Author Topic: Pamela Gellars speech to be cancelled at great neck temple due to threats  (Read 3968 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Shul Cancels Pamela Geller — But Fails To Take Stand                 http://blogs.forward.com/forward-thinking/174696/shul-cancels-pamela-geller-but-fails-to-take-sta/
By Nechama Liss-Levinson

Print
    Email
    Share Share

Pamela Geller

It was after 11 p.m. yesterday that I first heard the news that my synagogue, the Great Neck Synagogue, had announced the cancellation of a speaking engagement by Pamela Geller, founder of Stop Islamization of America (SIOA), described as a “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center. I breathed a great sigh of relief. I quickly stopped writing the piece I was working on about how my heart was broken by the intransigence of the synagogue and its leadership in confronting a moral challenge.

Despite the cancellation, I am still filled with pain. When the synagogue announced its decision to cancel Geller’s talk, originally set for April 14, it cited “security concerns,” particularly for member families and their children. This indeed may be the reason that the executive board of the synagogue cancelled the event.
In my heart, I hope it was not the only reason. I hope the leadership was (at least unconsciously) influenced by the virtual flood of phone calls, emails, and private conversations in which Great Neck Synagogue members, as well as others, made the point that even though Geller has the right to speak, the synagogue does not have an obligation to offer her its pulpit.

I wish my synagogue had spoken of the moral question. I wish the leaders had stood up and said, “We didn’t initially realize what Geller represents. Now that we do know, we will stand proudly against hate speech.” I wish that they had noticed that Geller’s concerns about radical Islam often morph into a vilification of all Muslims and the Islamic faith. Her language encourages denigration and dehumanization, rather than constructive discussion and cooperation.

What is even more distressing to me is the reaction that the cancellation has engendered. The commentary on the blogosphere, including a statement posted on Geller’s website, now denigrates the synagogue and its leaders. The vitriol and hatred in these postings are frightening. Both sides in this conflict feel that they are right, that they own the moral high ground, and that an evil is being perpetrated. But a quick survey of these postings will find that the supporters of Geller have totally lost the capacity for civil discourse.
Related

Leftist Jewish Groups Want Synagogue To Cancel Speech by Pamela Geller
    San Francisco Grapples With Anti-Islam Bus Ads
    Jewish Groups Object to Anti-Muslim Ad

I had planned to use two quotes from Elie Wiesel in my original post about the Geller invitation. His most famous one is: “Indifference to evil is evil.” And then, just days ago, on Holocaust Remembrance Day, a young friend posted this, also from Wiesel: “I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides.”

I feel that these quotes give me added strength to do what I think is right. And then I read scores of quotes online from supporters of Geller,also using the example of the Holocaust as a reason that she should be permitted to speak. Most used the phrase, “Never again.” Who knew that even the Holocaust can be used to justify such disparate viewpoints?

When I got into my car this morning at 8:00 a.m., a radio newscast informed me that Geller had declared that her talk was cancelled due to “relentless intimidation, bullying and threats.” In fact, she said, “leftist thugs, pushed and prodded by Islamist supremacist…… threatened a march on the shul.”

I sat in the car stunned. What was true was that my husband and I had petitioned the Village of Great Neck for permission for a peaceful demonstration, which would have taken place across the street from the synagogue on the Sunday morning of Geller’s talk. It was clearly written in the petition that the demonstrators would be “polite and law abiding.” There were no microphones or speeches planned for our event, just placards with messages like “Say NO to Religious Bigotry” or “Great Neck Synagogue Members Support Religious Tolerance.”

The organizers were all members of Great Neck Synagogue, parents and grandparents, community leaders and community activists. We wanted to show that not all members of the synagogue agreed with the decision to invite Geller. We wanted to be able to stand proudly. We wanted, as Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel, wrote, “to pray with our feet.” As of yesterday, we were the only group to file a petition to assemble on the day of Geller’s speech. I have been called many things, but this was the first time I have been branded a “leftist thug.”

Why did we plan to protest? We want our synagogue to be known for the many extraordinary programs in which we’ve participated: sending busloads of demonstrators to Washington D.C. to protest the genocide in Darfur; organizing a 25-person relief mission to rebuild New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina; sending food for the holidays to impoverished Jewish families as well as to the food pantry sponsored by a local church; and being home base for a Women’s Tefila group, which offers meaningful rituals for many of the developmental milestones that Jewish girls and women face. And so it seemed untenable that this synagogue would be stuck in such a terrible morass, getting attention for offering a platform to hatred and bigotry.

I am thrilled that the Great Neck Synagogue has cancelled the event for Geller. I remain brokenhearted for the underlying anxieties, fears and hatreds that it exposed.

Nechama Liss-Levinson, Ph.D. is a psychologist and author. Her most recent book, When the Hurricane Came was chosen as a finalist for the National Jewish Book Awards, Children’s and Young Adult Literature.     

more at her blog                    http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2013/04/pamela-geller-event-at-great-neck-synagogue-cancelled-the-synagogue-is-unable-to-bear-the-burden.html 

Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Pamela Geller Event at Great Neck Synagogue Cancelled:
"The Synagogue is Unable to Bear the Burden."

Due to relentless intimidation, bullying and threats, the Great Neck Synagogue is cancelling my talk at the Great Neck Synagogue on Sunday. It is a very sad day for freedom-loving peoples when fascist tactics trump free speech.

Leftist goons, pushed and prodded by Islamic supremacist Habeeb Ahmed and his co-conspirators, threatened a march on the shul (among other things) on Sunday (imagine how terrorized the Sunday school children would be).

They win. Again.
The synagogue board could not take the extraordinary pressures and issued the following statement that, as the board said, while "these important issues must be discussed, the synagogue is unable to bear the burden." The event is cancelled.

"As the notoriety and media exposure of the planned program this Sunday have increased, so has the legal liability and potential security exposure of our institution and it's [sic] member families. In an era of heightened security concerns it is irresponsible to jeopardize the safety of those who call Great Neck Synagogue home, especially our children, even at the risk of diverting attention from a potentially important voice in the ongoing debate. Accordingly, the Great Neck Synagogue Men's Club will no longer be sponsoring the appearance of Pamela Geller this coming Sunday, and no event will be taking place in our facility."

Executive Board
    Great Neck Synagogue

UPDATE: The Great Neck Patch is all over it.

UPDATE: Spencer adds: "Note that they don't say "We finally realized that Geller was just as bad as they say" or some such. They say: "In an era of heightened security concerns it is irresponsible to jeopardize the safety of those who call Great Neck Synagogue home, especially our children, even at the risk of diverting attention from a potentially important voice in the ongoing debate." In other words, the Leftist and Islamic supremacist thugs made it clear that the synagogue would be in danger if the event went on. And so the goons know: make threats, issue smears, and decent people will cave. It is a terrible precedent for the future of the freedom of speech, and for America."
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Free speech wins                  http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2013/04/free-speech-demo-at-habeeb-ahmeds-human-rights-office-on-sunday-stand-against-islamic-supremcist-int.html   

MUCH MORE ABOUT THIS AT HER SITE     

Thursday, April 11, 2013
FREE SPEECH DEMO at Habeeb Ahmed's Human Rights Office 1pm, Sunday: HABEEB MUST GO!

After our event on sharia at the Chabad Synagogue on Sunday, where I have been rescheduled to speak at 10am, we will be reconvening in front of Habeeb Ahmed's Human Rights Commission office. Ahmed used his office to strongarm and bully the Great Neck Synagogue to cancel my talk on Sunday. It's not far away -- only 20 minutes.

We wil we be reading Quranic texts and teachings that command Jew-hatred, demanding that Habeeb Ahmed and all Islamic clerics condemn the religious texts that fuel the hatred of Israel and Jewish people across the world. Let us truly further interfaith dialogue.

Don't miss this protest.

We will convene at 1p. Join Robert Spencer, Dr. Andrew Bostom and myself. BE THERE

Nassau County Commission on Human Rights
240 Old Country Road,  Mineola, NY 11501

1pm

AFDI applauds the Nassau County Attorney’s office investigation. Habeed Ahmed “misused his title" to strongarm a Long Island synagogue into silencing free speech and enforcing the sharia. Habeeb apologized, but that is hardly enough. HE MUST GO (read these emails).

Here is the latest on Habeebgate, the alleged attempt by the Islamic supremacist Habeeb Ahmed of the Nassau County Human Rights Commission to use the power of his position deploy his mujahideen in a covert effort to intimidate the Great Neck synagogue into cancelling my scheduled speech there.

Habeeb and his accomplices ordered their minions to strongarm the shul, make calls, and get the synagogue leaders to cancel a proud Jew scheduled to speak at their synagogue. (more here)

As a result of this egregious violation of the public trust, we urge the Nassau County Executive to remove this thug from office.

We welcome this investigation and hope the imposition of sharia blasphemy laws using public office will be punished to the full extent of the law. American law for American courts. Stop sharia in America.

This is the day's schedule: Pamela Geller and Cpl Lance Buckley's father join Rabbi Yoseph Geisinsky to speak at Chabad at 10 am on Sunday.

1pm Free Speech Demo at Habeeb's "Human Rights Commission" Office, 240 Old Country Road, Mineola. Bring flags and free speech signs.

7 pm Pamela Geller and Cpl Lance Buckley's father join Rabbi Dr. Bernhard Rosenberg to speak again -- Temple Beth-El, 91 Jefferson Boulevard Edison, NJ.

Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Cowards!  i would have never cancelled such a thing even if there was a threat.  I would have had my men to get their baseball bats ready for a wacking just in case.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Cowards!  i would have never cancelled such a thing even if there was a threat.  I would have had my men to get their baseball bats ready for a wacking just in case.
Any normal group of people with a spine would

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Poetic justice yet again!  Mida keneged mida.  It's time to do teshuva Ms. Gellar.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Shul is not the place of politics. And who called them cowards should ask what they have done that is the opposite of being a coward? Especially something that could put their children and family in danger. Go perhaps put pictures of you burning the Koran and such with your address below as we'll. lets see your bats save u. Please think before posting.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Pamela was just granted two new venues to give her speech. One is a Chabad shul. I will post mors about it soon.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Shul is not the place of politics. And who called them cowards should ask what they have done that is the opposite of being a coward? Especially something that could put their children and family in danger. Go perhaps put pictures of you burning the Koran and such with your address below as we'll. lets see your bats save u. Please think before posting.

Good point. I said it.

But those making threats should be arrested.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
http://www.israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-synagogues-step-up-to-plate-invite.html

Two synagogues step up to the plate, invite Geller to speak

After being gagged in Great Neck, blogger Pamela Geller has been invited to speak at two other synagogues in the New York area on Sunday.

Two courageous and magnificent Rabbis have asked me to speak on Sunday. Rabbi Yoseph Geisinsky of the Chabad, Great Neck and Rabbi Dr. Bernhard Rosenberg of Congregation Beth-El in Edison, New Jersey have both invited me to speak at their synagogues on Sunday -- the same day I was scheduled to speak at the Great Neck Synagogue on Long Island until that synagogue caved to a leftist/Islamic supremacist smear and intimidation campaign.

Rabbi Geisinsky and Rabbi Rosenberg both extended the invitations to me personally this morning, and I commend them both for it. The cancellation by the Great Neck Synagogue was particularly craven and cowardly, as it sends the message that if leftists and Muslims defame those they hate loudly enough and for a long enough time, they will succeed in getting them silenced. But in contrast to that unconscionable self-imposed dhimmitude, both of these Rabbis are standing up for the freedom of speech and the defense of the Jewish people. They're saying no to thuggery and pressure tactics. Above all, they're standing up for the truth.

Indeed.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
God bless Pamela. She is doing a great job!
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
Miracles do happen.    This was the case with the courageous Rabbi Yoseph Geisinsky.     G-d Bless him and his family:

http://hezbos.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-brush-with-death-rebbe-story.html

Sunday, February 03, 2013

A Brush with Death - A Rebbe Story

One month ago, Rabbi Yoseph Geisinsky, the Chabad emissary in Great Neck, NY, suffered due to a previous, severe heart-attack. He was rushed to the hospital. Upon arrival he was already comatose. The doctors felt no point in attempts at revival.

One of the doctors, however, being a close friend of the family, insisted they make attempts to revive him.

After 15 minutes of cardiopulmonary resuscitation, his pulse suddenly returned. The doctors, nevertheless, remained pessimistic, giving him little chance of recovery. If after 72 hours his heart continued beating, he'd stand a chance to live.

Seventy-two hours after he went comatose, his consciousness returned. His condition improved daily thereafter and soon he was up, alert, healthy - and left the hospital.

A few days later he called together his family and asked them to sing a chassidic melody because he wants to tell them something important. When they were done, he related this story:

"While in the throes of death, my soul ascended to heaven where Angel Michael greeted me. I merited to see all tzaddikim, starting from Moses, who was teaching children, until the Ba'al Shem Tov and the Admor Hazaken [1st Lubavitcher Rebbe]. The angel told me I needed to enter the heavenly courtroom for a determination on my final status, whether I remain in heaven or return to earth.

"When the heavenly court convened, the question of judging where I be arose and they asked my opinion. I answered I was a chassid of the Rebbe and, accordingly, I want to do as the Rebbe wants of me. Immediately they summoned the Rebbe. When he entered, all stood up in his honor and afforded him indescribable honor. They asked the Rebbe where I ought to be. The Rebbe answered, 'Because I am actively working to precipitate the Redemption, and he, after all, is a soldier of mine, I need him in the world to continue his work.'"

Immediately thereafter the emissary opened his eyes and regained consciousness.
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Miracles do happen.    This was the case with the courageous Rabbi Yoseph Geisinsky.     G-d Bless him and his family:

http://hezbos.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-brush-with-death-rebbe-story.html

Sunday, February 03, 2013

A Brush with Death - A Rebbe Story

One month ago, Rabbi Yoseph Geisinsky, the Chabad emissary in Great Neck, NY, suffered due to a previous, severe heart-attack. He was rushed to the hospital. Upon arrival he was already comatose. The doctors felt no point in attempts at revival.

One of the doctors, however, being a close friend of the family, insisted they make attempts to revive him.

After 15 minutes of cardiopulmonary resuscitation, his pulse suddenly returned. The doctors, nevertheless, remained pessimistic, giving him little chance of recovery. If after 72 hours his heart continued beating, he'd stand a chance to live.

Seventy-two hours after he went comatose, his consciousness returned. His condition improved daily thereafter and soon he was up, alert, healthy - and left the hospital.

A few days later he called together his family and asked them to sing a chassidic melody because he wants to tell them something important. When they were done, he related this story:

"While in the throes of death, my soul ascended to heaven where Angel Michael greeted me. I merited to see all tzaddikim, starting from Moses, who was teaching children, until the Ba'al Shem Tov and the Admor Hazaken [1st Lubavitcher Rebbe]. The angel told me I needed to enter the heavenly courtroom for a determination on my final status, whether I remain in heaven or return to earth.

"When the heavenly court convened, the question of judging where I be arose and they asked my opinion. I answered I was a chassid of the Rebbe and, accordingly, I want to do as the Rebbe wants of me. Immediately they summoned the Rebbe. When he entered, all stood up in his honor and afforded him indescribable honor. They asked the Rebbe where I ought to be. The Rebbe answered, 'Because I am actively working to precipitate the Redemption, and he, after all, is a soldier of mine, I need him in the world to continue his work.'"

Immediately thereafter the emissary opened his eyes and regained consciousness.
This is really great !!

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
I'm not a fan of Scamela but still, this Chabad congregation is showing some guts.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer

Dr Dan,

This thing is, and I am not immune to this myself, though I wish I was, the Jews are an afraid people.  We fear men in Keffiyehs with their barbarian thunder attacking us and worse women, children, our parents and the elderly.  Non-Israeli Jews are not of this mettle AND no one lines up to side with us--as we always do for them--the Blacks, Hispanics, gays, etc.  If we are to really say, "come speak at our shul," we better be trained, we better be in excellent physical shape, we better know how to use weapons, and we better be able to show them resolutely, unquestionably, "NEVER AGAIN!!"  So that they never even think about bothering us at our places of worship for a very long time

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Dr Dan,

This thing is, and I am not immune to this myself, though I wish I was, the Jews are an afraid people.  We fear men in Keffiyehs with their barbarian thunder attacking us and worse women, children, our parents and the elderly.  Non-Israeli Jews are not of this mettle AND no one lines up to side with us--as we always do for them--the Blacks, Hispanics, gays, etc.  If we are to really say, "come speak at our shul," we better be trained, we better be in excellent physical shape, we better know how to use weapons, and we better be able to show them resolutely, unquestionably, "NEVER AGAIN!!"  So that they never even think about bothering us at our places of worship for a very long time

I think a hard glare or staring them down will make our enemies think twice. That's been my experience at least.

Offline NoMosqueHere

• Master JTFer
The only groups liberal jewish temples stand tall for are (in this order):  blacks, queers, and muslims.

• Gold Star JTF Member

WHAT?     You ever been to Rav Ovadia Yosef's shul?   And you're going to sit here and tell me shul is not a "place of politics"  ?   What the hell, Judaism is not "religion."  Judaism is about life, all facets of life.     What's wrong with Pamela Gellar speaking at a shul?

Should Chaim ben Pesach also not speak at a shul because "that's politics?"   

They backed down due to pressure, not because they suddenly embraced your idealized fantasy about what goes on or doesn't go on at a shul.

In my opinion, the reason she keeps getting shot down by other seeming "legitimate" people for her being not legitimate or "too extreme" is because of the fact that she publicly trashed JTF calling us extreme and an unacceptable association in the herculean effort she is making to prove her "legitimacy" to others.     She will never succeed in convincing people she is "acceptable" until she apologizes to JTF for deeming us unacceptable.   Just IMO.

We await our public apology, Ms. Gellar, you extremist fanatic.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
WHAT?     You ever been to Rav Ovadia Yosef's shul?   And you're going to sit here and tell me shul is not a "place of politics"  ?   What the hell, Judaism is not "religion."  Judaism is about life, all facets of life.     What's wrong with Pamela Gellar speaking at a shul?

Should Chaim ben Pesach also not speak at a shul because "that's politics?" 

1) No, never have been there.

2) She usually doesn't dress modestly as well (no offense to her) and even if modest she is a female and it usually is not tolerated at shuls for women to publicly speak. (at least in our shuls).

3) I said that the topic is political and at the shuls the speeches should be about Din Torah and not about politics. One time we had an event (not even in shul but associated with it) where someone running for some office was speaking. It sucked and definitely was not appropriate for the event (Simhat Torah). It turns the event and the atmosphere into cheap politics.

4) If Chaim made a Derasha at a shul it would be fine (Like Parsha or Torah lecture). making a presentation against Islam, in my opinion it would not be the appropriate place.

5) Lastly they canceled it because it could have brought unnecessary attention to the area and unnecessary danger (as they put it) unto its members. I dont know too much about that and didn't look into it, but like I said better to have these types of things elsewhere in some other centers or types of places (like Colleges for example).
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Good post KWR. Scamela is an Erev Rav phony.

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
I attended the event at Chabad of Great Neck this morning.     There were at least 400 people there.   Maybe as many as 600.     Chabad of Great Neck had room inside for around 200 people.    The rest of us watched the event outdoors,   via a large screen and speakers. 

Among the people that were at the Chabad event that most of you are familar with are Pastor Manning,   Helen Freedman ( AFSI ),  and Assemblyman Dov Hikind.     The latter spoke after Pamela Geller did.    Hikind brought up his days with JDL,   as it related to the efforts to Free Soviet Jews.    He said that many were skeptical of what JDL was trying to accomplish.       Hikind was trying to get people to act today in the face of the threats that Pamela Geller and others that spoke touched on.

The Chabad Event was very peaceful.     It felt like a Tea Party Rally to a large extent.    Many people from the various U.S. Armed Forces were present,   as Greg Buckley, Sr.  spoke to the audience about the his son's (Marine Lance Cpl. Greg Buckley Jr. )  barbaric murder in Afghanistan this past August.    I recognized many people at the Event from various other events and functions.       Chabad of Great Neck did a tremendous job in hosting the event.    There was great appreciation for their efforts.    I already sent the Rabbi Geisinsky a letter and a check to Chabad of Great Neck in appreciation for what he did in this time of need.     

Afterwards,   I went to Mineola where Pamela Geller,   Robert Spencer,  and others led a protest against Nassau County Commission on Human Rights Habeeb Ahmed,  who used the power of his office to stop Geller from speaking at Great Neck Synagogue.   News 12 Long Island was at both events.   In Mineola,  they did a number of interviews.     Many local newspapers from Nassau County were present,  as well as a number of Jewish newspapers/ media sources.     

I had the pleasure of speaking to Helen Freedman at the Mineola Event.   She spoke to the crowd for a few minutes.

While I certainly strongly disagree with what Pamela Geller did regarding JTF and the way she handled something else,    these events were much more important than any one person.     We are in the fight of our lives as JTF has touched on for over 20 years and Rabbi Kahane warned about over a generation earlier.   
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

• Gold Star JTF Member
1) No, never have been there.

2) She usually doesn't dress modestly as well (no offense to her) and even if modest she is a female and it usually is not tolerated at shuls for women to publicly speak. (at least in our shuls).

3) I said that the topic is political and at the shuls the speeches should be about Din Torah and not about politics. One time we had an event (not even in shul but associated with it) where someone running for some office was speaking. It sucked and definitely was not appropriate for the event (Simhat Torah). It turns the event and the atmosphere into cheap politics.

4) If Chaim made a Derasha at a shul it would be fine (Like Parsha or Torah lecture). making a presentation against Islam, in my opinion it would not be the appropriate place.

5) Lastly they canceled it because it could have brought unnecessary attention to the area and unnecessary danger (as they put it) unto its members. I dont know too much about that and didn't look into it, but like I said better to have these types of things elsewhere in some other centers or types of places (like Colleges for example).

The reality is that shuls bring in people to speak about all sorts of topics (sometimes politics, sometimes non Din Torah related as many of them are not even poskim, and even if you bring in other poskim, the shul goes by its rav in psak halacha, not some visiting guest!).   A woman speaking is no great shock in a more modern type of Orthodox shul.   
And obviously no matter what shul she speaks in, they would be requiring her to wear modest attire in order to appear and speak there!

I do not see the problem in inviting Chaim ben Pesach to speak at any shul on any topic, whether he's giving a drasha, or he's presenting about the danger of Islam to the Jewish people.    This type of event (although not that specific example maybe) happens all the time on various topics.

I am certainly not saying a non-shomer-shabbos person should speak ON YOM TOV on a random subject at a shul.   Although that could also theoretically happen, I can see why that might negatively impact the atmosphere of the chag and produce an unsatisfactory feeling for you and others (aka "it sucked").   But even so, you are admitting that your shul did this, even if you personally didn't like it or found it lacking.    And what happened at your shul is even more extreme than having a basic speaking arrangement on a Sunday afternoon (or whatever it was) for pamela gellar or some other Jewish activist, like we are talking about here.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
  Actually it wasn't on Yom Tov, it was a few days later (celebrating Simhat Torah) and it wasn't at the shul it was at a restaurant, he was Religious by the way and spoke for a few minutes. It definitely took away from the main theme of the night though and even the few minutes cheapened the event (in my view) because it introduced politics and about voting for one person and not another. We never had it before or ever since (Thankfully).

At Shul (s) itself only have seen (when outsiders come), give Mussar speech's. Sometimes say some Halachot, and at times ask to collect money for Yeshivot (few local, but mostly Yeshivot in Eress Yisrael). BUT no politics.

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/167118
Who Tried to Silence Pamela Geller?

The Jewish community in New York is protesting an attempt to silence Jewish activist Pamela Geller, who warns against the dangers of Islam.

By Eliran Aharon, New York
First Publish: 4/15/2013, 1:15 AM

Pamela Geller

Arutz Sheva

The Jewish community in New York is protesting a recent attempt to silence Jewish activist Pamela Geller, who holds lectures in which she warns against the dangers of Islam and jihad which are spreading in Europe and the U.S.

Geller is co-founder of the American Freedom Defense Initiative and has been at the forefront of championing causes that have to do with democracy, freedom, liberty and justice through her role as a leading blogger at "Atlas Shrugs", a co-founder of "Stop the Islamization of America" and a prolific writer on the subject of the threat to the American value system that she feels is represented by insidious encroachment of Sharia law in the Western world.

Arutz Sheva has learned that several weeks ago, Geller was invited to speak at one of the synagogues in Great Neck, but local Jewish leftist activists exerted heavy pressure on the synagogue, in order to prevent her from speaking.

Members of the local Jewish community told Arutz Sheva on Sunday that the leftists threatened to take action against the synagogue if it allows Geller to speak there. The rabbi of the synagogue eventually surrendered and cancelled the lecture, they said.

Local Chabad members, however, heard the story and, deciding that freedom of expression is a supreme value, allowed Geller to lecture at one of the local Chabad synagogues. The Chabad members were also threatened but did not give up. The community members said that even when well-respected donors told Chabad they would block financial aid if they let Geller speak, Chabad was not deterred and said it intended, despite the threats, to allow Geller to be heard.

On Sunday, Geller was given the opportunity to give her lecture in the presence of many Jews.

Excellent job by Chabad of Great Neck in remaining firm in the face of adversity from the Leftists and very likely Muslims as well.

While Chabad of Great Neck might have lost some donations,   it was encouraging to see a large jar full of cash that one of the Chabad members was carrying around while trying to get contributions.     In that jar I noticed a $ 100 bill.     When combining this with the checks that Chabad of Great Neck received,  including the one I sent them when I got home in the afternoon,     I'm confident that they will benefit financially overall.       Most importantly,    Chabad of Great Neck stood by their principles.      You can't put a price on that!

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
EB,

I am so proud of you for representing a voice of unapologetic and unflinching Jewish activism!