Author Topic: PURIM AND THE NEW REFORM JUDAISM  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
PURIM AND THE NEW REFORM JUDAISM
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »

by Asher Keren

I really do not like what Purim has become, pagan mask parties, people getting drunk to no end and my ear drums exploding every time the evil Haman is mentioned during the reading of the Megilat Ester. So I, as do many others, try as hard as possible to stay focused. When someone greets me with a "Purim Sameach", I simply answer as follows: "Purim Sameach to you as well, and may God protect us from our enemies and may we and God together destroy all of our enemies, all of the modern day Amalek!".

Seems to me a reasonable enough response, but more and more the following refrain is thrown back: "First, we must destroy the Amalek within each and every one of us "(funny, I always thought we were the Children of Israel, the exact opposite of Amalek) and then comes the gematria game: "as you know, Amalek and doubt ('safek') are the same number in gematria". I just smile as I do after eating a full plate of cholent, knowing that this too will pass.

Yesterday I read how the venerable rabbi of Tekoa, Menachem Fruman, wrote that there is more than one way to skin a tiger, or an Amalekite, that is; one need not kill him, one need only to cause him to change his colors, give him some flowers, some chocolate, explain to him the evil of his ways and presto chango, we have destroyed his Amalekite tendencies and thus fulfilled the deeper Mitzvah within. After all, as it is shown in the Talmud, even some of the ancestry of the Amalekites ended up as Jews studying in the Beit Midrash.

Nice in theory, Menahem Fruman, but personally I do not plan to wait around until Ahmadinejad sees the light. I expect he will try to turn out the lights on us first. (Besides, oh spiritual Fruman the magic man, wouldn't the sainted Abraham Abulafia – yes, that's right, the one that tried to convert the Pope and almost got butchered in the process – tell you that the name Haman is contained in the name Ahmadinejad - go mediate on that for a few moments!)

At any rate, and to the point, well, you get the point. Purim is about being saved and about destroying the enemy. Very spiritual, but also very physical; just as are the commandments of the Torah. It is actually the Reform branch of Judaism that always tries to run away from the physical performance of the commandments by emphasizing the "deeper meaning", where still applicable, and thereby providing the perfect excuse for not taking the commandments literally. Further, as the first Reformer Abraham Geiger stressed, the nationalistic elements of Judaism should be suppressed and give way to the universal tendencies of the tradition. This latter "theology" is what we see when we take the concept of Amalek and channel it into our own selves and further, try to stress the destruction of the Amalekite ideology over that of the Amalekite people.

This is what Orthodox Judaism today is becoming; a "kosher" version of Reform Judaism. Obviously, the search for spirituality in the performance of the physical is an entirely legitimate branch of traditional Jewish experience and thought – but when this tendency sublimates the commandment to the spiritual realm solely, well, let's just say that the Sabbatean Geiger is probably now smiling from his grave, thinking "Purim Sameach", no doubt. As each generation is confronted by its Hitlers, Chmelnikis, Ahmadinejads , Nassers or whomever, let's praise the Israel Defense Forces and pray that they and their soldiers are up to the task of confronting Amalek, the physical Amalek; unless, of course, Menachem Fruman has a breakthrough very quickly.

http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/component/content/article/34-featured/581-some-post-purim-musings
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: PURIM AND THE NEW REFORM JUDAISM
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »
Whoever writes this stuff has a big problem. They don't like Jews to be happy. So this person must be an anti-Talmudist because the concept of becoming happy in Adar is from the Talmud. And so is the concept of Masks, and the idea of drowning out the name of Haman, and so is drinking on Purim. So this guy is an apikoris in my opinion.

I attended a Purim party the type of which this so-called talmid chocham despises and I have no problem admitting it. I enjoyed myself, I drank and ate, and we discussed what must be done to save the Jewish people from todays Hamans. We were not waiting around for someone else to take action. Those Jews who I come in contact with almost uniformly agree that Obama is an anti-Israel president and we will all do what we can to protect Israel from his wicked plans.

But this machonshilo site seems to prosper on Lashon Hara against righteous Jews... And I rebuke them for  that.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »
Also what does the writer of this piece suggest we learn from Purim? What action did the Jewish people take? Did they pre-emtpively strike against the King? Did they assasinate Haman? They did sincere repentance and fasted and made changes to themselves, which invoked the divine forgiveness and set into motion the ability to reverse the decree. That is the true message of Purim. Thus it is correct to say that we need to perfect ourselves in order to change the world. There is nothing wrong about saying this. Those who are too perfect to admit it have the real problem.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »
In Talmud Megillah 7b Rava states:

Rava said: A person is obligated to drink on Purim until he does not know the difference between "cursed be Haman" and "blessed be Mordechai"

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/article_cdo/aid/2814/jewish/The-Purim-Drunk.htm

Many of the greatest Halachists follow Rava’s ruling. Maimonides writes: "What is the obligation of the [Purim] feast? That one should eat meat ... and drink wine until he is drunk and falls asleep from drunkenness" (Mishneh Torah, Laws of Megillah, 2:15). The Rif, Rosh, Tur and Shulchan Aruch all cite Rava’s dictum without any qualification. The Rama, on the other hand, comments that "There are others who say that one need not become that drunk, but rather that one should drink more than is one’s custom." The Rama concludes: "Whether one drinks more or drinks less, the main thing is that his intention is for the sake of Heaven."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
Then there is the story of the two Rabbis who drank and one killed the other...

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books/beacons-on-the-talmud-sea/15.htm

Understanding Our Sages' Conduct
Our Sages state:[1] "A person is obligated to become intoxicated on Purim to the extent that he does not know the difference between 'Cursed is Haman' and 'Blessed is Mordechai.'" To cite an example, the Talmud continues, relating:

Rabbah and Rav Zeira celebrated the Purim feast together. They became intoxicated. Rabbah stood up and slew Rav Zeira. On the morrow, he prayed for mercy and brought him back to life.

The following year, [Rabbah] again invited [Rav Zeira] to celebrate the feast together. Rav Zeira answered him: "A miracle does not happen every moment."

The story begs explanation.[2] How is it possible that one of the Talmud's leading Sages performed an act that - were it not for a miracle - would have resulted in a colleague's death?[3]

The Maharsha[4] indeed tries to explain that Rabbah did not actually slay Rav Zeira. Instead, he compelled him to drink extensively until he became sick and was at the brink of death. This interpretation, however, does not fit the simple meaning of the text which speaks of Rav Zeira being slain and then "brought back to life." Moreover, even such conduct, compelling a person to drink to the point that his life is in danger, is not appropriate for a Torah sage.

There is another element of the story which is also problematic: Rabbah's invitation to Rav Zeira to repeat the feast the following year. The Talmud does not tell us that Rabbah repented; quite the contrary, it explains that he was prepared to share a Purim feast with Rav Zeira again despite the possibility of a recurrence of the events of the previous year.

And what is equally amazing is Rav Zeira's answer. He did not refuse Rabbah's invitation categorically. Instead, he told him: "A miracle does not happen every moment," implying that he would like to accept Rabbah's offer, but could not because he was not sure that the miracle would repeat itself.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »
Regarding the custom to wear costumes there is this explanation:

http://www.globalyeshiva.com/profiles/blogs/purim-5771

Double Indentity

The Jewish people also donned a “mask” throughout the Purim story. The Talmud explains that Haman was given the power to destroy the Jewish people as a punishment for the Jews’ attendance at Achashverosh’s feast. Even though, according to many opinions, the food at the feast was 100% kosher and no halachot were broken, the Jews were guilty of trying to hide their Jewish identity and blend in with the gentiles In order to repent, Esther asked them to fast for three days in order to “remove the food of Achashverosh’s party” from themselves and stop hiding their true identity.

The Power in Purim

The rabbis instruct us that on Purim, “Kol haposhet yad notnim lo – anyone who outstretches his hand, we give him”. Simply speaking, this refers to giving charity on this day, but these words have a secondary message as well – anyone who asks from Heaven on Purim will be answered. The word Kol (“everyone”) –includes even someone who appears before us whose status as a poor man may be questionable. Similarly, even if our outer self might sometimes contradict our inner self, G-d still accepts us and will answer our prayers even more on Purim than He usually does.

See also : http://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/article_cdo/aid/1456808/jewish/Why-Do-We-Dress-Up-on-Purim.htm

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »
In my own community I have witnessed more Jews becoming more Nationalistic and supportive of the Jewish state... I cannot agree with what this article says, thus I am offended by it..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »
Regarding how much to drink there is much written. All sages say that Purim is not an excuse to get 'DRUNK' but there should be some wine involved with the Seudah/Feast...

http://www.koltorah.org/ravj/purimdrinking.htm

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »
Whoever writes this stuff has a big problem. They don't like Jews to be happy. So this person must be an anti-Talmudist because the concept of becoming happy in Adar is from the Talmud. And so is the concept of Masks, and the idea of drowning out the name of Haman, and so is drinking on Purim. So this guy is an apikoris in my opinion.

But this machonshilo site seems to prosper on Lashon Hara against righteous Jews... And I rebuke them for  that.

I love the way you first make blanket accusations and then do the same exact thing you are accusing the author of doing!

Everything in your statements quoted above are dead wrong!
1- Where did he say he doesn't like Jews to be happy?
2- Anti-Talmudist? Really???? Machonshilo and those associated with it are doing the exact opposite- use the Talmudh and the Rishonim (Chazal)  to decide and establish the correct Halacha.
3-Masks are not from the Talmud (bring me the source if not case closed!)
4-Drinking on Purim is a big topic. The point of the essay is that we are missing the point in destroying Amalik.
* Warning* for the intellectually honest!
http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/list-audio-shiurim/41-audiohalakha/269-purim-dont-get-drunk
5- Not going to continue.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
By the way for those interested- this guy is also an author and today I ordered his book ( read some of it online and the topics are very interesting.) Based on Ecclesiastes (By king Shlomo)
  Search at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Change-Asher-Keren/dp/9652293547
 (or other places) for
Asher Keren-  A Time For Change

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 08:11:40 PM »
Virtually every article which you publish from that site seems to take the opinion that everyone else is wrong about Halacha and the Rabbi there is right. The fact of the matter is that there are many great sages who disagree with this rabbi....

The commandment for destroying Amalek has many dimensions. Nobody I have heard has diminished the fact that we are facing a real-live Amalek today. I have on a video I took from our Purim party our Rabbi giving a speech on the topic of Iran and the current Amalek we are facing. This doesn't take away from the concept that Amalek is also the Yetzer Hara... I have heard many Rabbis point to this Gematria, yet your Rabbi mocks it...

I fail to see what this Rabbi is trying to achieve but to create divisions between Orthodox religious Jews...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
One of the reasons which the gematria of Amalek is 240, which is the same gematria of the word Safek/Doubt is explained by the great Torah sage Rashi... I am sure most are familiar with this concept of Amalek 'Cooling off' the Jewish people...

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books/days-of-destiny/17.htm

"Cooling Off" The Jews
The Torah describes Amalek's attack as taking place "on the way as you came out of Egypt...when he met you on the way and cut down all the weak who struggled behind you."[14] "He met you" in the holy tongue is "korcha," which derives from the root "kar," meaning "cool." Amalek's real sin was that "he cooled you off on the way."

G-d had shown tremendous miracles in Egypt and at the splitting of the sea. The surrounding nations were in awe and fear of the Jews, whose G-d had thus demonstrated His overwhelming love and protection of them.

Then came Amalek. In the words of Rashi:[15] "Amalek cooled you off and made you lukewarm after your boiling heat. All the nations feared to engage in battle with you, but he came and made a start - and thereby showed the way to others. It may be likened to a boiling bath into which no creature is able to descend. Then came a reprobate who sprang into it; even though he was burned, he cooled it off for others."

No nation thought to interfere with the children of Israel after the great miracles vouchsafed them. Amalek alone dared. Although he was severely defeated he had made the first crack in Israel's armor. From then on, other nations would not be so hesitant. Amalek had cooled off the fiery flame of the Jews in the eyes of the nations.

That is why Amalek is so scorned, why he has earned the enmity of G-d and His people for all generations. He is the source of all subsequent troubles for the Jews, and the evil he perpetrated then lingers on - until the very existence and name of Amalek will be obliterated from the face of the earth.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »
Virtually every article which you publish from that site seems to take the opinion that everyone else is wrong about Halacha and the Rabbi there is right. The fact of the matter is that there are many great sages who disagree with this rabbi....

Which sages and what specifically do they disagree with? Bring the case and argue it.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Sun Tzu, The Art of War and the Jews of Yesha
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 07:10:58 PM »
Bump for first article (in time for Purim)

Also check this article out by the same author.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War and the Jews of Yesha

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/11611#.USFkj6UiGWE

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 01:35:15 AM »

by Asher Keren

I really do not like what Purim has become, pagan mask parties, people getting drunk to no end and my ear drums exploding every time the evil Haman is mentioned during the reading of the Megilat Ester. So I, as do many others, try as hard as possible to stay focused. When someone greets me with a "Purim Sameach", I simply answer as follows: "Purim Sameach to you as well, and may God protect us from our enemies and may we and God together destroy all of our enemies, all of the modern day Amalek!".

Seems to me a reasonable enough response, but more and more the following refrain is thrown back: "First, we must destroy the Amalek within each and every one of us "(funny, I always thought we were the Children of Israel, the exact opposite of Amalek) and then comes the gematria game: "as you know, Amalek and doubt ('safek') are the same number in gematria". I just smile as I do after eating a full plate of cholent, knowing that this too will pass.

Yesterday I read how the venerable rabbi of Tekoa, Menachem Fruman, wrote that there is more than one way to skin a tiger, or an Amalekite, that is; one need not kill him, one need only to cause him to change his colors, give him some flowers, some chocolate, explain to him the evil of his ways and presto chango, we have destroyed his Amalekite tendencies and thus fulfilled the deeper Mitzvah within. After all, as it is shown in the Talmud, even some of the ancestry of the Amalekites ended up as Jews studying in the Beit Midrash.

Nice in theory, Menahem Fruman, but personally I do not plan to wait around until Ahmadinejad sees the light. I expect he will try to turn out the lights on us first. (Besides, oh spiritual Fruman the magic man, wouldn't the sainted Abraham Abulafia – yes, that's right, the one that tried to convert the Pope and almost got butchered in the process – tell you that the name Haman is contained in the name Ahmadinejad - go mediate on that for a few moments!)

At any rate, and to the point, well, you get the point. Purim is about being saved and about destroying the enemy. Very spiritual, but also very physical; just as are the commandments of the Torah. It is actually the Reform branch of Judaism that always tries to run away from the physical performance of the commandments by emphasizing the "deeper meaning", where still applicable, and thereby providing the perfect excuse for not taking the commandments literally. Further, as the first Reformer Abraham Geiger stressed, the nationalistic elements of Judaism should be suppressed and give way to the universal tendencies of the tradition. This latter "theology" is what we see when we take the concept of Amalek and channel it into our own selves and further, try to stress the destruction of the Amalekite ideology over that of the Amalekite people.

This is what Orthodox Judaism today is becoming; a "kosher" version of Reform Judaism. Obviously, the search for spirituality in the performance of the physical is an entirely legitimate branch of traditional Jewish experience and thought – but when this tendency sublimates the commandment to the spiritual realm solely, well, let's just say that the Sabbatean Geiger is probably now smiling from his grave, thinking "Purim Sameach", no doubt. As each generation is confronted by its Hitlers, Chmelnikis, Ahmadinejads , Nassers or whomever, let's praise the Israel Defense Forces and pray that they and their soldiers are up to the task of confronting Amalek, the physical Amalek; unless, of course, Menachem Fruman has a breakthrough very quickly.

http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/component/content/article/34-featured/581-some-post-purim-musings

Great article.  Keren brings up some very interesting points.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 01:36:44 AM »
In my own community I have witnessed more Jews becoming more Nationalistic and supportive of the Jewish state... I cannot agree with what this article says, thus I am offended by it..

Huh?

What you wrote in your first sentence is not mutually exclusive with what is written in the article so I don't see why you should be offended.  You need to get out more and see what goes on in other Jewish communities besides your own small group.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 01:43:10 AM »

LOL, are you rushing to the defense of Menachem Froman, a man who expresses his love for the PLO and its chairmen as well as Hamas?   :o

I think I need my stomach pumped.

There was no lashon hara in this article that I saw.   Care to point out a specific example of lashon hara?   Are you concerned about Geiger the great destroyer of Judaism?    I'm shocked, shocked, shocked! that you are making a false accusation against machon Shilo again.  Just shocked!

And I rebuke them for  that.

You mean you contacted them and gave words of rebuke with a chance for them to reply to you?

Or you are just categorically stating here that you are an "enemy" of machon shilo using a strange turn of phrase to express that?  ("I rebuke them" implies that you actively do something to rebuke them - it doesn't work as a standalone phrase to express "I disapprove of them or what they do")

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 02:22:07 AM »
LOL, are you rushing to the defense of Menachem Froman, a man who expresses his love for the PLO and its chairmen as well as Hamas?   :o

I think I need my stomach pumped.

There was no lashon hara in this article that I saw.   Care to point out a specific example of lashon hara?   Are you concerned about Geiger the great destroyer of Judaism?    I'm shocked, shocked, shocked! that you are making a false accusation against machon Shilo again.  Just shocked!

You mean you contacted them and gave words of rebuke with a chance for them to reply to you?

Or you are just categorically stating here that you are an "enemy" of machon shilo using a strange turn of phrase to express that?  ("I rebuke them" implies that you actively do something to rebuke them - it doesn't work as a standalone phrase to express "I disapprove of them or what they do")

No I am no enemy of any Jew, nor any Rabbi. You are making some accusations against me.

I do rebuke the method which I felt was being employed. For a Rabbi to constantly have to say that his opinions are the only right ones and all the other Rabbis are making 'stringent chumrot' only to give themselves more power, or whatever reason he wants to, is a little much. I do not appreciate that style of teaching because it seems arrogant and derogatory against other Jews beliefs.

The post you quoted was from March 12, 2012 last year. And much has changed in that amount of time. I do not feel like that about those Rabbis as I have come to appreciate other views, whether I agree with them or not. There most certainly is something to learn from all Rabbis, and even all people.

I think you, KWRBT, need to relax a little. You seem to always take things too seriously and assume that I am saying things against you, which I have no intention of doing.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 02:31:53 AM »
From the very beginning of the original post the writer seems to have a 'chip on his shoulder' knocking several Torah teachings. These teachings are not from the 'reform' branch of Judaism and several of them are concepts from the Talmud.

There is a concept that Amalek is doubt, and this is a significant teaching. So too the gematria and so too the fact that 'Blessed is Mordechai' and 'Cursed is Haman' have the same gematria.

If these teachings are not interesting to a person and they want to bring some new insight into the Purim story, they are free to introduce those ideas. Do they need to knock these teachings? I certainly do not think so...

And my primary belief is that by conquering the 'Amalek' within we will be able, with Hashems help, to defeat any enemy with no hesitation. When we know Hashem is with us, and the 'doubt' which the Amalek in our society has introduced is vanquished, we and Hashem will be victorious in every endeavor we undertake.

My Judaism is rooted in both deep spirituality, through prayer and meditation, and through mitzvot, actions which remind me of my service to our G-d. To me there is no Amalek because I do not doubt that Hashem can bring about miracles, and I have faith that there is a Yiddishe Neshama in the world, a Jewish soul which cannot be destroyed.

I am sorry if my approach does not meet with your approval. But my approach has worked well for me so far, so I must ask your understanding.