Author Topic: VP debate a tie according to top commentator  (Read 383 times)

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
VP debate a tie according to top commentator
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »
Here is the analysis.

This was a very interesting debate.
If you want to cut to the chase, here’s the short version…

In my opinion, it was technically a tie.

On substance alone, Paul Ryan won.

For the extremely bizarre behavior that Biden demonstrated, Biden lost.

Here I will get into a bit more detail.

Almost from the moment the debate started, VP Biden made an absolute ass of himself.He was constantly laughing at everything Ryan said.

Joe didn’t just laugh however, he sneered. He was extraordinarily disrespectful. A number of commentators stated that they had never in all the years they had been seeing these debates, witnessed a vice president acting so unprofessional and so rude. I agree with this assessment 100%.

I don’t know if the final count is in, but last I heard, they had counted 81+ times that Biden interrupted Paul Ryan.You figure that the debate was only 90 minutes long, so if you divide the time in half (even though Biden got a little bit more) that means that approximately every 30 seconds of Ryan speaking, Biden was interrupting him.

In addition, Biden was a whiner. Whining that he didn’t get enough time. Yet he actually got about a minute and a half longer, according to the statistics, of speaking then Paul Ryan.

What’s worse, is that Biden was factually incorrect on much of what he said – everything from form policy to taxes. Independent fact checkers have said that Paul Ryan was dead on the money with his analysis.

So with all of this, why would I say the debate was roughly even?

One of the things that Biden did from a persuasion standpoint is used authority to his advantage. Biden is a generation older than Paul Ryan. And his authority really came through. If Biden had simply use the power of his authority without being disrespectful and condescending, he probably would’ve won the debate (that is, if substance doesn’t matter to anyone).

Due to the constant interruptions, a lot of Ryan’s very powerful points were kind of swept under the table.Like for example when Biden said that the Catholic Church nor any of his hospitals would be forced to provide abortion services for anyone and that they were happy with the way things were being handled. Ryan said, if that’s true, why are they suing you? But because of the moderator’s constant interruption, and clear favoritism for the VP, that kind of got buried.

To my way of looking at things, Ryan not only held his own, but proved conclusively that he was a great vice presidential candidate. Ryan made very clear who the boss was on his ticket – Romney. Most of what Biden had to say was all about himself.

In the end, Biden’s strength was his authority, his utter downfall was his lack of respect And (there’s no other way to say this) seriously bizarre behavior.

I think overall, this didn’t change many peoples minds. I watched a focus group interview and nobody really change their mind based on this debate.

However, the thing that did happen is that it is consolidating the fact that Romney and Ryan could easily be the president and vice president. Before the first presidential debate and the first vice presidential debate, this was not as clearly known in the minds of the public. These debates cut through all the negative advertising and have shown the world who the opposition to Obama and Biden really are.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
Re: VP debate a tie according to top commentator
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
If someone could ban acciturfsteef please.
He (it) is posting links to naughty russian sites.
Thanks.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:55:05 AM »
If someone could ban acciturfsteef please.
He (it) is posting links to naughty russian sites.
Thanks.

I noticed that, too.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:48:54 AM »
At the best it can be said about Biden that he could have been a better presidential candidate for the demos.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.