Author Topic: Distromatch  (Read 2045 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Distromatch
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
I am surprised I haven't read a word mentioned yet of BSD. angreeChineseKhanist is certainly geek enough and asian enough to use it.

I would have tried it myself except it doesn't work well with vbox and harder to install on a multiboot machine.

I have never tried BSD and don't really expect to need to use it...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 10:17:21 PM »
ACK,

I wish you would have mentioned that in order to make headless work you must install the VBOX extension pack {which I had not installed until just now}... I have been messing with trying to get headless working on my set-up here and then I discovered that headless only works if the extension pack is installed...

Allah akbar.
In order to get allah akbar to work and in order to get proper use of usb, in order for you to efficiently RDP to your VM, in order to integrate your mouse and keyboard to the vm....you need the extension pack.
There.

What VM software you use??
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »
I have never tried BSD and don't really expect to need to use it...

I have a bunch of virtualised routers that are BSD OSes.
For home, I use monowall. Once you install the BSD based firewall, you can configure the LAN then run it headless. Now you can configure the rest on another computer on you LAN.
For work, I would not recommend it.

The Linux closest to BSD is Slackware.
Most of the /etc file structure is the same. In fact X works the same way.
Isn't MacOS based on BSD?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »
I am surprised I haven't read a word mentioned yet of BSD. angreeChineseKhanist is certainly geek enough and asian enough to use it.

I would have tried it myself except it doesn't work well with vbox and harder to install on a multiboot machine.

What problems are you having?
BTW did I mention that virtualbox runs best on...windoze?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
I have a bunch of virtualised routers that are BSD OSes.
For home, I use monowall. Once you install the BSD based firewall, you can configure the LAN then run it headless. Now you can configure the rest on another computer on you LAN.
For work, I would not recommend it.

The Linux closest to BSD is Slackware.
Most of the /etc file structure is the same. In fact X works the same way.
Isn't MacOS based on BSD?

Yes I have heard that MacOS is based on BSD...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »
Allah akbar.
In order to get allah akbar to work and in order to get proper use of usb, in order for you to efficiently RDP to your VM, in order to integrate your mouse and keyboard to the vm....you need the extension pack.
There.

What VM software you use??

I said I prefer VirtualBox... I started with VMware years ago and eventually became dissatisfied with it and found VBox... So far I have absolutely zero complaints with VBox.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »

Why do you say that VBox runs best on Windows. I primarily run it on my Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 10.04 systems {at work and at home} and I support many OSes including {Debian 5, Debian 6, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 8.04 guest, Ubuntu 10.04 guest}. I use the VMs to create disk images I use to install Linux using cloning tools.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28:47 AM »
Why do you say that VBox runs best on Windows. I primarily run it on my Ubuntu 8.04 and Ubuntu 10.04 systems {at work and at home} and I support many OSes including {Debian 5, Debian 6, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 8.04 guest, Ubuntu 10.04 guest}. I use the VMs to create disk images I use to install Linux using cloning tools.

I haven't had any problems running vbox on win7 64bit even though i hate windoze.
vbox guys have to only worry about two things developing for windows: 32bit or 64bit.
With linux.......first, which kernel?
Then, are there any conflicts with the many different libraries.
They have just a few pre-built binaries for different linuxes.
For the rest of the distros, you'll have to roll the dice with the generic one. Or you can roll your own from source.

I've had problems where there was no way to install linux with kernel 2.6.x on virtualbox 4 on i3/i5/i7 machines. The CD would simply kernel panic after boot. If I install it on a different machine and transport it to the i3/i5/i7 machine, it will kernel panic. I finally got it to boot by downloading kernel 3+ and compile it a million times with different configs.
Will you tell a beginner to download the vbox source and compile it then roll your own kernel many times and hope that it will work?

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 01:48:23 AM »
BSD guest on vbox doesn't have guest additions, so sound doesn't work, high resoloution doesn't work either.

Solaris obviously does support guest edition but I don't like to have to register just to download it and it's not bsd anyway.

Actually I did use bsd once, as freenas file server. But I tried to install it once in a partition and I think I ended up
destroying the partitioning altogether. It sucks that BSD is greedy and demands primary partition, even winbloat gave up on this demand.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:38 AM »
BSD guest on vbox doesn't have guest additions, so sound doesn't work, high resoloution doesn't work either.

Solaris obviously does support guest edition but I don't like to have to register just to download it and it's not bsd anyway.

Actually I did use bsd once, as freenas file server. But I tried to install it once in a partition and I think I ended up
destroying the partitioning altogether. It sucks that BSD is greedy and demands primary partition, even winbloat gave up on this demand.

I just looked and I am sorry they don't make a BSD version.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 06:16:18 AM »
So far, even though it's less then a week, openSUSE seems to be much more stable and friendly to my hardware. Several pesky bugs that plagued my Ubuntu seem to be gone:

1. wireless keyboard and mouse function properly.
2. no system freezes so far due to multi-tasking while writing large data on the hard drive.
3. system start up reasonably fast and especially shuts down way faster then Ubuntu.
4. screen turn off when set idle time lapses as it should be, Ubuntu too often failed to turn off the screen.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:19 AM »
So far, even though it's less then a week, openSUSE seems to be much more stable and friendly to my hardware. Several pesky bugs that plagued my Ubuntu seem to be gone:

1. wireless keyboard and mouse function properly.
2. no system freezes so far due to multi-tasking while writing large data on the hard drive.
3. system start up reasonably fast and especially shuts down way faster then Ubuntu.
4. screen turn off when set idle time lapses as it should be, Ubuntu too often failed to turn off the screen.

That's wonderful.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774