when I did a web search for this topic I came across a shuir given by the Holy Shlomo Carlebach. Just this week was the yartzeit of Rabbi Carlebachs death. I will post the end of the shuir here:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/carlebach-shabbos/

G-d created the world in six days and on Shabbos He rested. What a sad translation! On Shabbos G-d gave the world a soul. On Shabbos G-d created a world of souls, of depth, of tasting that which is most real.

Shabbos invites all those who need new energy, all those who have been broken by the world of the six days, who need the world of Shabbos to make their brokenness whole again.

Shabbos invites all those who have so far only felt the pain of life and are crying for the joy, the bliss, the unbelievable heavenliness of being alive in a world created by G-d.

Shabbos invites all those who are tired of walking slowly, who only cover a spiritual inch per lifetime on their journeys. Shabbos invites all those who have traveled through the valleys of sadness, of waiting and waiting all the time. Shabbos is to get to the top of the mountain in one second, and there discover even higher mountains that we may have never ever seen before.

Shabbos invites all those who know, who experienced so much sweetness, so much holiness in life, but it’s clear to them this cannot be all G-d wants to give them. Isn’t G-d infinite? Isn’t life infinite? Shabbos is the name of G-d.

Will you accept the invitation of Shabbos?

Here too :

http://torahsearch.com/page.cfm/1355

You may be wondering: what is going on here? I too wondered; here is what I came up with. The Zohar and the Sfas Emes view a name as connoting the essence of what it is naming. In that perspective, the Sfas Emes quotes another passage in the Zohar which tells us that "Shabbos" is a name of HaShem. Similarly, HaShem is also called "Shalom" (peace, harmony, completeness). So, when the Zohar tells us that Korach separated himself from "Shalom" and from "Shabbos", we realize how far Korach's rebellion went. The written Torah tells us only that Korach contested Moshe Rabbeinu's leadership. The Oral tradition -- including the Zohar -- lets us read between the lines. There we learn that Korach was also wrecking the unity and harmony of the cosmos.[
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 01:36:47 AM »
That's the problem.  I would have to drive

That means you can sleep in!
LOLz

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:32:37 AM »
That means you can sleep in!
LOLz

I don't know if my situation is unique, but I believe Chabad may also do this... The minyan I daven with is run by a Jewish college in the area and as a result they have rooms that people can stay in on Friday evening in order to avoid having to drive on Shabbat. They also do this on the Yom Tovim so we can have a proper observant minyan for services. I know two other Chabad Rabbis who have service in their homes and they often have rooms which people can stay for the Shabbat. I have many great stories of Shabbatons in Chabad Rabbis homes....