Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Dan Ben Noah

• Full JTFer
Shalom
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »
Shalom
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:33:02 AM by Dan Ben Noah »
Jeremiah 16:19 O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!

Zechariah 8:23 So said the Lord of Hosts: In those days, when ten men of all the languages of the nations shall take hold of the skirt of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Some Orthodox Jewish activists are wanting to ordain women as rabbis
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
It's not up to me to decide but I am in favor of ordaining women as rabbis.

I know that in eastern Europe, especially in Austohungarian empire, in many families, the women were the ones who held the tradition and kept Judaism alive. Not that they were rabbis, but they made sure the shabbat and holidays are observed and the children sent to heder. The men tended to be more secular.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:29:57 PM »
Their are already problems with many men as Rabbis we don't need more problems to come.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »
My response is No... I will explain it later...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »
Women can certainly teach, and there were some outstanding women in eastern europe who did indeed teach jewish children, but halacha does not permit them to be a rabbi.    So there has to be a way to allow their roles in society to evolve naturally without making them into a female version of a man.   The "activists" are extreme liberals who want to satisfy the feminist urges of some women and feel its their 'duty' to do so because of how devoted they are to liberal causes and because they are extremely PC.  IMO
An example of the activist phenomenon - Rabbi Avi Weiss. 

It is almost as if some of these rabbis have an inferiority complex or they think that we need to do anything any individual women demand because we are at fault and have harmed women and owe it to them to give them anything any of them want as a compensation - all of which is not true.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »
From Rav Bar Hayim (from another response, I just bumped into this)

8. I similarly question whether those who feel that the question of granting 's'mikha' to women is the most burning issue that the Jewish people must grapple with today have their heads screwed on straight. (I am not here expressing an opinion on the matter. I am drawing attention to what I consider to be misplaced priorities.) Both are examples of adopting an agenda from without the framework of Tora, from external society, and placing it on a pedestal. I cannot help but feel that something about these positions is not quite right.

http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/list-ask-the-rav/31-general/526-vegetarianism
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »
When I think of a rabbi, I think of an old man with gray beard.