Author Topic: Good Android Apps?  (Read 774 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Good Android Apps?
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »
Anybody wanna recommend any good/useful apps?

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Re: Good Android Apps?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:43:40 AM »
I don't like any android app. They are too intrusive and for no apparent reason want to know just about everything that goes on on your phone.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 04:33:22 PM »
I don't like any android app. They are too intrusive and for no apparent reason want to know just about everything that goes on on your phone.

what apps would you use?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
I have several Android devices (well mainly two which I use), a Xoom tablet and a Nexus phone...

I find several apps interesting. There are a couple of great Jewish prayerbooks (Siddurs) available for the Android. I like the
AndDaven app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.saraandshmuel.anddaaven&hl=en

Description
AndDaaven is an easy to use siddur application. It is simple out of the box, very configurable for those who want it, and tries to keep distractions away from the screen when showing tefillot.
* Nusach Ashkenaz
* Includes Megillat Esther
* Hebrew fonts included
* Action Bar-style interface on Honeycomb/Ice Cream Sandwich platforms
* Optional full screen mode
* Trackball/d-pad can be used to scroll normally, as page-up/page-down, and by section.
* Volume up/down can be optionally used to scroll by page-up/page-down or by section.
* Screen taps can be optionally used to scroll by page-up/page-down and by section.
* Many other options (night mode, keep screen on)

A great reference for blessings Brachos:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brochos.app&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5icm9jaG9zLmFwcCJd

Description
Note: This is only the second beta version of our app. There are some features we're still ironing out: we will be releasing updates in the coming weeks.
This is the official Brochos.com (Jewish Blessings) app for Android. Features include:
* Fully searchable database of Brachos information (you can even search by voice!)
* Browse, and explore various items: alphabetically, categorically, by popularity, and randomly.
* Based on the ever-expanding database at Brochos.com
* Did we mention it's free?
* More coming soon: including offline access for all Brachot texts.

If you think of a feature you would like to see implemented, please contact us.
To get more food added to the database, use the "Send Request" feature on the app's dashboard.

Note: This app requires internet access to run. We may be adding offline support in the future.
Berachos is the hebrew-transliterated word for ברכות.

A great Tehillim/Psalms app :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=il.avimak.Tehillim&hl=en

Description
Full and free scanned Tehillim (Ohel Yosef Yitzchak).

- One click for today's (day in month/week) chapters
- Get specific chapter
- Get specific day in month chapters
- Get even random chapter
- On Elul, daily 3 Prakim
- Create a private chapters list (chapters of your family, etc.)
- Segulot chapters
- Yahrtzeit Tehillim
- New! zoom option is now available
* Permissions are now requested due of the new settings section

Good Hebrew Calender app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vario.logic&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS52YXJpby5sb2dpYyJd

Description
The Hebrew Cal app is a must app in every Android.
No other app let you know the exact praying times, Jerusalem & Babylonian "Daf Yomi", holidays and high days according to your location in the world.
Also the application allows you to convert any Gregorian date to Jewish date and vice versa.
Key features:
- Date convertor
- Prying times by location
- Jewish calendar
- Gregorian calendar
- Jerusalem & Babylonian "Daf Yomi"
- Multi language – English & Hebrew

I occasionally need to use my phone as a Flashlight, this app is great, providing a great amount of light...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=goldenshorestechnologies.brightestflashlight.free&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImdvbGRlbnNob3Jlc3RlY2hub2xvZ2llcy5icmlnaHRlc3RmbGFzaGxpZ2h0LmZyZWUiXQ..

Description
Brightest Flashlight Free - Turns on all available lights.
Brightest Flashlight App – Free of Charge
* Turns on all available lights on the device
* Camera Flash LED at Maximum
* Screen at Bright Maximum
* Keyboard Backlight at Maximum
* Soft Keys Backlight at Maximum
* Notification LED at Maximum
* Automatic Timer Exits Application after 2 Minutes
* Audio Effects on Start and Stop
* Unobtrusive Ads
* Please contact the support email for reporting bugs or problems so we can fix them as quickly as possible
* Best Flashlight App for dark conditions, natural LED color provides great contrast
5 Star Review: If you want a bright flashlight, LED flashlight that is the coolest flashlight app with the maximum flashlight output and best flashlight sounds, this is the flashlight for you! Brightest Flashlight Free.

There are more , I hope to post soon..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »

what apps would you use?

When I got most apps on my phone they asked for less information. Now they all ask things I don't want to give permission for.
I don't use most of the apps I have on my phone. The ones I used most were like dailey abs exercises and some daily simplified yoga exercises for the back/abs. They made me feel good when I did them.