Author Topic: Kippahs and prayer shawls and Noachides.  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Kippahs and prayer shawls and Noachides.
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
  What is the Jewish view on this? Can we wear them when we pray? Can we wear them? I saw a Joseph shawl, but I think it had tzitzits, which I believe we can not wear. I really want a Breslov Kippah, can I wear one?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Kippahs and prayer shawls and Noachides.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
  What is the Jewish view on this? Can we wear them when we pray? Can we wear them? I saw a Joseph shawl, but I think it had tzitzits, which I believe we can not wear. I really want a Breslov Kippah, can I wear one?

Not sure of the "Jewish view", but my personal view is I would not recommend it. Perhaps you as Noahides can have your own types of uniform or outward sign(s) in others recognizing you and you recognizing each other as well. Just a thought.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 10:17:50 PM »
http://www.aish.com/jw/s/80405497.html

Q2: In practical terms, what does it mean to be a practicing Noachide?

The basic seven laws are actually “root concepts” of a total life outlook. These are outlined in the many Noachide “guidebooks” that have been published, for example, Path of the Righteous Gentile by Chaim Clorfene and Yaakov Rogalsky. In fact, we just published a new book called Guide for the Noahide by Rabbi Michael Shelomo Bar-Ron. When someone reaches a stage of commitment, there is a standard Noachide pledge -- a public declaration stating belief in One God, recognizing the authority of Torah, and agreeing to uphold the seven laws.

Beyond that, it’s pretty much up to the individual to do what is meaningful to him. For example, I eat cheeseburgers, but not pork or shellfish. I observe a day of rest on Shabbat (certainly not on Sunday, which is a Christian innovation); I don’t work, but I do drive a car. I’ve been learning how to pray in Hebrew, which I feel will get me closer to God. So like I said -- aside from the seven laws, it’s pretty much a personal thing.

The one place we draw the line is that we’re careful not to give a false impression of being Jewish. For me that means I wouldn’t wear a kippah or tzitzit in public, although I am aware of Noachides who do. If I want to put a mezuzah on my door, I would put it on the inside of the doorpost, not the outside facing the street. And of course we are careful not to do anything that smacks of starting a new religion; historically that’s been tried many times before with damaging results.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »
Although I do not completely agree with Rabbi Yoel Schwartz on several issues, he is one of the Rabbis who I know deals with Noahide issues and my guess is that at least he will permit Noahides to wear Kippahs and prayer shawls.
I have not officially asked him, but if you want to, go to:
http://dvar.org.il/ask-the-rabbi
Rabbi Schwartz is part of the staff of the Dvar, Yeshiva.
Now let's say he does give you a lenient ruling, a question arises what are the positives and negatives of actually wearing Kippahs and prayer shawls.
The positives are that it will encourage some non-observant Jews to also perform these commandments and it will deepen a Noahide's attachment to G-d. The negatives are that this might cause some unwanted blurring between Jews and Noahides and there is a danger that someone might abuse, the use of Kippahs and prayer shawls to start a new religion.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:00:05 PM »
Thanks guys! Tag that is a good idea, as long as it isn't rainbow colored.  >:( :::D

Glad you're back Dan!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
Thanks guys! Tag that is a good idea, as long as it isn't rainbow colored.  >:( :::D

Yea, i remember that. Do not understand why they would even do that ( know the reference to the rainbow and Noah) but still the symbol has been generally associated with homos soo I would definitly not recommend that.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »
I said that rain would be a better symbol for the gays because "It's Raining Men" is a much gayer song than "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

:::D