Author Topic: Xylitol Dangerous for Pets  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Xylitol Dangerous for Pets
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:39:15 AM »
http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-09-16/living/17120095_1_xylitol-family-dog-blood-sugar/2

I thought I should post this because a lot of people on JTF have pets and might not be aware of this. I didn't know it before either.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Xylitol Dangerous for Pets
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:29:01 AM »
Thank you, that's important information.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »
It's not so healthy in large amounts in people either.

I'm against artificial sweetners in general with a few exceptions.  Since sugar is less sweet than fake sugar, the body gets used to the intense sweetness and causes stronger cravings for other foods and lack of fullness in eating other food causing people to overeat more.

My recommendation for those who need to have sugar or sweetness in some of their foods and drinks is it to try and reduce little by little the sugar. Eventually, what you normally had as sweet will taste too sweet.

As far as chewing gum..I always recommend sugar-less gum, which some might have xylitol.  Gum with sugar will increase tooth decay.  So I'm all for artificial sweetners in gum.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »
It's dangerous for people too.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
Good info Dan. I've used artificial sweeteners for years, even before I tried to eat healthier and I honestly think it kept me from getting any heavier than I did. If all those sodas and flavored waters and light juices for example I drank had been full sugar rather than diet versions I would have had hundreds more calories every day. Of course you could say that it's best not to drink them at all and just drink water, but I hate the taste of water with minerals in it. I only like distilled water, which unfortunately pulls minerals out of people's bodies, so I have to have my water flavored somehow to cover up the nasty mineral taste, and I only drink distilled occasionally. About the only time I can usually stand clay-tasting or mineral-tasting water is in the summer time when I'm really hot and thirsty.

A lack of artificial sweeteners would also take away my ability to eat any dessert type items. Sugar free jello for example, 20 calories a box. You can't beat that. Fudgsicle no sugar added fudge bars I think are 40 or 45 calories. Without artificial sweeteners these wouldn't exist.

I agree that to some degree your tastes can change though. I used to eat regular yogurt and now I eat a brand called Kroger Carb Master. It's less sweet than regular yogurt and now I can't stand regular yogurt because it's overly sweet and not as thick as the low carb yogurt. I'm not on a low carb diet but I eat the kind of yogurt because it has fewer calories. It also has some artificial sweetener in it but it's less sweet than the regular sugar flavored version.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 04:43:21 PM »
Good info Dan. I've used artificial sweeteners for years, even before I tried to eat healthier and I honestly think it kept me from getting any heavier than I did. If all those sodas and flavored waters and light juices for example I drank had been full sugar rather than diet versions I would have had hundreds more calories every day. Of course you could say that it's best not to drink them at all and just drink water, but I hate the taste of water with minerals in it. I only like distilled water, which unfortunately pulls minerals out of people's bodies, so I have to have my water flavored somehow to cover up the nasty mineral taste, and I only drink distilled occasionally. About the only time I can usually stand clay-tasting or mineral-tasting water is in the summer time when I'm really hot and thirsty.

A lack of artificial sweeteners would also take away my ability to eat any dessert type items. Sugar free jello for example, 20 calories a box. You can't beat that. Fudgsicle no sugar added fudge bars I think are 40 or 45 calories. Without artificial sweeteners these wouldn't exist.

I agree that to some degree your tastes can change though. I used to eat regular yogurt and now I eat a brand called Kroger Carb Master. It's less sweet than regular yogurt and now I can't stand regular yogurt because it's overly sweet and not as thick as the low carb yogurt. I'm not on a low carb diet but I eat the kind of yogurt because it has fewer calories. It also has some artificial sweetener in it but it's less sweet than the regular sugar flavored version.

My recommendation would be to do your best with cutting out the artificial sweetners in your diet and using the organic natural sweetners, but less of it.  I'll tell you, instead of white sugar, use brown sugar.  If you need to drink soda, instead of diet soda, go 50/50 with regular soda with seltzer.

Dilute your fruit drinks with water if you can't stand regular water.

My father in law LOVES orange juice..he would drink a quart or a litre a day...I noticed that there is no more orange juice in the refrigerator..He is trying to lose wait and he is going about it the right way by cutting out juice completely.  One glass of juice is 100+ calories and if that's all you drink, nothing you can do will help lose weight.  The artificial sweetner drinks will screw up your body's metabolism also because it will become accustomed to the level of sweetness of the artificial sweetner and will only make you hungrier and eat more food.

With yougurt, mix half regular yougurt with non fat...or better yet go 2% down to 1% fat yougurt for example.  Try to avoid artificial sweetners unless you are diabetic.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 05:07:13 PM »
I was trying to prevent being diabetic. It runs in my family and I was significantly overweight and my tests came back normal for it so I'm thankful for the fact that I had the different food options available to me to avoid getting it too. I like the fact that I can eat sugar sometimes if I want to, as long as I don't develop diabetes. However most of the time I'd rather substitute it with something significantly less damaging. I really don't want all the complications from it. My grandmother on my mom's side died at 70 because of that disease, too young in my opinion.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
Stevia is a healthy natural sweetener without any side-effects and is widely used in Japan. Artificial sweeteners are pretty bad especially aspartame.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
Stevia is a healthy natural sweetener without any side-effects and is widely used in Japan. Artificial sweeteners are pretty bad especially aspartame.

I think it would be nice if Stevia were used in more products. I've heard of it before and seen it in the stores but haven't tried it yet because it's more expensive.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
Why do you think you were overweight?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
Why do you think you were overweight?

First of all it made me feel uncomfortable, being short of breath and overly tired, sore knees and back. Second I had  3 medical professionals tell me I was at a dangerous weight that was going to lead to heart disease or cancer if I didn't get it down. Third I have had family members die of preventable diseases and I don't really want to follow in their footsteps. Finally the BMI chart showed me at being at a dangerous level of extra weight, which while it's not always accurate for everyone, I think it was correct in my case.

Offline Maimonides

• Pro JTFer
  • The Greatest Jewish Sage
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »
It's not so healthy in large amounts in people either.

I'm against artificial sweetners in general with a few exceptions.  Since sugar is less sweet than fake sugar, the body gets used to the intense sweetness and causes stronger cravings for other foods and lack of fullness in eating other food causing people to overeat more.

My recommendation for those who need to have sugar or sweetness in some of their foods and drinks is it to try and reduce little by little the sugar. Eventually, what you normally had as sweet will taste too sweet.

As far as chewing gum..I always recommend sugar-less gum, which some might have xylitol.  Gum with sugar will increase tooth decay.  So I'm all for artificial sweetners in gum.

What's your opinion on Aspartame?
“You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes”- Maimonides

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »
Hmmm. You are awfully young to be getting short of breath regardless of weight. Did you look into the possibility of some sort of arterial pathology?

Offline Sam1980

• New JTFer
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 06:36:40 AM »
Agree with AxlRose on this, def check.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 07:55:28 AM »
Hmmm. You are awfully young to be getting short of breath regardless of weight. Did you look into the possibility of some sort of arterial pathology?

It was due to weight because it really doesn't happen anymore now. I was at a dangerous weight. I still have some more to lose but I feel a lot better. My cholesterol test came back normal at my highest weight even surprisingly enough. It's just hard to carry around an extra 80+ lbs.

I called the extra weight my evil twin that I needed to kill. Imagine another person riding on your shoulders all the time and you might get a little short of breath after carrying them up a flight of stairs too regardless of your overall health otherwise.

Offline GunsAndRosesFan

• Senior JTFer
  • "In God We Trust In Him We Must Believe" (Stryper)
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
Very important information. Thanks
Islam is a a cancer that threatens humanity with its complete intolerance, infinite jelousy and virulent odium.
Death to the cult of Satan! Death to Islam!