Author Topic: College Professor wants to GET RID OF ALGEBRA! (Dumbing down of America Alert!)  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Maimonides

• Pro JTFer
  • The Greatest Jewish Sage
This Queens College Professor is proposing eliminating algebra as a required course in school. This is the deliberate dumbing down of America. Without algebra students will not be able to study any advance mathematics, which are necessary for so many professions such as engineers, scientists, chemists, etc. A few years ago advocating eliminating algebra would be unthinkable, and now it is being promoted in the NY Times. We are truly living in strange times!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/is-algebra-necessary.html?_r=1

A TYPICAL American school day finds some six million high school students and two million college freshmen struggling with algebra. In both high school and college, all too many students are expected to fail. Why do we subject American students to this ordeal? I’ve found myself moving toward the strong view that we shouldn’t.

My question extends beyond algebra and applies more broadly to the usual mathematics sequence, from geometry through calculus. State regents and legislators — and much of the public — take it as self-evident that every young person should be made to master polynomial functions and parametric equations.

There are many defenses of algebra and the virtue of learning it. Most of them sound reasonable on first hearing; many of them I once accepted. But the more I examine them, the clearer it seems that they are largely or wholly wrong — unsupported by research or evidence, or based on wishful logic. (I’m not talking about quantitative skills, critical for informed citizenship and personal finance, but a very different ballgame.)

This debate matters. Making mathematics mandatory prevents us from discovering and developing young talent. In the interest of maintaining rigor, we’re actually depleting our pool of brainpower. I say this as a writer and social scientist whose work relies heavily on the use of numbers. My aim is not to spare students from a difficult subject, but to call attention to the real problems we are causing by misdirecting precious resources.

The toll mathematics takes begins early. To our nation’s shame, one in four ninth graders fail to finish high school. In South Carolina, 34 percent fell away in 2008-9, according to national data released last year; for Nevada, it was 45 percent. Most of the educators I’ve talked with cite algebra as the major academic reason....
“You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes”- Maimonides

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
It's this kind of thinking from some of these libtards that's just going to make us become another Mexico someday.

Also, not every job requires a high school diploma.  There are opportunities in the field of fast food, retail and light industry that don't require one to get a high school diploma.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
I see some of the points he's making, I really do. It was a good article. I'm sure an argument can be made against him, but I am a past failure in math. My last math teacher (8 years ago) passed me because he liked me and because he made me swear never to pursue anything in math. My dad loves math, but I hate it so much. I suck at math so badly that if you compare my math skills to Islam's Jew loving skills, Islam would be the Schindler of the Jewish people.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
This Queens College Professor is proposing eliminating algebra as a required course in school. This is the deliberate dumbing down of America. Without algebra students will not be able to study any advance mathematics, which are necessary for so many professions such as engineers, scientists, chemists, etc. A few years ago advocating eliminating algebra would be unthinkable, and now it is being promoted in the NY Times. We are truly living in strange times!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/is-algebra-necessary.html?_r=1

It's a cultural assumption by me that the reason for this is because you don't need to know algebra if you are going to be president of the United States.. Just look at our President and every other culturally Black American.  They don't know math for crap.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Algebra is racist.
Oh, wait, addition is racist. 1+1 is racist.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Numbas be racists!!!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Algebra is a very, very important thing for a modern American to understand. I fail to see why anyone would attempt to say otherwise. Algebra is the EASIEST of all the mathematical disciplines. 5 + X = 10 {What is X?} Solving for the unknown is a essential for most professions. Although I don't use Algebra in day to day software engineering tasks, I would not be able to do what I do without being able to break down a task into smaller units in order to solve the problem.

What is essential to learn from mathematics is the process used to derive the final results. Whether or not the actual equations are used later in life is not important. The way we think is molded by how we learn in High School and College...

solution

5 + X = 10
X = 10 -5
X = 5
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
Nothing to worry about the Algebra. It was made popular among and by the EuroCommunists because they thought that Algebra has originated from arab.

Now they know that it has not.

http://www.corvalliscommunitypages.com/asia_pacific/mathindia.htm

So now they are attempting to decimate the Algebra.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
I think learning basic algebra is important in teaching your brain to think in a logical way. Anything more advanced than that probably isn't needed by the average person but I think algebra is important to at least understand the easiest problems.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Good news!!!  They are bringing back Algebra.... under a new curriculum.  Its called Ebono-Algebra.   

1)  Solve for X.

If Shanshiquisha Ala Akbar Jackson wants a new Cadillac, how many babies will she need to have to receive enough governement benefits to cover the monthly payments.  Please sho yo work!!!!

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
Good news!!!  They are bringing back Algebra.... under a new curriculum.  Its called Ebono-Algebra.   

1)  Solve for X.

If Shanshiquisha Ala Akbar Jackson wants a new Cadillac, how many babies will she need to have to receive enough governement benefits to cover the monthly payments.  Please sho yo work!!!!

X be over 9000, mhmm

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member

1)  Solve for X.

Back in my day we had what was then called the new math... It was impossible to understand...  I guess you are now giving us a preview of the even newer math  :::D  The thing is they might be on to something with this newer math... By putting the problem in language the affirmative action bunch can understand the education system might see some improvement in the numbers... Personally I would rather not see the work needed to solve the problem :::D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮

1)  Solve for X.

you made a crucial mistake here. 'show work'.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member

1)  Solve for X.

;D :laugh: :::D
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
Algebra provides maximum of logical reasoning built up within the brain. Other subjects enhance variably higher amounts of abstract reasoning as well.

So Algebra is basically a must at least for them who can pass through it. For others it can be made non-compulsory. 

• Ultimate JTFer
MATH! LOL

• Ultimate JTFer

• Ultimate JTFer

• Ultimate JTFer
And this is the best one

Offline NoMosqueHere

• Master JTFer