Author Topic: Brooklyn Cafe Charged with Adding $25 to Kippa-Wearing Jews  (Read 830 times)

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Brooklyn Cafe Charged with Adding $25 to Kippa-Wearing Jews
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:49:39 AM »
The iconic River Cafe, on the Brooklyn waterfront in DUMBO—an acronym for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass-- discriminates against Jews dressed in religious garb by enforcing a $25 minimum per guest to sit at the bar, according to an investigative report by The New York Post, which cites one current and one former employee who make the claim.

The employees are instructed to use code words to alert other staff members if anyone wearing a kippah or “strings”—an apparent reference to tzitzit—asks to be seated at the bar, workers said, according to The Post.

A book that reservationists use “says that if two religious Jews come in, we call ahead to the maitre d’ and say, ‘Is there space for two at the water bar?’ — in which case a minimum of $25 will be enforced that is just for Jews wearing yarmulkes or any sort of religious hat,” said one staffer.

The Post also provides images of the reservation book that appear to back up the claims of the employees. “….Have decided that when people come in for the bar and are A. wearing sweat pants and B. religious top hats and strings, you must say for A. gym bar and for B. water bar. Thanks,” reads a note in the book.

“If they look as if they will only order water (not that we stereotype or anything) mention the minimum right away,” another note says. “If they ask for the bar and there is room, tell them there is a minimum at the bar as well.”

While the café management refuted the allegation, claiming that the “$25 minimum applies to everyone” the Post acquired further evidence to substantiate its claim by sending an identifiably Jewish couple to the bar, followed by two secular looking reporters five minutes later.

The reporters were not required to pay a minimum fee and their bill totaled $18.51. The Jewish couple, however, was instructed that they would need to pay a minimum of $25 each.

While the River Café is not kosher, it has become a popular date spot for ultra-Orthodox Jews who enjoy its scenic views.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/161194#.UIVAJoZP8oU
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Re: Brooklyn Cafe Charged with Adding $25 to Kippa-Wearing Jews
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »
shouldn't take it personal. its not because they want to discriminate against jews.
its just business. although they are stereo typing jews.
hey, they say the same about cheapskate chinese too.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »
shouldn't take it personal. its not because they want to discriminate against jews.
its just business. although they are stereo typing jews.
hey, they say the same about cheapskate chinese too.

The 5 reporters were not charged a minimum of 25 dollars each.
Their bill came to 18.51
Pretty clear case.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
They know the Ultra Orhodox are not going to order anything so they need to make up for it by 25 Dollar cover.I'm not saying it's right but it's business.They're taking up space from people who would order something
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
The 5 reporters were not charged a minimum of 25 dollars each.
Their bill came to 18.51
Pretty clear case.

I'm not saying what they did was right. it was just a matter of money.
think of it this way: those cheapskate martians will probably just order water. next time you see martians, make sure they know there's a $25 minimum.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »
If the place isn't kosher I have to wonder why Orthodox would go there anyway but I do hope that they at least apologize for discriminating now that this has been exposed. By the way are there any other places around NYC that should absolutely not get any JTFer's business?

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »
They know the Ultra Orhodox are not going to order anything so they need to make up for it by 25 Dollar cover.I'm not saying it's right but it's business.They're taking up space from people who would order something
So they should be upfront with them; therefore, the Jews won't be taking up the spots anymore. Either that, or they should make a cover charge at 10 or 15 for everybody.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 02:43:09 AM »
What a void in gods name these Jews are making. If I was the owner and my restaurant was not Kosher I would be like " you know we are not kosher right? Can we help you?

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 02:49:21 AM »
I disagree with any religious Jew entering this place, even if it's just for the "view" and a drink. The entire place is treif.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 03:51:24 AM »
Sue the f'ers. Blatant case of discrimination. Fish in a barrel.