Author Topic: Ohio Amish beard-cutting ringleader gets 15 years  (Read 963 times)

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Ohio Amish beard-cutting ringleader gets 15 years
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/08/amish-beard-cutting/1902757/

[press link for video]

Five beard- and hair cutting attacks on nine victims took place in 2011.

CLEVELAND — A judge sentenced the leader of a breakaway Amish sect to 15 years prison Friday in connection with beard and hair-cutting attacks on fellow Amish.

Sam Mullet Sr. and 15 members of his extended family were convicted of conspiracy in some manner in the 2011 attacks on fellow Amish in eastern and northeastern Ohio with whom they had religious differences.

"You deserve the longest and harshest sentence," U.S. District Judge Dan Aaron Polster said to Mullet before his sentencing. "Sadly, I consider you are a danger to the community."

Samuel Mullet, the ringleader of the hair- and beard-cutting attacks, will serve 15 years in federal prison.

The focus of the trial centered on Mullet, leader of a breakaway Amish sect in Bergholz, Ohio, where about 20 Amish families live on his 880-acre farm. The community is about 100 miles southeast of Cleveland near the West Virginia border.

"I am being blamed for being a cult leader," Mullet said Friday. "If somebody needs to be punished, I'll take the punishment for everybody."

In addition to the conspiracy charge, Mullet was convicted last year on six additional counts, including lying to the FBI, for planning the attacks, which were likened to animals being shorn.

The sentencing came after more than four hours during which the U.S. attorney and the defendants had the chance to address the court. Mullet could have received a life sentence.

Mullet's sons asked that they be allowed to serve the time for their father. The judge gave them sentences from five to seven years. Others convicted were sentenced to as little as a year and a day up to seven years in federal prison.

Nine of 10 men who were convicted have been locked up awaiting sentencing. The six women, who all have children, have been free on bond.

During the trial, prosecutors and witnesses in U.S. District Court here described how Mullet's sons pulled a father out of bed and chopped off his beard in the moonlight and how women followers of Mullet surrounded their mother-in-law and cut off 2 feet of her hair, taking it down to the scalp in some places.

"It's a cult," said Arlene Miller, 48, of Carrollton, Ohio, whose husband is an Amish bishop and was a victim of the beard cuttings. "Their minds were programmed in the wrong way by Sam Mullet, so we feel like these people are very deceived and they are actually victims of Sam Mullet."

The five cutting attacks on a total of nine victims took place between September and November 2011.

Hair and beards have enormous religious symbolism for the Amish, and the government portrayed the attacks as hate crimes. The defense admitted the cuttings took place but characterized the incidents as a family feud.

"These attacks were never just about hair," Assistant U.S. Attorney Bridget M. Brennan said Friday. "They were about religion."

In an interview last week in Bergholz at the Mullet farm, Mullet's unmarried 19-year-old grandson, Edward Mast, discussed the family's attitude. He said they are steadfast in the belief that the attacks didn't rise to the level of a hate crime.

"The beard, what it stands for me, what I know about it, once you're married, you just grow a beard. That's just the way the Amish is," Mast said.

As for the victims, he added, "They got their beard back again, so what's the big deal about it?"

U.S. Attorney Steven Dettelbach called the verdicts a "triumph for one of the most basic and sacred freedoms in this country: freedom of religion."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Ohio Amish beard-cutting ringleader gets 15 years
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:43:18 PM »
I don't know if I agree with the harsh sentences... But I would probably feel much different if they cut my beard and peyos... A man is the only one to determine if he will cut his beard, not anyone else...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
This is more than what most murderers get.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »
I don't know if I agree with the harsh sentences... But I would probably feel much different if they cut my beard and peyos... A man is the only one to determine if he will cut his beard, not anyone else...

Muman,

I agree with you.  How dare they think it is their right o attack other people like savages and terrorize them.  I know you are not saying this, but I think we should throw the book at them. Incidentally, why are the women who attacked the Amish woman getting off scot free.  Send them all to jail for a spell

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:02:20 AM »
I don't think the leader should be put away for 15 years. I think they should go to prison though because what they did was obviously assault.

Also even though the victims weren't permanently injured, it could have gone a lot worse. After all the perpetrators were attacking the victims with sharp objects. They could have accidentally cut someone's throat or poked their eyes if the victims were struggling against the haircutting.

So this was definitely a serious crime and not just a prank.