Author Topic: Stunning statistics: 40% of NYC Jews are Orthodox, 74% of children are Orthodox  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
בס''ד

Non-Orthodox Jews have few children and are intermarrying at an enormous rate, so their population is quickly shrinking.

Orthodox Jews have many children and so their population is booming.

The result: 40% of New York City Jews now describe themselves as Orthodox. The city's Jewish population is increasing and now stands at 1.1 million. Counting Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester counties (the city's suburbs), the Jewish population is over 1.5 million. The future? 74% of the city's Jewish children are Orthodox!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/nyregion/new-yorks-jewish-population-is-growing-again.html

Offline karolzsx

• Junior JTFer
 :dance:
finally some good news

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
They say they counted even people who say they are "part Jews" and they must have also counted reform Jews who are actually gentiles but think they are Jews. This is also why they estimate there are over 6 million Jews in America.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Shouldn't it be better that there are fewer Jews living in the Galut?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
Excellent news.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Shouldn't it be better that there are fewer Jews living in the Galut?

I was wondering what Chaim would say about that aspect of it too.

I think that it's good that there are more Jews being born and the population is growing today because there are a lot fewer Jews in the world today than there should be due to what happened to them early last century and they should have lots of children to make up for it.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I was wondering what Chaim would say about that aspect of it too.

I think that it's good that there are more Jews being born and the population is growing today because there are a lot fewer Jews in the world today than there should be due to what happened to them early last century and they should have lots of children to make up for it.

Well the good news is that the religious Jews are outnumbering the secular self hating Jews.  And it's also good news that more Jews are being born.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
As I always say, even though the secular Jews are the most obsessed with sex, it's the religious Jews who have them beat in actual breeding.  This is why Judaism will survive and secular Jews having kids is pointless.  (Oh, and I am including Conservative and Deform Jews among secular Jews.)  Here is the Arutz Sheva article on the topic:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/156808

I think it is wrong to think like this. While there are problems with 'Reform' & 'Conservative' Judaism there are still Jews who are brought up in that environment, and they are still considered Jewish {if from a Jewish mother}. We cannot 'write them off' as gone. There are many from these families who eventually come to the conclusion that the only true religion is the Jewish religion as practiced by the Torah observant Orthodox...

Let us try to bring as many of these back into the fold of Jewish observance and Jewish pride...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I was still considering them Jewish, I was just calling them secular Jews, because secularism is really what they stand for.  Posts like mine will help the situation because if a Conservative or Deform Jew sees it then they will say to themselves "Gee, I better become Orthodox pronto."

That would be very good...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
I don't know if "reform" Jews are fake Jews or fake Christians. It's hard to tell sometimes. I can't blame the pollsters if they were confused as well.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I was still considering them Jewish, I was just calling them secular Jews, because secularism is really what they stand for.  Posts like mine will help the situation because if a Conservative or Deform Jew sees it then they will say to themselves "Gee, I better become Orthodox pronto."

What about non practicing orthodox Jews?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Pirki Avot Chapter 1

12. Hillel and Shammai received the Torah from them. Hillel said: Be of the disciples of Aaron, loving peace and pursuing peace, loving your fellow creatures and bringing them close to the Torah.
http://www.shechem.org/torah/avot.html

- One can not and should not blame and hate non-Orthodox Jews. For the most part they were not brought up with the proper understanding. One should encourage them to be more connected to the Torah and Mitzwoth and show to them that it is the truth and that it is the Will of G-D and benificial to them as well.

.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member

I think you are listening (and accepting) too much of what Meza says. How nice of him to state soo in his rant agains't the creation of Israel where he says that the galut is good since secular Jews assimilate and aren't part of the Jewish people (sic).
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
So basically, the self hating Jews and erev rav are intermarying themselves out of Judaism to the point that their future self hating generations will no longer be Jews... while religious Jews are building big strong religious families at a steady growing rate? :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
They should become Orthodox as well.  I'm pretty sure being Orthodox means you actually practice Orthodox Judaism, not that you only believe in it or are lapsed from it and have no plans to return.

I'm a conservative Jew who has become a non practicing orthodox Jew.  That means that I follow or believe in real Judaism but not at a point of practicing every tenant of orthodoxy.

A non orthodox Jew whether observant or not follows or believes in the fake or secular Judaism of his so called rabbi

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
In reality their is no such thing as "conservative" "reform" "liberal" or even "orthodox", their is the Halacha and its either one follow it or not. All of these terms are new inventions that started in Germany. If you look at Sefardi communities no one went by these terms. Either one kept the Mitzwoth (or how much of them) or not. But when one came to shul it was the same shul for all, those who were meticulous in Mitzwoth and those who were not, and  perhaps come a few times a year to shul, but it was/is one for all.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:06:33 PM by Tag-MehirTzedek »

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
It is amazing how many races are intermarrying...I cannot imagine White caucasions marrying muslims.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
It is amazing how many races are intermarrying...I cannot imagine White caucasions marrying muslims.

Nor can I. I can't imagine any non-Muslim wanting to marry a Muslim.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision