Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 4678 times)

Offline Dan Ben Noah

• Full JTFer
Shalom
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:21:33 PM »
Shalom
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:39:55 PM by Dan Ben Noah »
Jeremiah 16:19 O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!

Zechariah 8:23 So said the Lord of Hosts: In those days, when ten men of all the languages of the nations shall take hold of the skirt of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Yemenite arguments against prohibiting electricity on Shabbat
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »
Switching a circuit on/off is most certainly prohibited. I posted several years ago why this is so. What is the purpose of posting this? To get Jews to violate Shabbat?

As an Electrical engineer I can say that it is a violation of completing. An open circuit is not complete, thus the electricity doesn't flow into the appliance, once closed the circuit is complete and the appliance or light works. The reason the circuit was created was so that when one wants WORK to be done he closes the circuit.

I don't know what is so hard about that...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:48:57 PM »
There is so much wrong with this post I almost find it offensive... But I will deal with the issues.

I guess if we type' on the computer keyboard we are not guilty of WRITING which is a violation of the Sabbath because the keyboard doesn't cause any marks on paper... thus there are no prohibitions of sabbath according to this "rabbi"

It is OK to cook with a microwave because no fire is involved... yeah....
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:54:54 PM »
I will add that most rabbis I talk to do allow the use of timers for. Electrical equipment.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:58:23 PM »
This article contains comprehensive discussions of which Rabbi said which and why he said it...

http://www.daat.ac.il/daat/english/journal/broyde_1.htm

Preface

The topic of electricity in halacha is unique to our generation since there are no direct precedents in the Talmud or rishonim and the halachic discussion of this topic has been ongoing for less than 100 years. It is only since the technology developed and appliances became electrically powered that many of these questions arose... Over time many works were printed and it has become an established part of rabbinic literature. ("Electricity," Encyclopedia Talmudit 18:642).

Introduction

The advances of technology have posed practical challenge to decisors throughout the ages. One of the hallmarks of Jewish law is its ability - and desire - to assimilate technological advances into the practices of observant Jews. The application of ancient and venerated principles of halacha to new situations has been, and remains, one of the essential tasks of modern decisors of Jewish law. In the last one hundred years, this task has become considerably more difficult due to the rapid and frequent changes in the state of technology.

This article surveys halacha's response to one of the technological breakthroughs of the last 150 years: the invention of electricity. In particular, it explores halacha's understanding of the use of electricity on Shabbat and Yom Tov within the rubric of prohibited work (melacha).1 The technological revolution caused by the widespread use of electrical appliances has led to great discussion and debate within halachic circles. Thousands of monographs, responsa, and books have been written by halachic authorities in the preceding decades relating to the use of electricity on Shabbat and Yom Tov.2

This article is divided into five sections. The first discusses the basis for the prohibition of turning on or off incandescent lights on Shabbat. The second addresses the use of electricity where no light and heat is produced (e.g., turning on a fan). The third discusses the differences between Shabbat and Yom Tov for purposes of the rules developed in sections one and two. The fourth analyzes various specific appliances in light of the rules developed, and the fifth discusses various issues relating to the use of timers to control appliances on Shabbat and Yom Tov.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »
These are just some opinions from some rabbis within the Yemenite community.  Apparently certain forms of electricity use do not meet what they would call a prohibition.  Although there are other reasons that they stay away from certain electrical use on Shabbat.  As with Kabbalah, there are certain things that have become predominant in the Ashkenazi world which was not always a part of Judaism, and the Yemenite community is one of those communities that are still not completely under the Ashkenazi yoke and reserve the right to interpret for themselves the things that are not universal laws as determined in the Talmud and codified in Mishneh Torah.  By the way, this is not to get people to break Shabbat, people should observe Shabbat according to the Jewish community they happen to be in (I believe that's the principle of minhag hamakom).

You are aware that we are permitted to USE ELECTRICITY on Shabbat, just not Turn On a switch which causes electricity to flow, thus timers and lights already on are just fine.

Also this has nothing to do with Kabbalah, which you seem to have an aversion to. We have argued about Kabbalah, which in my opinion has a long and healthy history in Jewish tradition, so why are you bringing it up here?

I was BORN JEWISH and thus I have a tradition which has been handed down from father to son, for generations. Sometimes it seems to me you are picking and choosing the beliefs which suit your reasoning.

PS: I can find no mention of Yemenites ever saying that it is ok to turn on an electric appliance on Shabbat. Could you find any mention of this or just this article?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:19:34 AM »
Well the article mentions a Teimani teacher that turned on lights on Shabbat.  All I'm doing is posting an interesting find that I had not heard about before.  This is similar to Kabbalah because both practices originated in the European communities, and they look at things differently from the Yemenite side.  You may have received a certain tradition, but there are other communities who also received traditions that may have differences from yours.

I have no problem with others minhags or understandings. But I have searched for any other website which discusses the issue of Temani Jews and the question about electricity on Shabbat. Apparently it is not the majority custom to use electricity or I would have found more references to it. But indeed it is a valid question, I don't have any problem with asking questions.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:22:28 AM »
To your credit apparently the Temani Jews do have some alternate interpretations to some Halacha:

http://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/11623/non-yemenites-who-heat-up-soup-after-the-start-of-shabbat

The most widely held practice regarding heating up liquids on Shabbat is that it is prohibited, though there are differences of practice between Ashkenazim and Sephardim regarding sauces and such (Sephardim are generally more permissive).

There are Yemenite Jews who practice strictly according to the Rambam's rulings and therefore they will lechatchila, a priori, (i.e. it is 100% permissible) remove cold soup from a refrigerator and place it on a hot plate for heating purposes. For an interesting shiur on the subject from Rav Melamed, rabbi of the Har Bracha yeshiva, see: http://www.yeshiva.org.il/midrash/shiur.asp?id=642

My question is the following: I was told by an old friend of Atara Twersky, the daughter of Rav Soloveitchik, that she also used to heat up soups on Shabbat. I don't know if this means that she was following the practice of her father, or her husband, the Talner Rebbe, Rabbi Isador Yitzchak Twersky.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Rav Soloveitchik's halachic rulings in this area? Are there others who follow this practice?

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:00:32 AM »
Dan Ben Noah, I do not know of any Yemenite Rabbi today that would permit, turning electricity on and off, in the usual way on Shabbat.
And even if in theory you could find someone, he certainly wouldn't represent the majority view of Yemenite Rabbis.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 03:12:36 AM »
By the way muman613 thank you for providing an easy to access source that sums up the halacha regarding electricity.

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »
The main problem is turning on electricity manually, to a lesser extent it is forbidden to turn it off manually, but virtually all Jews use electricity in Shabat. I think the Karaim claim they avoid electricity and sit in the dark throughout the Shabat.