Author Topic: The Nazir of Jerusalem  (Read 1983 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
The Nazir of Jerusalem
« on: June 01, 2012, 02:13:56 AM »
Before I bring the following quote, most rabbis discourage their followers from becoming a Nazir.
Someone who is really considering the possibility should discuss the pluses and minuses instead of making a quick, emotional and uninformed decision.
The following quote is from http://www.ravkooktorah.org/NASO63.htm
Naso: The Nazir of Jerusalem 

One of Rav Kook's most prominent disciples was Rabbi David Cohen. He was known as the Rav Ha-Nazir of Jerusalem, since soon after arriving in the Holy Land, he took a Nazarite vow never to drink wine, eat grapes, nor cut his hair. The Nazir edited and organized many of Rav Kook's writings into the four-volume magnum opus, Orot HaKodesh.

Who was this Nazir? How did he meet Rav Kook?

David Cohen was yeshiva student from the Vilna area, blessed with exceptional intellectual talents. After preparing himself for matriculation exams, he was accepted to the University of Basel in Switzerland, where he studied philosophy and classical literature for seven years.

However, the 26-year-old student was not at peace with himself. He prayed early every morning, and kept other mitzvot, but he felt his heart was not in it. He suffered from an inner discontent.

Meeting Rav Kook

Word arrived that Rav Kook was staying in St. Gallen, Switzerland. Rav Kook was stranded in Europe during the first World War, when he temporarily left Eretz Yisrael for a rabbinical conference. The hopeful young scholar sent off a letter to the Rav: Would it be possible to discuss various matters of faith? Cohen was overjoyed when he received a positive reply. Lacking money to pay for the journey, he handed over his gold watch to a local pawnshop to raise the necessary funds.

Cohen immersed himself in the Rhine River and set off for St. Gallen. It was the day before the month of Elul.

Rav Kook received the university student warmly. They spoke the entire day, mainly about Greek philosophy and literature. Rav Kook was amazed at the expertise his young visitor demonstrated in these topics in their original sources. Cohen, however, was rather disappointed. Had he come all this way, even pawning his watch, just to discuss Greek philosophy?

Rav Kook suggested that the young man stay overnight. Reluctantly, Cohen agreed. The entire night, he tossed and turned, unable to sleep. What would be tomorrow? Would Rav Kook resolve his questions? Would he succeed in dispelling his doubts? He felt his life's destiny was hanging in the balance. Which way would it go?

As the first rays of morning light broke through the window, the young man heard footsteps from the adjoining room. That must be the Rav, he thought. He must be praying. What is he saying?

He heard Rav Kook chant the Akeidah, the account of 'the Binding of Isaac,' a story of ultimate love and holy dedication. The melody captivated his heart. Then the Rav recited the concluding supplication, "Master of the World." The sweetness and exhilarating fervor of the prayer shook the very foundations of his soul. This inspiring tefilah, said in holiness and purity, transformed him.

The Nazir described this momentous event in the introduction to Orot HaKodesh:

"In the early morning I heard the sound of steps. The morning blessings, then the prayer of the Akeidah, in a sublime song and melody. "From the eternal high heavens, remember the love of our ancestors." I listened, and I became a new person. I quickly wrote, announcing that I had found more than I had hoped for. I had found for myself a Rav."   

(Adapted from "Malachim Kivnei Adam", pp. 74-76)

Copyright © 2006 by Chanan Morrison

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: The Nazir of Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:38:17 AM »
Interesting.

It is clear that the Torah does not encourage people to become Nazirs. As several of the Rabbis in the Naso thread I posted have related that the Torah itself requires a sin offering from the Nazir at the end of their vows. This is because Hashem doesn't require us to be ascetic, giving up the pleasurable things in life.

Wine is used to sanctify Hashems name, as we always do Kiddush at every Shabbat, Yom Tov, and other joyous occasions.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: The Nazir of Jerusalem
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
Their are various Halachot having to do with the Nazirite vow. First off one has to live in Israel. Secondly when finishing the vow one has to bring a korban which today at this moment is not possible (either political or other etc.) Soo before one goes making such vows he or she needs to know the consequences and these are not simple things besides the various other Halachot having to do with this.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.