Author Topic: Housewife and hairdresser jailed for spending night together  (Read 956 times)

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
Housewife and hairdresser jailed for spending night together
« on: March 28, 2013, 06:09:33 PM »
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime/housewife-and-hairdresser-jailed-for-spending-night-together-1.1164083

Dubai: A housewife and her hairdresser were sentenced for seven months in jail for staying the night at the woman’s flat and consuming liquor.

The Dubai Misdemeanor Court convicted the 28-year-old woman and the 33-year-old Lebanese man of motivating each other to commit a sin by spending the night under one roof without being related.
Prosecutors had charged the defendants with having consensual sex and drinking alcohol.

However, presiding judge Mohammad Aayyad modified the charge from having consensual sex to encouragement to commit a sin and handed them a six-month prison. They were also sentenced to one month in jail for having liquor.

“The accused will be deported following the completion of their punishments,” said Aayyad in courtroom 11 on Thursday.

The woman’s Jordanian husband claimed that he spotted the Lebanese man in his underwear in bed with his wife around 6.30am.

The defendants had denied hugging and having extramarital sex or indulging in any sexual activity.
After the court modified the accusation, the defendants admitted that the Lebanese spent the night at the woman’s flat but again denied that they had sex.

The man claimed that the woman invited him to stay over because she was sick.

Defence lawyers provided the court with a written waiver from the husband, who said he did not want to ruin his marriage and that he had reconciled with his wife.

Records said the husband has two wives and that he was shocked when he walked in on the defendants sleeping in his marital bed.

“I was shocked and shouted at them,” said the husband. “I hit my wife and the stranger. They pulled away the phone from my hand when I tried to call the police.”

Records said the husband dragged a knife from the kitchen and rushed back to the bedroom where he believed the suspects had sex.

“I did not use the knife,” the husband said. “I beat my wife with my arms and kicked her. I was extremely aggravated, and then the stranger begged me not to report him to the police. Meanwhile, my wife ran away. My wife’s Indian workmate told me that the stranger worked as a coiffeur in the same building of their company.”
The wife testified that she became friends with the hairdresser because she used to be his client. The woman also admitted that they went out to coffee shops and restaurants, watched movies and he visited her in her flat several times.

Defence lawyers contended before the court that their clients did not have any criminal intention.
Thursday’s judgement read: “The couple should not have stayed together under one roof or in the same bedroom. The defendants were not related or married... and the woman is married. The court believes that the defendants committed an act that could have stimulated them to commit a sin. The housewife admitted that she hosted the Lebanese five times at her place while her husband was away. They also admitted staying in the same room and consumed liquor as well.”

Court records said the husband pardoned his wife and wanted to save his marriage.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
Re: Housewife and hairdresser jailed for spending night together
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
This is what the 'modern' and 'beautifull' Dubai looks like these days!
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »
What are you suggesting? That a married woman spend the night with a man who is not her husband?

While today we do not enforce it, there is a Jewish principle where a married woman is not allowed to be in a place where her husband cannot access (called Yichud). I think if a woman is married she had better not be messing around with other men.

If the laws of Yichud were followed we would have a lot less divorce and less marital problems.

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books/the-laws-of-yichud/08.htm

http://halachafortoday.com/archives-2/archives-hilchos-yichud/

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »
But why didn't they added 128 lashes to their sentences ?!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
But why didn't they added 128 lashes to their sentences ?!

Is that how many they deserve?

According to Jewish law (when enforced) the maximum a man could be given was 39 lashes.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »
If a man sleeps with a married woman, knowing that she is married, death is justifiable, beings it goes against one of the main Commandments. A good beating otherwise...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:37:46 PM »
If a man sleeps with a married woman, knowing that she is married, death is justifiable, beings it goes against one of the main Commandments. A good beating otherwise...

I tend to agree with you that marriage is an institution which should not be messed with. Fidelity between man and woman, as the Torah proscribes, is comparable to fidelity between man and Hashem.

This is one lesson learned by the fact that the Ten Commandments are divided into two tablets, one containing laws regarding the relation of Man to G-d, and the second containing commands related to relations between man and man... It is learned that each commandment has a corresponding commandment on the other tablet.

Thus the commandment against IDOLATRY is parallel to the commandment of ADULTERY... Thus we learn that to Hashem the act of ADULTERY is EQUAL TO the act of IDOLATRY, or infidelity to Hashem...

http://www.shortvort.com/vaeschanan-parasha/11141-idolatry-a-adultery

Our sedra sees the repetition of the ten commandments. These comprised of two tablets, each with five commandments on. These two sets of five pair up with each other; each with its adjacent commandment on the opposite tablet, as the kli yakar (shemos 20;13) explains. For example, the first commandment ‘I am HaShem’ corresponds to the first of the second tablet ‘you shall not murder,’ for the gravity and seriousness of murder of a human is sourced in the fact that a human has a spark of HaShem within them (see Avos 3;18); there is no such death penalty for the killing of an animal. Thus, murdering the person ‘removes’ that Divine spark from the world. Furthermore, keeping shabbes (#4) corresponds to its adjacent commandment on the other tablet not bearing false witness (#9), for when one keeps Shabbes he is bearing witness to HaShem having created the world, and breaking Shabbes is the corruption of such witness. See the kli yakar in full for how he explains all the pairings. We shall focus on one of those pairs, namely the prohibition against idolatry (#2) and on adultery (#7). What do idolatry and adultery have in common (other than that they sound similar in English) that they should be paired together?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »
I don't agree with the concept of a husband being allowed to beat his wife. Judaism I don't believe ever had such laws (allowing the husband to beat the wife)... But he certainly could get a Get/Divorce from her for just being suspicious of her actions (suspected infidelity)...

Thus I don't condone the entire Marriage relationship as I understand it from islam.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »
I don't agree with the concept of a husband being allowed to beat his wife. Judaism I don't believe ever had such laws (allowing the husband to beat the wife)... But he certainly could get a Get/Divorce from her for just being suspicious of her actions (suspected infidelity)...

Thus I don't condone the entire Marriage relationship as I understand it from islam.
I was talking about the man being punished, not the woman...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:41:43 PM »
Wouldn't they be given the death penalty for violating the Noahide Law against sexual immorality which includes adultery?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 12:53:14 AM »
Wouldn't they be given the death penalty for violating the Noahide Law against sexual immorality which includes adultery?

Shalom Binyamin,

I don't know exactly, I am only making a guess. But according to the article it appears that there were not witnesses that any adultery actually occurred. As a result I do not think that the death penalty would apply. In Jewish law it would require at least 2 witnesses who qualify to be witnesses.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 12:59:48 AM »
Is that how many they deserve?

According to Jewish law (when enforced) the maximum a man could be given was 39 lashes.

Dubai is not Jewish.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 01:15:13 AM »
Dubai is not Jewish.

Thank you for clarifying that ;)

I knew it... I am only bringing up Jewish law to compare and contrast...