Author Topic: Reform Judaism  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Reform Judaism
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:18:14 PM »
  Would you go to a Reform Synagogue, if that was your only option? Or would you just pray at home, and study online?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Reform Judaism
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
It depends on the people and the Rabbi... I have explained my experience with a reform synagogue. I do not recommend it but my experience is not as bad as others have described. The reform synagogue does hold services which mimik the Siddur/Order of the Orthodox services. They say the same blessings like Shema, Kaddish, and Shemonie Esrie {but they add the names of the matriarchs which are not a part of the original prayers}. The synagogue I attended also held Torah readings on Shabbat but they do not keep the Orthodox laws concerning who is counted in a minyan {Only men older than 13 years old} and they even allow non-Jews to be called up for aliyahs.

In my experience the main difference has to do with keeping the commandments. The Reform will read about the commandments and look for ethical ideas without actually trying to keep them. They do not keep Kashrut, they drive on Shabbat, and they count anyone who thinks they are Jewish in the minyan {even if they are not}.

I have not heard the far out claims that they support Homosexual marriage {not the reform synagogue I know}... The synagogue I am talking about is not actually Reform as it does not belong the the reform movement, it is actually called an unaffiliated/progressive synagogue...

I agree that if you are looking for genuine Jewish religion do not go to the Reform. But if you realize what it is beforehand you may be able to separate out the good from the bad {difficult if you don't know where to start}.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:41:59 PM »
I'd say stay home and do prayers on your own and study online.  Otherwise you're going to have to unlearn everything they taught you at the Deform shul.  There are Orthodox Jews in this same situation and it is permitted to do your prayers at home.  I have visited a Deform shul before but that was just to observe what goes on there, not as part of a religious practice.  These are people that make as big a deal out of MLK day as they do Passover and have a tradition of ordering Chinese food on Christmas.  Deform Judaism is not Judaism, it's atheism in drag.
Thank you Dan
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »
It depends on the people and the Rabbi... I have explained my experience with a reform synagogue. I do not recommend it but my experience is not as bad as others have described. The reform synagogue does hold services which mimik the Siddur/Order of the Orthodox services. They say the same blessings like Shema, Kaddish, and Shemonie Esrie {but they add the names of the matriarchs which are not a part of the original prayers}. The synagogue I attended also held Torah readings on Shabbat but they do not keep the Orthodox laws concerning who is counted in a minyan {Only men older than 13 years old} and they even allow non-Jews to be called up for aliyahs.

In my experience the main difference has to do with keeping the commandments. The Reform will read about the commandments and look for ethical ideas without actually trying to keep them. They do not keep Kashrut, they drive on Shabbat, and they count anyone who thinks they are Jewish in the minyan {even if they are not}.

I have not heard the far out claims that they support Homosexual marriage {not the reform synagogue I know}... The synagogue I am talking about is not actually Reform as it does not belong the the reform movement, it is actually called an unaffiliated/progressive synagogue...

I agree that if you are looking for genuine Jewish religion do not go to the Reform. But if you realize what it is beforehand you may be able to separate out the good from the bad {difficult if you don't know where to start}.

Thanks Muman! I'm trying Hard, but there is so much to learn!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »
That sounds more like a Conservative synagogue.  In a Reform synagogue they cut HUGE parts out of the siddur, it takes less than a half hour to get through the prayer service.  

I am not saying that no one should ever visit one, but if you don't know much about Judaism you can get a lot of false knowledge/impressions that you will have to unlearn if you want to authentically pursue Judaism.

I agree with you.... The progressive synagogue which i know does not subscribe to the reform movement thus I may be wrong about what reform does...

I do go to this synagogue at times when I need to use their sukkot {during the years I have not had time to build one} and I sometimes go on Chanukah to attend the candle lighting....

I would recommend sticking with Chabad though.... Except for me the local synagogue is only five minutes from my house and Chabad is a bit farther...

Chabad is a more fulfilling experience any way...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:13:33 AM »
Let me add the following:

Reform is not authentic because it rejects the divine nature of the Torah and the Jewish people. As a result all that is left is the ethical and moral ideas and a place for Jews to socialize {eat bagels, etc.}... In general I don't suggest that any Jew go to a synagogue which is Reform unless there is no other alternative. I am one who believes it is important to be a part of a Jewish community regardless of what level that community is on. A wise man will attempt to live in a community with a strong and vibrant Orthodox Jewish community. Unfortunately where I live there are not many strong Orthodox Jewish communities.

I must thank Hashem that he has provided the Jewish community which I have...

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:10:57 AM »
The vast majority of people who attend Reform Jewish synagogues do so, because they want a watered down cultural connection to Judaism or to Jews without having to commit themselves to any demands or changes in their lives or their community. Or if they do call for change it is not to fulfill any religious idea, but rather it is to fit in with some new fad, or political idea in the secular or non-Jewish world, and to give it an after-the-fact Jewish stamp of approval.
Regardless of your ideology or zeal, the mere association with this group over the course of time is likely to dampen one's desire for Torah and G-d.
One, because many believe in evil ideologies to justify their non-observance of commandments. And secondly, because almost all of them put desires ahead of morals which will influence someone who joins their company to do the same.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:51:25 AM »
Thank you edu.