Author Topic: Israeli Doctors Once Again do The Impossible  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
Israeli Doctors Once Again do The Impossible
« on: July 01, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »
Doctors have managed to extract eggs from 5 -year-old girls and freeze them for use when they are old enough to have children. The scientific advance, which was thought to be impossible, will enable girls suffering childhood cancers such as leukemia to become parents later in life. Thousands are left infertile each year after undergoing chemotherapy.

It also opens the possibility of storing girls’ eggs to protect them against any form of infertility in later life.

Previously it was believed the eggs of young girls were too immature to be extracted.

Israeli doctors have, however, managed to extract the eggs and then culture them in test-tubes to make them viable. The resulting eggs are no different to those of a 20-year-old girl, say the doctors.

(Source: Fox News)

"Secular Zionism is racism. Religious Zionism is Judaism."
No one who votes for Obama cares that he is a crack addict or a fag. That's the scariest thing about him. --- Bonecrkr

"When I take action, I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive."
- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Israeli Doctors Once Again do The Impossible
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 06:33:49 PM »
Wow thats a pretty big step into fertility treatment...

It is quite scary, honestly speaking.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 01:54:14 AM »
Scary?  Nonsense!  This is wonderful!  Another example of the geniuses in Israel and how the world is a better place because Israel exists.  This is an indication of the love of life that Jews in Israel have, let's just make sure we don't give this technology to the ay-rabs.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:30:40 PM »
It is scary, seeing how the world has advanced so much. When a beneficial branch of science has been opened it also leads to bad things..........this discovery will probably help other aspects of gentics in investigation and possibly even cloning.

Messing around with embryos too much never seems completely ethical.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:00:40 PM »
I feel very uneasy about fertility treatments. Things like freezing eggs, artificial insemination. This to me is dangerously close to G-d's territory. I think that couples should try to have babies at a reasonably early age. And if it doesn't work - it doesn't work. Maybe G-d has other plans for them.

I am not against medicine and doctors. It is only assisted reproduction that I mind. I cannot quite articulate why. I guess I feel it should happen spontaneously - as a miracle of a loving marriage.  :-[

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »
I feel very uneasy about fertility treatments. Things like freezing eggs, artificial insemination. This to me is dangerously close to G-d's territory. I think that couples should try to have babies at a reasonably early age. And if it doesn't work - it doesn't work. Maybe G-d has other plans for them.

I am not against medicine and doctors. It is only assisted reproduction that I mind. I cannot quite articulate why. I guess I feel it should happen spontaneously - as a miracle of a loving marriage.  :-[
No, you are right! It is an extremely controversially ethical issue and i'm sure rubbinic scholars would agree with you.

Offline shlomo122

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »
Nice!
As long as in the heart, within,
A Jewish soul is yearning,
And towards the end of the East
An eye still watches toward Zion,

Our hope is not yet lost,
The hope of two thousand years,
To be a free nation in our own land,
The land of Zion and Jerusalem.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 11:11:38 AM »
These Great Israeli Doctors are perfect examples of why Judaism is Right and why Islam and the Muslims are Wrong !
Did you know that 3 or 4 of the Muslim terrorist involved in the Glasgow,Scotland airport attack were DOCTORS!
How can anybody even begin to put Islam in the same sentence as Judaism...

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 11:31:07 AM »
Doctors have managed to extract eggs from 5 -year-old girls and freeze them for use when they are old enough to have children. The scientific advance, which was thought to be impossible, will enable girls suffering childhood cancers such as leukemia to become parents later in life. Thousands are left infertile each year after undergoing chemotherapy.

It also opens the possibility of storing girls’ eggs to protect them against any form of infertility in later life.

Previously it was believed the eggs of young girls were too immature to be extracted.

Israeli doctors have, however, managed to extract the eggs and then culture them in test-tubes to make them viable. The resulting eggs are no different to those of a 20-year-old girl, say the doctors.

It is amazing stuff. However, is it Jewishly eithical?  We need to ask the rabbis.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 01:04:07 PM »

It is amazing stuff. However, is it Jewishly eithical?  We need to ask the rabbis.

Someone should ask this in the ask JTF.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 02:41:20 PM »

Someone should ask this in the ask JTF.

Chaim might answer "I dont' know, have to ask the rabbis"  Better to ask a rabbi for the answer. Chaim's not a rabbi.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »
Why didn't he become a rabbi?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 07:01:33 PM »

that makes a good ask jtf question :)....perhaps if you haven't thought of it yet or written it yet, ask it for July 8th...ooo I like that question.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »

that makes a good ask jtf question :)....perhaps if you haven't thought of it yet or written it yet, ask it for July 8th...ooo I like that question.

I will actually, thanks.

Offline ScotcH

• Senior JTFer
  • The burden that hath befallen Man ...
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 10:44:23 AM »
Once again the Superior Minds of Israel demonstrate why they have trampled the ISLAMIC Heathens !
SUBMISSION IS DEATH !

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 11:40:25 AM »
I think that Jewish Doc's are amazing at what they have been able to achieve for many years... I happen to be a medical student doing rotations right now, and I hope to be able one day to reach similar goals.
All the best and most renowned  Md's are Jewish, but recently I've noticed many Indians coming over to America wanting a piece of the pie. Is that right? Do we really need more foreign doctors, especially Muslims here?
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!

newman

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 11:46:45 AM »
It's just staggering to read about Jewish achievment over the years. Medicine, science, engineering, electonics, agriculture..........the list is endless. Talk about a blessing unto the world.

Then we look at islam's contribution...........?......................?..................
...........?? Nothing but rape, death and misery.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
Well Congratulations Yasmine,  and good luck with the hospital rotations I know you going to see many qualified personnel around you, mmmmmhhhhhhh. It's just stagering to see what has transpired in the medical field...
I'm speaking from experience not just heresay.