Author Topic: Today-2nd of Shvat-They Celebrated the Death of the Wicked Jewish King  (Read 1630 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
In Megillat Taanit, The Rabbis made the 2nd of Shvat a minor holiday, where eulogies should not be recited on this day. Why?
Because the wicked Jewish Killer, King Yannai, died on this day and it is joyful before the Holy One Blessed Be He, when the wicked depart from the world.
Here's a quote in the original Hebrew that I copied from the internet, together with some added details, that I left out.
בשנים בשבט יום טוב, דלא למספד. ולמה שינו זה מזה. אלא שבראשון מת הורדוס ובזה מת ינאי המלך ששמחה היא לפני הקדוש ברוך הוא כשהרשעים מסתלקים מן העולם. אמרו כשחלה ינאי המלך שלח ותפש שבעים זקנים מזקני ישראל [נטלן] וחבשן בבית האסורין ואמר לו לשר בית האסורין את מֵתי, הרוג את הזקנים הללו, ועד שישראל שמחים לי, ידוו על רבותם. אמרו, אשה טובה היתה לו לינאי המלך ושלמינין [ושלמינון] שמה, וכשמת סלקה טבעתו מעל ידו ושלחה לבית שר האסורין, אמרה לו, רבך בחלום התיר אותם הזקנים. התירן והלכו להם לבתיהם ואח"כ אמרה מת ינאי המלך. ואותו היום שמת ינאי המלך עשאוהו יום טוב:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Today-2nd of Shvat-They Celebrated the Death of the Wicked Jewish King
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »
Interesting...

This year this occurs on my Secular birthday... January 26...

My Hebrew birthday is 23 Shvat..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14