Author Topic: Whateva! I do what I want!  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Whateva! I do what I want!
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
21 of the Third Month 5772

Those of you who identify as "Reform," "Conservative," "Reconstructionist," and "Jewish Renewal" know that I have often been critical of your approaches as to what it means to "live Jewishly."Yet, many of the times in which I criticize you, I still recognize the consistency in your reasoning, even though I strongly disagree with it.This blog post is NOT meant to be a criticism of you (this time). Rather, it is a criticism of a segment (just a segment) of the so-called "Modern Orthodox" world. 

But, this post is also NOT a criticism of the observances of those who are new to Torah-based lifestyle.  Taking on the observance of misswoth gradually can often be positive.  I also find it a bit problematic to expect others to take upon themselves overnight, behaviors which are newly learned and not fully understood.  I believe that these individuals are entitled, more than most, to our patience and tolerance, and to some unusual behaviors, who may need to take on misswoth gradually.

This post is supposed to be a criticism of those Jews who call themselves "Orthodox," yet do what they want, and have no qualms about the complete lack of justification of their actions according to halakhah (Jewish Law).  In other words, they just do whatever they want.

In the episode entitled "Freak Strike," from Season 6 of one of the greatest commentaries on American society, "South Park," the creators go after the cheap TV talk show circuit, criticizing those who debase themselves in order to achieve their "15 Minutes" of fame, which Andy Warhol said that everyone should have. Of course, most of the guests on these talk shows never even heard of this saying, let alone Andy Warhol.

While the character of Butters is duped into posing as a boy with a gross disfigurement, Eric Cartman appears with his mother as a child "out of control," which he really is.

It is not clear whether he is posing as a boy in drag, or a girl. I suppose I missed something there. But, I digress...

Cartman's response to criticism and attacks from members of the audience and from the hosts themselves, is always the same: "Whateva'! I do what I want!"

Little does Eric Cartman know, but his flippant response is exactly many in the so-called Modern Orthodox community truly justify their deviations from halakhah (Jewish Law)

Here are some examples:

1. No. I don't have to cover my hair!  

"My grandfather was a rabbi. Don't tell ME the halakhah! Plenty of raaaabbis say that a woman doesn't have to cover her hair if she doesn't want to! It's no longer relevant in our modern, Western society!"

Translation:

Whateva'! I Do What I Want!

2. Ever hear of a
"Tefillin Date?"

"Well, I'm just being responsible bringing my tefillin.  Some say it's even the halakhah to keep them with you.  I mean, I'm not INTENDING to sleep with my girlfriend tonight.  I don't even INTEND to enter her apartment, nor do I INTEND to touch her.  But, it's always important to bring my tefillin with me, just in case I end up sleeping in a place where I hadn't INTENDED to sleep, right?"

Translation:

3. We are collecting food for the needy amongst the Arabs in Israel,...even though they want to annihilate us. If we give them food, and show them enough love, then they will stop wanting to kill us.  And, besides, such acts of kindness will certain defeat anti-Semitism.  We just have to do enough of them, and then everyone will like us! 

(Even though there absolutely NO support for this in halakha (Jewish Law), and even though we have already tried that strategy countless times, yet it has always failed. The Arabs always lie, and say they'll stop, and they don't.  Regarding the goyim from the West...  Esau hates Ya'aqov. -RaShB"I.  Oh, and by the way, anyone ever hear of the negative commandment "לא תחונם"?  See Ramba"m, Hil. A"Z Ch. 10)
Translation:

(...and I am in complete denial about how Western values do not equal Torah values.)

4. My husband and I found a rabbi to give us a heter for me to use birth control. 
You see, we feel it's important in our marriage for us to get to know each better, and children early in the marriage would get in the way of that.

(You should know, even if you don't care, Rav Soloveitchik said mefurash that there is NO such heter for birth control.  Wanna "get to know each other better?"  Have a long engagement.)
Translation:

5. Gay Man:
"When I lie with a man, I lie with him as a man, not as a woman, and so when I have anal sex with my boyfriend, I'm not really violating a Torah prohibition at all!"

(Um,...hello?!  Ever heard of RaSh"I?  What about HaZa"L?)

Translation:

6. "I feel SO connected with my wife, I believe in total equality, and we have fully democratic household.  My wife is very learned in halakhah, so I let her paskin shailos in our egalitarian household.  We take turns saying kiddush and making motzi, believing that in this day and age, a woman can certainly Wee are proud members of our local, Modern Orthodox community, where there there is mehitzah, but where women also lead pesukei d'zimra, give divrei Torah, and get aliyos.  We send our children to a pluralistic school where they can learn to make their own decisions based on how they feel, in an egalitarian environment."

Translation:

(...and I also seem to have misplaced my testicles.)

OK, so I guess I did end up taking a jab or two at those of you in the so-called "movements."

But,...

http://esseragaroth.blogspot.com/2012/06/whateva-i-do-what-i-want.html
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Whateva! I do what I want!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »
I certainly agree that a lot of stuff which goes on in Modern Orthodox doesn't quite meet the requirements of Halacha... If they brainwash themselves into believing there is a leniency which doesn't exist, or has not been agreed by the majority {even if there are some Rabbis who allow such a leniency}, then they are outside the bounds of Orthodox Jewish belief.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »
I am just not sure which segment is he aiming at. I know there are Jews like Avrum Burg in Israel who just pretend to be orthodox but they are actually heretic. Mr Burg for example wears kippah but he said for him tishaa be'av is a celebration and he doesn't fast because since Israel was reestablished we live in the era of the third temple.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
I am just not sure which segment is he aiming at.

Some of the "modern-Orthodox" he explains it exactly in the essay. Those individuals who for example do ............. (Its listed in the essay).
 I myself say and heard firs thand some of these people and I have to say I was appauled. How is a "Modern-Orthodox" "Rabbi" sympathetic to gay "marriage"? Or some of these people to the leftist regime and their system.
 For example look at this fool

Or those who view soo called "deMOCKracy" as and above Torah Judaism.
 Also praising the state yett bashing other religious Jews.

4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
Some of the "modern-Orthodox" he explains it exactly in the essay. Those individuals who for example do ............. (Its listed in the essay).
 I myself say and heard firs thand some of these people and I have to say I was appauled. How is a "Modern-Orthodox" "Rabbi" sympathetic to gay "marriage"? Or some of these people to the leftist regime and their system.

"Whateva I do what I want" sounds like a secular Jew's attitude. It is actually better then trying to reform Judaism so it would supposedly be more "inclusive" as this rabbi says in the video.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »
Lol  :::D :::D :::D
Yby does it again.

Of course I shouldn't laugh because this stuff is tragic.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 09:34:03 PM »
Gay Man: "When I lie with a man, I lie with him as a man, not as a woman, and so when I have anal sex with my boyfriend, I'm not really violating a Torah prohibition at all!"

Do people really use this excuse? If a Christian told me this was his excuse I'd start laughing but I also think it's sad that anyone would be so self-serving as to make themselves believe this excuse if they used it.

I've also heard gay people claim that because they do other types of sex but not anal penetration that they're not in violation of the Scriptures. To me that's also dancing around the issue and being self-serving and not in a true spirit of obedience.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
Do people really use this excuse? If a Christian told me this was his excuse I'd start laughing but I also think it's sad that anyone would be so self-serving as to make themselves believe this excuse if they used it.

They are attempting to 'parse' the Torah which clearly says that it is prohibited for a man to lie with another man as if he were a woman... But the intention of the Pasuk is to forbid homosexual sex where one is 'penetrated' by another..
http://www.chabad.org/dailystudy/seferhamitzvos.asp?tDate=5/31/2012

Negative Commandment 350 (Digest)
Male Homosexuality

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; this is an abomination"—Leviticus 18:22.

It is forbidden for a man to engage in homosexual relations.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »
I've also heard gay people claim that because they do other types of sex but not anal penetration that they're not in violation of the Scriptures. To me that's also dancing around the issue and being self-serving and not in a true spirit of obedience.

:::D The Arabs also say and believe that if they are the one's doing the _____ unto another man and not recieving then it doesn't make them faggits  ???

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 09:54:37 PM »
Lol  :::D :::D :::D
Yby does it again.

Of course I shouldn't laugh because this stuff is tragic.

Check the link with the pics even funnier. (Just found out how I can copy this)

Next to gay men excuse.
 http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9YY90g_8-0Q/Ty_yBde0sUI/AAAAAAAABnY/29j5-jcd_E4/s1600/cartmandrag.JPG

By the way that show really is hilarious, too bad the Mohamadeans virtually ended it.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 05:51:42 AM »
Nice post
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »
They are attempting to 'parse' the Torah which clearly says that it is prohibited for a man to lie with another man as if he were a woman... But the intention of the Pasuk is to forbid homosexual sex where one is 'penetrated' by another..
http://www.chabad.org/dailystudy/seferhamitzvos.asp?tDate=5/31/2012

I would think that any type of sexual contact between a man and a man would be considered sinful too even if it didn't involve penetration (I won't get into details of what the other methods are as I don't think the other mods or the admins would appreciate it, but you can use your imagination). but I don't know if it's expressly forbidden in Jewish law or not to do these other methods. I don't think that anybody who justifies those other things is being honest with themselves or with G-d though.

:::D The Arabs also say and believe that if they are the one's doing the _____ unto another man and not recieving then it doesn't make them faggits  ???

I've heard of that too. I think this is how they justify raping little boys, who then grow up to rape other boys. It's a really sad cycle of abuse that stems from a sick society. The difference is I think in Islam that they are actually following their rules because doesn't the faithful Muslim man get "pearls" in Jennah?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »

Thats Marc Angle an ultra liberal Sephardi rich Rabbi
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »
Just in case nobody gets the Eric Cartmen joke

If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 02:21:17 PM »
That was a funny episode because it was just like those talk shows where the rebellious teen girls come on there. The episode was mimicing stuff like this: