Author Topic: Mikveh ritual  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Mikveh ritual
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »
Just to not unlock an old thread to answer cjd.

Yes men also use the mikveh. I even have a few times.

However I have observed that women go more frequently than men almost on a monthly basis.

But just so that you realize both genders use it.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Mikveh ritual
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
Why you be deleting my b'peh thread?  You could have at least sent me my post back!  The thread may be over, but the feelings left over from it are not

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
My apologies Dr. Dan, you didn't delete it at all, but added it to the old thread.  I think a lot of things were said in that thread that I would have not expected by some of our members

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
Just to not unlock an old thread to answer cjd.

Yes men also use the mikveh. I even have a few times.

However I have observed that women go more frequently than men almost on a monthly basis.

But just so that you realize both genders use it.

Women MUST go it is Deorita, for men it is more complicated. For example when going to the Temple Mt. is is required, some say when going to Israel from Hutz Laaretz as well. Their is the decree of Ezra the Scribe for men to go, but it wasn't officially accepted soo many men don't go. Others (and thats depending on community) do go. While others go before holidays. Some also hold that since it is Derabanan just having a regular shower for some time (having water poured overoneself) is good as well. This is only for men, women on the other hand must go and their level is a direct Torah command.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »
As I said in the other thread, this Shabbat the Torah portion we read discusses the commandment of Mikveh...

Concerning the issue of 'Family Purity' the woman is required to go to the mikveh after he menstral period ends, until then the husband is prohibited from intimate relations with her.

http://www.aish.com/tp/b/app/48951416.html

Metzora(Leviticus 14-15)
All About the Mikveh

A few years ago, my wife was teaching about Taharat Hamishpacha, the laws of family purity, at the Solomon Schechter school in Cleveland. In the weeks before her class, rabbis of various denominations in the city had encouraged their congregants to attend the session, noting that family purity was a major part of Jewish tradition.

One student shared her own beautiful personal tradition, which illustrated how the family purity laws can renew a marriage. The woman reported that upon her return from the Mikveh each month, her husband would lovingly place the wedding band back upon her finger and say appropriate words to his "bride."

The observance of Taharat Hamishpacha has been a central feature of Jewish life for millennia. One finds Mikvehs in medieval Spain, in ancient Italy and in the famed desert outpost of Masada. In fact the single most decisive element archaeologists use in determining whether or not an unearthed settlement is Jewish is the presence of a Mikveh. This is consonant with Halacha (Jewish law) which mandates that even before the town synagogue is built, a Mikveh must first be established.

The source of the laws of Mikveh and family purity is found in this week's Torah portion. The Torah commands that when a woman has a menstrual flow, she and her husband must stay apart from one another. During this period she is "tameh," a Hebrew term that has been incorrectly translated as "unclean."

In point of fact, the word tameh has nothing to do with uncleanness. When one is tameh it means that a person has had some contact with death. In the instance of a menstruating woman, it is the death of the ovum. Similarly, when a man has had physical relations (which inevitably involve the death of millions of sperm), he too is tameh. Implicit in this Biblical tradition is a great sensitivity and awareness of the natural life cycle.

After a week has passed since the cessation of the woman's menstrual flow, the woman goes to the Mikveh where she undergoes a "spiritual rebirth." Various aspects of the Mikveh experience reinforce this notion of rebirth. The Mikveh itself must have 40 seah (a Torah measurement) of water, the number 40 alluding to the 40th day after conception when the soul of a child enters the embryo.The woman must have no ornaments or barriers between herself and the water, for her emerging from the Mikveh is like that of the newborn leaving the waters of the womb.

Why the separation between husband and wife? The Talmud explains that during this period of abstinence, their longing for one another increases. The wisdom of this Talmudic observation has been borne out by psychological and physiological studies, as well as the testimony of its adherents. Many men and women declare that because they observe this practice, they feel as if each month is another honeymoon.

Still others report that abstaining from physical relations intermittently strengthens the relationship, since the husband and wife must relate on an emotional level independent of any issues of physicality.

The Jewish People have traditionally been known for the strength of their families. It is the observance of Taharat Hamishpacha, perhaps more than any other factor, that lies behind this strength.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
As I said in the other thread, this Shabbat the Torah portion we read discusses the commandment of Mikveh...

Concerning the issue of 'Family Purity' the woman is required to go to the mikveh after he menstral period ends, until then the husband is prohibited from intimate relations with her.

http://www.aish.com/tp/b/app/48951416.html

Metzora(Leviticus 14-15)
All About the Mikveh

A few years ago, my wife was teaching about Taharat Hamishpacha, the laws of family purity, at the Solomon Schechter school in Cleveland. In the weeks before her class, rabbis of various denominations in the city had encouraged their congregants to attend the session, noting that family purity was a major part of Jewish tradition.

One student shared her own beautiful personal tradition, which illustrated how the family purity laws can renew a marriage. The woman reported that upon her return from the Mikveh each month, her husband would lovingly place the wedding band back upon her finger and say appropriate words to his "bride."

The observance of Taharat Hamishpacha has been a central feature of Jewish life for millennia. One finds Mikvehs in medieval Spain, in ancient Italy and in the famed desert outpost of Masada. In fact the single most decisive element archaeologists use in determining whether or not an unearthed settlement is Jewish is the presence of a Mikveh. This is consonant with Halacha (Jewish law) which mandates that even before the town synagogue is built, a Mikveh must first be established.

The source of the laws of Mikveh and family purity is found in this week's Torah portion. The Torah commands that when a woman has a menstrual flow, she and her husband must stay apart from one another. During this period she is "tameh," a Hebrew term that has been incorrectly translated as "unclean."

In point of fact, the word tameh has nothing to do with uncleanness. When one is tameh it means that a person has had some contact with death. In the instance of a menstruating woman, it is the death of the ovum. Similarly, when a man has had physical relations (which inevitably involve the death of millions of sperm), he too is tameh. Implicit in this Biblical tradition is a great sensitivity and awareness of the natural life cycle.

After a week has passed since the cessation of the woman's menstrual flow, the woman goes to the Mikveh where she undergoes a "spiritual rebirth." Various aspects of the Mikveh experience reinforce this notion of rebirth. The Mikveh itself must have 40 seah (a Torah measurement) of water, the number 40 alluding to the 40th day after conception when the soul of a child enters the embryo.The woman must have no ornaments or barriers between herself and the water, for her emerging from the Mikveh is like that of the newborn leaving the waters of the womb.

Why the separation between husband and wife? The Talmud explains that during this period of abstinence, their longing for one another increases. The wisdom of this Talmudic observation has been borne out by psychological and physiological studies, as well as the testimony of its adherents. Many men and women declare that because they observe this practice, they feel as if each month is another honeymoon.

Still others report that abstaining from physical relations intermittently strengthens the relationship, since the husband and wife must relate on an emotional level independent of any issues of physicality.

The Jewish People have traditionally been known for the strength of their families. It is the observance of Taharat Hamishpacha, perhaps more than any other factor, that lies behind this strength.

How does the b'peh mohel not imbibe blood??

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »
I believe he spits it out... But I can check into it if you like..

Here is a good discussion which falls on the side of recommending against using oral method of Metzitzah... But it discusses the reasons that some poskim don't accept it...

http://www.jewishideas.org/articles/metzitzah-bpeh-oral-law

See also:

http://www.cross-currents.com/archives/2012/10/19/metzitzah-and-the-halachic-process/
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 06:29:27 PM »
I believe he spits it out... But I can check into it if you like..

I'm sending you a PM.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »
How does the b'peh mohel not imbibe blood??

I thought that discussion was over? I do not understand. It went on for 9 pages, towards the end some other religious practices of others were brought up and then the thread was locked. NOW you are reopening it up here?
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
I thought that discussion was over? I do not understand. It went on for 9 pages, towards the end some other religious practices of others were brought up and then the thread was locked. NOW you are reopening it up here?

Please see my last comments on the original thread and feel free to PM me

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
Please see my last comments on the original thread and feel free to PM me

I dont want to waste more time on it.