Author Topic: Way off topic....  (Read 1270 times)

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
Way off topic....
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »
It seems my life is getting more and more miserable. I find myself harboring negative thoughts and bitterness in regard to oBama trashing this country (US) and to a certain extent the world. I feel that there are a growing number of people who out of ignorance, laziness, envy, greed, etc. are in agreence with him and other radical leftists..... not to mention the radical Islamists.

How do you (reader) cope with this and keep a positive outlook? I find great happiness with my dogs... yes, my dogs... two beautiful Weimaraners, an old sweet stray formerly abused rat terrier, and a chi-weenie.

Serious question.... should I be concerned with the fact that I prefer dogs to most people? I have always been outgoing with an extremely positive outlook on life, always happy, energetic.... I am slowly losing this and becoming an [censored]. Anyone else battling this or similar changes? I am beginning to see that nice people don't get the same results as someone who is an [censored].... but I am not this way to certain people, I seem to be able to pick up fairly quickly the type person I am dealing with. Oh.. and I am far less compassionate and patient with SOME people. Is that necessarily bad? I see patients all day and can put on a certain act to get me through.... but I wonder if they know my true thoughts?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Way off topic....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 11:36:30 PM »
Come to the JTF meetings where you can connect with like-minded people.  They're now once a month.

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:57:13 PM »
בס''ד

Your concern is not off-topic. It's very relevant.

We live in an evil world. Our challenge is to try to correct things and improve things as much as we can. Someday there will be a triumph of good over evil when the final redemption comes. But until that happens, we have to do our best to serve G-d and to influence things in a positive way. Never forget that the real Ruler of the Universe is good and He will reward those who do good.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:51:05 AM »
Shalom drimg,

It sounds like you have a case of the blahs. While it may be true that things are looking rather bleak at the moment for the country, and our brothers and sisters in Israel, we must not allow this to deter us, or weaken our spirit, lest we be dragged down with the ship.

According to Jewish belief the world is sustained in the merit of the righteous. One righteous individual can change things just enough to reverse any negative decrees which may be coming our way. Some of our sages have said that depression itself leads one to sin, and that it is very important to never be afraid of any reality which may come our way. We must face anything, good or evil, with the belief that in the end the righteous will succeed, and all wickedness will be destroyed.

With this idea firmly in mind we can face any prospect. Sure it seems very bad at the moment, but I have seen that it is possible to influence people with a positive attitude. This attitude comes from the Jewish idea of Trust & Faith in the One G-d, who is capable of anything, and there is nothing which he cannot do. Every day I thank him that I am alive. No matter how dire it seems at this time, we all know that it could {and has} been 1000x worse in our history. I thank Hashem for my livelihood, my food, my relationships and I always remember where I came from, my people came from, and the dreams of my forefathers.

It is important to take care to avoid depression. As others have suggested a little humor from time to time will do the soul good.

I love animals too, and it is good you have a great relationship with your dog. But we cannot marry our pets, and no matter what a relationship with a pet is a selfish relationship. Hashem told us that we must find our soul-mate who will not always agree with us, who was given to us in order to bring us to our best by sometimes bringing our our worst. A relationship with a pet is only one or two dimensional. I have a great relationship with my cats, and one cat would marry me if she could. But I still need a human-to-human relationship, as the wisdom of Hashem is only understandable by mankind.

I hope you feel better. As you see there are friends here at JTF...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:57:19 AM »
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1472060/jewish/Why-Did-G-d-Give-Me-Depression.htm

What’s So Great About Depression?

Now let’s apply that to depression—a natural human emotion, but an ugly and debilitating one. Of all human emotions, there is none more destructive—save, perhaps, anger. Depression is the state of a human psyche decomposing, losing all its form and potential. “Depression is not a sin,” the early chassidim used to say, “but it can take you to places lower than any sin can take you.”

That is why, every mitzvah must be done with joy, every prayer with song and every word of Torah studied with enthusiasm—not just because without that joyful enthusiasm, you are simply not there within that mitzvah, but because without joy, the Jew lives in a precarious state. “Because you didn’t serve G‑d your G‑d with joy and a good heart…and so you will serve your enemies.” Meaning: When a Jew acts as a Jew but with a heavy heart, he is fair game for the enemy within—the urges and passions of his animal soul.

Yet, as we said, if our Creator put it within us, there must be a place for it. A place where it provides a valuable function and contributes to healthy living. If it’s hurting you, it must be that it’s just not in that right place.

Solomon the wise said, “From every sadness there will be an advantage.” Meaning that the sadness itself has no advantage, but an advantage comes out of it, when it’s over and done with. But is there any advantage that comes out of depression?

Yes, one thing: A depressed person feels very small. That’s good.Smallness is good. Especially when breaking out of your cell. Because once small enough, you can fit between the bars of any prison cell and escape. Especially the prison cells in which we lock up our own selves.

The prison of all prisons is the ego. A person obsessed with his own self-worth can never find happiness. First of all, because most of happiness is in small things—and when you’re very big, small things are too insignificant to deserve your interest. Secondly, because once you feel important, there is no limit to how important you are—and therefore no limit to what you feel you deserve.

A small person feels he deserves nothing—whatever he gets is an unexpected gift. And he’s small enough to notice the small delights of life. In fact, in his eyes, they’re not small anymore —they tower above him.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:21:58 AM »
I think one reason that animals seem so much better than people is that they don't have evil in their nature. They can do things that are harmful sometimes but it's not based on the kind of malicious intent that a person might have when doing those things. At least dogs and cats are basically innocent beings. After dealing with leftists and other assorted undesirables at work all day or in other areas of life it can be nice just to have someone like an animal to talk to, play with, take care of, etc. who's not going to argue with you and loves you no matter what. I don't think they're a substitute for human relationships but they are still sentient beings and there's nothing wrong with having some pets for companions too.

Offline JTFenthusiast

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »
I think one reason that animals seem so much better than people is that they don't have evil in their nature. They can do things that are harmful sometimes but it's not based on the kind of malicious intent that a person might have when doing those things. At least dogs and cats are basically innocent beings. After dealing with leftists and other assorted undesirables at work all day or in other areas of life it can be nice just to have someone like an animal to talk to, play with, take care of, etc. who's not going to argue with you and loves you no matter what. I don't think they're a substitute for human relationships but they are still sentient beings and there's nothing wrong with having some pets for companions too.

I love dogs.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
you are being realistic. that's all. unfortunately there is no good news to come.
hopefully we will have some good news wednesday morning in november.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »
Just remember what Chaim says... eventually, good will prevail.    Don't ever forget that!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 01:44:30 PM »
I love dogs.

Me too they're wonderful animals.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
Time for some 'Cute Puppies' videos...

Cute Kittens:

More Cute Puppies:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
One more..

Well, maybe another... Love the cats...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:25:09 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »
Here is a short clip of my cat Pepper..

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:00:36 PM by muman613 »

Offline USAReturn2GodNow1776

• Pro JTFer
  • proud christian & kahanist
    • the urban grind
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 04:48:44 PM »
Thinking about animals has led me to conclude that the concept of eternal heaven and hell makes no sense. Animals don't deserve to be tortured, not because they are good but because they were not given the capacity to do evil. Similarly humans don't deserve to be tortured eternally, not because they have done eternal good but because they were not given the ability to do eternal evil. By eternal evil I mean to harm someone else in a way that adversely effects them for an eternity. You'd have to understand that what you did was evil and have knowledge that your harm is in fact eternal.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:59:20 PM by DeathToIslam1776 »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 05:03:27 PM »
I was used to having dogs before so when I rescued the kittens from outside I wasn't really sure how they would be different as pets so I told them they were good puppies. They didn't care what I called them.  :::D

In reality I realize they're not that different. They're pretty much like differently shaped dogs in a lot of ways. Only one of them is a little aloof but she still likes to be petted. I don't know why cats have such a reputation for not connecting with people since all the ones I've interacted with (mine and other people's) seem to be about as friendly as dogs.

Pepper looks like a real sweetie pie Muman. You're lucky to have her.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »
Thinking about animals has led me to conclude that the concept of eternal heaven and hell makes no sense. Animals don't deserve to be tortured, not because they are good but because they were not given the capacity to do evil. Similarly humans don't deserve to be tortured eternally, not because they have done eternal good but because they were not given the ability to do eternal evil. By eternal evil I mean to harm someone else in a way that adversely effects them for an eternity. You'd have to understand that what you did was evil and have knowledge that your harm is in fact eternal.

Some people should never be allowed to go into eternal happiness with the righteous and should always be kept away from others if their spirit is not destroyed (which I don't think happens). If someone leads other people astray and causes them to turn evil then yes I think they can affect other people for eternity. On the other hand I think that for God to create someone who lives in obedience to God then to allow that person's spirit to be destroyed would be really cruel so I think we should not really question that God has a place set aside for righteous people too.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:57:01 PM by Rubystars »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »

Judaism has answers to this question. And while we don't believe in eternal hell {except for in the cases of the completely evil} we do believe that all souls will find eternal rest in Gan Eden. One aspect of Jewish belief suggests that animals have a soul, not quite the same soul as a human being, but a lower level soul. Judaism also is totally against any torture of animals, as there are many laws regarding treating the animal with respect. One thing I think about every day is the righteousness of feeding your animals before you, yourself eat.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »
WOW!! I cannot believe the responses...... thank you very much for the words of wisdom, advice, and kindness! Reading the replies gives tremendous comfort and hope (real hope... not just "feel good" cheap talk or sophistry). Thank you again, I could never verbalize properly the extent of my appreciation.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »
Once my dog has bitten me clearly due to my own mistake. So he was shocked to see me writhing with pain. For a full week he kept his head down and shivering in front of me. At last I had to pat him and kick him many times to assure him that the things were normal. I fought with him for years rapidly kicking and jabbing him and every time he survived by his swiftness and strength. He retaliated each time with his jumps with open jaws and plunging claws which I had to block, but in his lifetime with me I never got a single scratch or sprain, actually because of his intelligence. His heart was so open because he was the Alpha. I had large interactions with mankind but evil age people were selfish and suffering from one upmanship. Only a few somewhat righteous among them had some good but rapidly receding traits, actually being good symptoms for the arrival of the Mr M.   
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.