Author Topic: Can a Possum be Domesticated?  (Read 23088 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Can a Possum be Domesticated?
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:03:09 AM »
What a topic?!?

I don't know what to do... Recently I have discovered a Possum living in my backyard. This is no ordinary Possum, mind you, this is a Possum with personality. It seems this possum knows what time I get home from work, along with several of my 'outside cats' which I feed when I get home. This possum sits right outside my sliding-glass window looking at me like a begging cat {and I now have a begging cat who comes to the front door to get fed}. This Possum doesn't run away when I open the door, and I have even reached toward it and it doesn't run. Most of the 'outside cats' don't even let me get close to them, but the Possum seems to not mind being close to me. I will not touch it because I have heard that Possums might carry Rabbies, and it does have quite a mouthful of teeth and a long skinny snout.

Anyone here have any experience with such a playful Possum?

This is not my Possum, just an image off the Internet...

PS: It's funny that all of my cats are not even phased by eating next to a Possum...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Can a Possum be Domesticated?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:51:49 AM »
I just dreamed about rats or mice last night.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:12:51 AM »
I just dreamed about rats or mice last night.

Rats and mice I don't hope to domesticate... They are summarily executed...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:34:08 AM »
Rats and mice I don't hope to domesticate... They are summarily executed...
That possum might just be playing itself.

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
Domesticated  :::D Sounds like a candidate for some possum pie.... I'd be concerned over  the fact that the possum is wandering around in daylight... The possum will not attack you but if you try to touch him he might give you a nice bite... Possums are nasty they hang around things that are dead...Some years ago an old black coworker of mine told me about a crazy cousin that would go possum hunting... He would get an old horse carcass and drag it out into the woods... He would place a sack over the dead horses head and leave it there a day or so... He would then go back and beat on the carcass with a bat... Possums love to enter carcasses like that from the rump and work their way right through... When the guy beat on the carcass with the bat the possum would flee through the mouth and into the sack... Dinner was then on its way to the stove... In short you don't want this possum hanging out with your cats... The possums are dirty disease ridden animals.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »
Thanks cjd...

I've just never had a possum wait at the door to be fed with the cats {and I have taken care of cats for almost 25 years}....

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »
These little creatures can most definitely be domesticated.   Feeding them everyday and being visible, speaking to them gentley,  will tame them and they will become like pets after awhile...

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
yah, thanks cjd. now I know what to have for dinner. and how to hunt them.
roasted giant rat.
where can I get a dead horse?

Well, I knew someone who used to trap possum in a cage with pieces of food.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
Thanks cjd...

I've just never had a possum wait at the door to be fed with the cats {and I have taken care of cats for almost 25 years}....
We have the same situation here on Long Island... The possums and raccoons are getting use to being around people... The raccoon in it's normal element is a cleaner animal than the filthy possum... Sadly when the raccoon starts hanging around people they resort to ripping the garbage bag open and eating what they find there...  My cousin had a raccoon that would scratch at the door around dusk for a scrap of bread or some other tidbit... He came around like clockwork each evening... I was sitting there one night watching this little show and became distressed  because the raccoon was sort of large and at the time my cousin had small children... I told my cousin he should discontinue feeding the raccoon at the door because one day one of the kids will open the door when he wasn't around and not have anything for the raccoon there might be a problem... Worse still the raccoon might enter the house and become aggressive if it felt trapped...  I am surprised the possum and cats get along so well... If your feeding you cats outside the possum will be right there along with them or coming by later for anything the cats leave behind... In most cases it will be the cats that go after the possum not the possum after the cats it seems however that both possum and cats are able to eat at the same so called table.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »
Possums are generally a beneficial animal. They eat rodents and slugs. They are also not very prone to getting rabies, although this is a danger with any wild mammal, I've read that possums have a lot of resistance to it for some reason.

They have very short lifespans compared to most mammals of their size. Even though they're about the size of a cat, and cats can live for 15 years (less if they're outside cats), possums naturally only live 2-4 years.

Since the possum is a fully wild animal and not a feral/partially domestic animal like feral cats, I wouldn't recommend feeding it but if you do, I don't recommend trying to tame it. They are generally not dangerous animals if you leave them alone outside, but if you were to upset it or make it feel cornered somehow, it can have a vicious bite and it has powerful claws too. I wouldn't try to touch it. It could also have babies in its pouch and it would need to be in the wild to properly care for them.

I'm more concerned about the fact that if a possum is being attracted to your food dishes, that more dangerous animals might also be attracted to them. Raccoons, skunks, foxes, and coyotes for example are a very big rabies risk and you could expose yourself to their saliva if you touch the bowls with bare hands.

I had a little bit of a scary incident last year when I picked up a bowl with my bare hands and I realized that a raccoon had slobbered all over it. I washed my hands immediately and I thought I might have to go get shots but I had some things in my favor. One of them was that I didn't have any open sores on my hands right then, also raccoons in my area tend to be clean (although they can be rabid). Most of the rabid animals around here in my local area are coyotes, skunks, and bats. Plus usually if an animal is sick then it will show it in 10 days and that particular raccoon had been around for a couple of weeks and only showed up after dark and looked very healthy. Still, I'd hate for you to put yourself at risk like that. There's pretty much no chance of survival if you get rabies. If you get it, you'll die, and it can happen from something as simple as that.

I'd recommend at least wearing gloves when you handle the food bowls as you can also get ringworm, actual worms, or other problems if you've got wild and feral animals eating out of the bowls and then you touch them. Zoonotic disease is something that everyone that feeds animals has to be careful about.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »
Rubystars,

Thank you for your informative response... I will take your advice.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
Rubystars,

Thank you for your informative response... I will take your advice.

You're welcome! Thankfully I've only been feeding a few cats outside but I've still learned a lot from them.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »
Yikes Muman, are you serious?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »
Yikes Muman, are you serious?

I don't really want a pet possum... I just wanted to share that I have a possum in my backyard who appears to not be afraid of humans.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 06:46:48 PM »
Opossums have very low rabies rates because marsupials have a lower blood temperature than most other mammals, which makes it harder for the virus to get established. They are not dangerous or aggressive to anyone or anything; they will only bite to defend themselves.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 05:03:54 AM »
I wouldn't mess around and take any chances with animals like that, if at all possumible.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 08:15:30 AM »
I had a possum show up in backyard a few weeks ago in broad daylight. Since I have cats (indoor cats but I do let them out into the yard) I wanted to chase the possum away. So I run out of my house straight at it yelling and flailing my arms around like a madman. I got to within about 6 feet of the possum, who at this point is standing there looking at me and not budging. The whole thing was pretty funny. At that point I decided to hiss at it like I do with my cats when they've been naughty. Much to my surprise, the second I start hissing the possum takes off running and has not returned since.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 10:27:06 AM »
I had a possum show up in backyard a few weeks ago in broad daylight. Since I have cats (indoor cats but I do let them out into the yard) I wanted to chase the possum away. So I run out of my house straight at it yelling and flailing my arms around like a madman. I got to within about 6 feet of the possum, who at this point is standing there looking at me and not budging. The whole thing was pretty funny. At that point I decided to hiss at it like I do with my cats when they've been naughty. Much to my surprise, the second I start hissing the possum takes off running and has not returned since.

did you post it on youtube?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »

Someone might've disturbed its nest, that was probably why it was wandering around in the daytime. I think it's cute when they run. When you get used to their odd features (they look rather primitive) they can be really cute animals. I like them. I'd be more afraid of one of the cats hurting the possum. One of them took a swipe at it and it backed away, and trotted off. I felt like the possums couldn't see very well. I could stand right there at the window watching them eat and they didn't notice me unless I moved.

It was kind of funny because they'd come up and slurp all the slugs on the concrete. If possums were the only wild animal that I had to worry about I wouldn't mind. I've tried not to leave food out too much at night because I don't want to attract other wild animals though.

I wouldn't mess around and take any chances with animals like that, if at all possumible.

:::D

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »
did you post it on youtube?

Had I know how hilarious the whole thing was going to wind up being, I certainly would have recorded it.  ;D
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
Someone might've disturbed its nest, that was probably why it was wandering around in the daytime. I think it's cute when they run. When you get used to their odd features (they look rather primitive) they can be really cute animals. I like them. I'd be more afraid of one of the cats hurting the possum. One of them took a swipe at it and it backed away, and trotted off. I felt like the possums couldn't see very well. I could stand right there at the window watching them eat and they didn't notice me unless I moved.

It was kind of funny because they'd come up and slurp all the slugs on the concrete. If possums were the only wild animal that I had to worry about I wouldn't mind. I've tried not to leave food out too much at night because I don't want to attract other wild animals though.

:::D

That's a very good point about their eyesight. It almost looked like the possum was unable to see me until I got pretty close. They are a bit strange looking if you're not used to them but I don't mind them too much. Then again, I think raccoons are cute.
---Thomas Jefferson