Author Topic: 1964 : Better Days at the World Fair  (Read 1197 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
1964 : Better Days at the World Fair
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:19:35 AM »
Let us all take the way-back machine to the year 1964. It is hard for me to believe it has been 48 years since those days. I am going to be 47 in a few weeks. My father worked on building the 1964 Worlds Fair in Flushing Meadows, a suburb of Queens New York. My brother was born (in 1968) when we lived in Flushing, NY and my family moved to Stamford, CT shortly after that.

I am one who is nostalgic for those decades, when the media was not as biased and there was more variety in the programming (on the TV and the movies). This was a time when America was making leaps and bounds in technology, putting a man on the moon, and the computer was beginning to become more important in the lives of more Americans.

This short documentary discusses some of these topics... I find the IBM pavilion interesting because it was attempting to teach the audience about boolean logic, the basic operations which allow computers to do the incredible things which they do. While today we have so much more technology it seems we take it for granted and are not moved to utilize the technologies as envisioned almost 50 years ago.

Watch this documentary and if you are over 30 see if this hits a nerve...

Part 2

The IBM pavilion appears near the end of Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_New_York_World%27s_Fair
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:29:34 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: 1964 : Better Days at the World Fair
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 02:36:37 AM »
Cool find.  I too love these old newreels and travel videos.  I sometimes just rummage through youtube looking for them.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:07:28 AM »
ahhhhhhh the days when we were only half corrupted with communism.
the slightly better days.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »
The fair was really something.... We only lived a few blocks away from it... It was really sad that it only lasted 2 years... I remember being on some of the rides and going into some of the exhibits... The videos brought back a great deal of nice memories.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »
Mike, you're really getting weird with those animated gif signature images.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »
Mike, you're really getting weird with those animated gif signature images.

Is that too far-out for you?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:43 AM »
Some of the other things I like about 1964...

The 1964 Ford Mustang :

1964 Grateful Dead

1964 VW Bus...

My 1967 VW Bus:

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
Is that too far-out for you?

not sure what you mean.
but it looks gross.
i know thats very un-eloquent of me.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »

not sure what you mean.
but it looks gross.
i know thats very un-eloquent of me.

Well, if it means anything to you I consider your image (the munchkin standing before the confederate flag) to be gross too...

Is my Bar Mitzvah photo gross too?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:50:07 PM by muman613 »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 01:11:32 AM »
Well, if it means anything to you I consider your image (the munchkin standing before the confederate flag) to be gross too...

I was actually thinking of using ACK's icon for a line of clothing.

BTW, The gratefull dead really were less about music and more about acid tripping.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:12:29 AM »
I was actually thinking of using ACK's icon for a line of clothing.

BTW, The gratefull dead really were less about music and more about acid tripping.

Oh BS... The Dead were incredible musicians. It is sad that you insult them so. I still have hours of Dead on my hard drive... I also saw the band live over 34 times in 10 years... But you just write it off as an 'acid trip'...

My 'past life' was not terrible but I was woken up by 9/11 and some other life-shattering events... I have not seen a rock show in about 10 years... But I have good memories...

Maybe you will find Shady Grove appealing :

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:17:39 AM by muman613 »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 01:26:25 AM »
Oh BS... The Dead were incredible musicians. It is sad that you insult them so. I still have hours of Dead on my hard drive... I also saw the band live over 34 times in 10 years... But you just write it off as an 'acid trip'...

I definitely disagree with you there, as much as a person can possibly disagree.  I was forced to listen to their monotonous music when I was growing up due to my own brother being a dead head.  He would make me listen to Jerry Garcia's 10 minute guitar solo and it was pure torture... but then again... I was never 'into' that whole scene... and all his deadhead friends were wackos.

While I will admit that the lyrics were witty at times, the music was dull.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 01:29:50 AM »
I definitely disagree with you there, as much as a person can possibly disagree.  I was forced to listen to their monotonous music when I was growing up due to my own brother being a dead head.  He would make me listen to Jerry Garcia's 10 minute guitar solo and it was pure torture... but then again... I was never 'into' that whole scene... and all his deadhead friends were wackos.

While I will admit that the lyrics were witty at times, the music was dull.

Sounds like burn out to me... I can't listen to Led Zepplin any longer, no way, no how... Im 100% burned out on Zep no matter how great Zep was..

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 01:31:17 AM »
Sounds like burn out to me... I can't listen to Led Zepplin any longer, no way, no how... Im 100% burned out on Zep no matter how great Zep was..

lol, I guess you and I woulda been enemies.   I was a big zepplin guy... but then again... much of the stuff after the fourth album was kinda boring.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 01:33:25 AM »
lol, I guess you and I woulda been enemies.   I was a big zepplin guy... but then again... much of the stuff after the fourth album was kinda boring.

California Classic Rock overplayed Zepplin. Every day at the same time the same 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Kashmir' and even today if I turn on the Classic Rock I can virtually bet that Zepp is playing. I don't listen to the car radio any longer due to overplaying zepp...

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 01:59:02 AM »
California Classic Rock overplayed Zepplin. Every day at the same time the same 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Kashmir' and even today if I turn on the Classic Rock I can virtually bet that Zepp is playing. I don't listen to the car radio any longer due to overplaying zepp...

Yes, probably true.  I am mostly into music from the 30s and 40s now.  Gershwin, Berlin, etc.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »

**THATS** YOU???
Ohhhh my altar boy!!
If that's really you, you have the same head tilt.
Now **if** I was a nice guy, I would have said something on the level of...."thats a cute picture". But because I'm scum, I wont.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 09:48:26 PM »

**THATS** YOU???
Ohhhh my altar boy!!
If that's really you, you have the same head tilt.
Now **if** I was a nice guy, I would have said something on the level of...."thats a cute picture". But because I'm scum, I wont.

That was me in 1978... When I was 13 years old...

I don't expect much from scum like you so don't feel bad...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 10:07:51 PM »
That was me in 1978... When I was 13 years old...

I don't expect much from scum like you so don't feel bad...

I already saw the full size pic. ... right click and view pic on firefox and seamonkey.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 11:35:10 PM »
I already saw the full size pic. ... right click and view pic on firefox and seamonkey.

I should have figured you were technically proficient enough to see the full size image... But just in case...