Author Topic: Kosher recipes.  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Kosher recipes.
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »
Anyone?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Kosher recipes.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »
Almost anything with Kosher ingredients.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »
Thanks...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 01:57:51 AM »
My Rabbis Rebbetzin knew about Jamie Geller and her JoyOfIsrael show about Kosher cooking.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 05:02:14 PM »
This meatloaf looks easy and tasty...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
http://theshiksa.com/2011/10/22/stuffed-cabbage-leaves/  Pics in link.

Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
October 22, 2011
Like333Retweet9Google +11Pin it917Save Recipe

Stuffed cabbage is a classic Ashkenazi Jewish dish, and everybody seems to have their favorite way of making it. Also known as holishkes or prokes, stuffed cabbage leaves were a central part of the Eastern European Jewish diet. When we talk about these types of dishes, it nearly always comes down to one question:

“How did Bubbe make it?”

We all have a fondness in our heart for the dishes we grew up with, and the way our parents or grandparents cooked them. Often, we find ourselves wishing that our grandparents had written their family recipes down. After they’re gone, we struggle to capture that traditional flavor, the one we remember so well from our childhood.

Because I don’t have a Jewish “bubbe” (grandma), I have to create my own favorite way of making these iconic Jewish dishes. Sometimes I am influenced by my husband’s family, but I also like to see what other family traditions are out there. Whenever I want to learn a Jewish recipe, I try many, many different recipes to see what I like best in each one. That means I’ve made stuffed cabbage over a dozen different ways. I’ve tried recipes from Polish friends and Israeli friends. I’ve tried it the Sara Kasden way, the Molly Goldberg way, the Fanny Engle and Gertrude Blair way (Jewish cookbook authors from my vintage cookbook collection). I’ve tried the wonderful versions from Joan Nathan and Arthur Schwartz and 2nd Avenue Deli. I’ve made it with V-8 juice and tomato soup, cranberry sauce and apricot preserves, raisins and crushed gingersnaps. They’re all terrific, and each has something that makes it special. My challenge is to take the thing I like best in each recipe and create something new, something fresh– my own take on the classic.

One thing I’ve found is that I like a stuffed cabbage that is less sweet and more tart. Polish versions tend to be extremely sweet, often with raisins. I prefer a tart sauce with a slight sweetness, as well as a savory filling full of flavor. I add sauerkraut for that extra bit of tartness. The filling is key– a stuffed cabbage filling can easily be bland if you don’t give it lots of seasoning and care.

At any rate, this is my version of stuffed cabbage, the one my husband loves and asks me for on a regular basis. Your bubbe may have done hers differently. That’s what is so fun about Jewish food… every family has their own way, and every bubbe’s way is the best way. The sauce’s flavor can be adjusted by adding more brown sugar or lemon juice to taste, if desired.

Simchat Torah is a Jewish holiday during which we celebrate and give thanks for the Torah. Stuffed cabbage leaves are traditionally served on this holiday because they bear a visual resemblance to a rolled Torah scroll. In addition to being a holiday treat, stuffed cabbage is a wonderful dish for the autumn and winter months. It’s cozy and satisfying, and it’s also pretty healthy. It’s gluten free (when using certified GF packaged products), low in carbs, high in protein and full of fiber.

For an easier version of this dish, my Unstuffed Cabbage, click here.

Did your bubbe make stuffed cabbage? What’s your special family version of this classic dish?

RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS

Large Pot

Colander

Any purchase you make from The Shiksa Market helps to support my website, my recipes, and the free content I provide. If you have an Amazon login, it’s even easier to make a purchase. Thanks for browsing!

Save RecipePrint Recipe
Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
INGREDIENTS

1 large green cabbage (3.5-4 lbs.)
1 lb ground beef, ground chicken, or a mixture (I use half and half)
1 cup cooked long grain rice, white or brown
1/3 cup finely minced onion
2 tbsp fresh minced dill
1 egg
1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, divided
2 cans (14 oz) tomato sauce, divided
1 can (14 oz) diced or crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
2 tbsp brown sugar (or more to taste)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp paprika
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
Salt and pepper to taste
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Cook Time: 2 - 2 Hours 30 Minutes
Servings: 12-16 stuffed cabbage leaves
Kosher Key: Meat
Rinse the cabbage clean, then immerse it in a large pot of boiling water and cook it for 4-5 minutes until leaves are soft and pliable, but not overly soft.
Drain the cabbage in a colander and let it sit until cool enough to handle.
Alternatively, you can freeze the cabbage overnight (or up to 3 days). Defrost the cabbage for about three hours. This will make the leaves pliable in the same way that parboiling does.
Prepare your filling. In a bowl, mix together ground meat, cooked rice, minced onion, minced dill, egg, ½ cup sauerkraut (drained of juice), 1/3 cup tomato sauce, salt and pepper to taste. I use about 1 ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper—kosher meat needs less salt. To test the seasoning of the meat, you can fry up a small portion in a skillet or pop it in the microwave till it’s thoroughly cooked, then taste it. It’s easy to under-season the filling, so err on the side of adding extra pepper and salt.
Tip: You can make this filling ahead and refrigerate a few hours to overnight; this will allow the flavors to marinate and make it firmer and easier to handle.
Peel off the large cabbage leaves from the head of cabbage, keeping only the leaves that are whole/intact and big enough to stuff. Chop up the remaining smaller leaves along with the core of the cabbage. Reserve.
Place your large leaves on a cutting board.
Take a leaf and pat it dry with a paper towel.
Shave down the tough, thick part of the stem at the base of each leaf using a paring knife, being careful not to cut through the leaf itself. Repeat process for the remaining leaves.
Now it’s time to stuff the leaves. Place a leaf on the cutting board, stem end closest to you. The leaves tend to curl in one direction, so make sure that the curl is facing upward—in other words, it should have a bowl-like shape with edges that curl up, not down.
Place 1/4 to 1/3 cup of filling at the base of the leaf, centered, about 1/2 inch above the edge. Do not over-stuff the leaves; you want a substantial amount of filling, but a good amount of cabbage leaf around the edges makes for easier rolling.
Fold the base of the leaf up and over the filling till it’s completely covered.
Fold the left edge of the leaf inward. Leave the right side of the leaf open.
Continue rolling the leaf till it’s completely rolled up (with the right end still loose/open).
Tuck the loose end of the leaf inward, pushing it into the filled center of the leaf.
This will create a neat package that has a better chance of holding together in the pot.
Continue the process for the remaining leaves. Depending on how many useable leaves your cabbage has, you may find you have some leftover filling. Simply roll that filling into meatballs; you can place them into the pot along with the stuffed leaves, so you don’t waste anything.
In a small saucepan, combine the rest of the tomato sauce with the diced or crushed tomatoes, lemon juice, brown sugar, tomato paste, garlic and allspice. Warm up over medium heat till bubbly and fragrant. Taste the sauce; season with salt and pepper and more brown sugar or lemon, if desired.
Put remaining 1 cup of sauerkraut and the chopped cabbage leaves/core into the bottom of a pot. Spread the mixture out to create an even layer, then pour ½ cup of chicken broth or water over the top of the leaves.
Place half of the stuffed cabbage leaves on top of the sauerkraut mixture.
Pour 1/3 of the warmed tomato sauce over the first layer of stuffed cabbage leaves.
Put another layer of stuffed leaves on top...
and top with the rest of the sauce.
Heat the pot over medium high and bring the sauce to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and cover the pot. Let the cabbage leaves cook for 2-2 ½ hours till the thickest parts of the leaves are tender. Check the pot periodically to make sure it’s not boiling too vigorously—this can make the leaves fall apart. A slow, even simmer works best.
When finished cooking, remove the stuffed cabbage leaves from the pot carefully with tongs. Top the stuffed cabbage with some of the sauce and a very generous sprinkle of black pepper. Serve hot. Leaves can be refrigerated for 4-5 days or frozen and reheated before serving.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »

Pickling Your Own Herring
Epicurious  | September 1998
by Joan Nathan
Jewish Cooking in America

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pickling-Your-Own-Herring-40023#ixzz2URRhoWNI

yield: Yield: about 6 cups (P)
The trick to pickling today is to find fresh herring or fresh salted herring. Once you've pickled it, use the herring in any favorite recipe, or just mix it as I do, with sour cream, red onion, and dill, to break the fast of Yom Kippur. It will keep for weeks. hide ›

subscribe to Bon Appétit
ingredients

6 Canadian herrings
1 tablespoon to 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar or to cover
1 large onion, sliced
1 thinly sliced lemon (optional)
2 cloves
6 peppercorns
4 bay leaves
print a shopping list for this recipe

preparation

1. Remove the heads from the herring and scale the fish. Wash well, open them, and remove the milt (roe of male fish). Clean the fish well, drain. Lay the herring and milt in water to cover in the refrigerator overnight.
2. The next day rub the milt glands through a sieve or mash them well, and mix with 1 tablespoon of the sugar and a few tablespoons of the vinegar.
3. Place in a 1 1/2-quart jar in layers the herring, onion, lemon slices, cloves, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
4. Add the milt gland mixture, the remaining vinegar, and as much of the remaining sugar as your taste dictates.
5. Cover the jar and keep in the refrigerator for at least 4 days.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pickling-Your-Own-Herring-40023#ixzz2URSG8du6

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »
This looks really good!

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:02:32 PM »
Anyone have a homemade lox recipe?

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 02:32:41 AM »
One thing to note is that yes almost all recipes can become kosher by using kosher ingredients. However, there are more elements. For example, taking out blood from all meat. Also, knowing NOT to mix any dairy products to meat dishes. No mozzarella or Parmesan cheese on meat lasagne for example. Some people like to use "soy" cheese and that works

As far as homemade lox? You mean actually smoking and curing the salmon itself? Or recipes of what to do with lox as in dishes that require lox in it. I have some in my cookbook but not a recipe about how to turn salmon into lox.
I do know how to make "lox sushi" Soo good. I'll post a picture of that and the items I have cooked.

And here are cookbooks  that I have: My favorite recipe is "Challah Bread Pudding".

I can't find a picture of my other cookbook but it's called "What's Cooking: Jewish" http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Cooking-Jewish-Elizabeth-Wolf-Cohen/dp/1405425385/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1369807821&sr=8-11&keywords=Elizabeth+Wolf-Cohen

And my lox sushi and some misshapen Challah I made: (I am sorry if the pictures are too big)

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »
Thanks IsraeliHeart, I was talking about making it from scratch, but I'm really glad you added to the thread. I did find out how to make the lox, it's really easy, I will post it when I can get to a computer. Also, I never thought of soy cheese, thank you! Meat and cheese has been the most difficult.

How do you do the sushi? Like the kelp and rice part, will they stick together?

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/culture/2/Food/american_jewish_cooking/making-lox.shtml#less

How to Make Your Own Lox
Homemade smoked salmon has a strong Jewish appeal.
By Elisheva Margulies
Pareve   

Print this pagePrint page
lox

For many American Jews and for many Americans in general, lox is the luscious topping to their Sunday morning bagel and schmear.

Lox is always made from salmon and is very expensive. In this regard, it is different from many other iconic Jewish foods, like gefilte fish and herring, which are made from ingredients that are easy to acquire and cheap--an important consideration for historically poor Jewish communities.

Because lox is such an expensive item, Claudia Roden writes in The Book of Jewish Food, there is no evidence that the Jews of Eastern Europe ate it in the shtetls. The widespread availability and interest in lox did not come about until Eastern European Jews arrived in America in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

In the 1920's and 30's lox actually became quite affordable, due to the availability of salmon from the Pacific Northwest, which was brought east to New York via the transcontinental railroad. Lox was easy to use and keep, because it did not need refrigeration. Home refrigeration was available starting in the mid 1920's, but many new immigrant families did not yet have this new-fangled appliance. For observant Jews, lox had an additional perk: It could be eaten with any meal--meat or dairy--because fish is pareve.

No one knows exactly who put the winning triumvirate of bagels, cream cheese, and lox together. Joan Nathan suggests that it was most likely born through an advertising campaign for Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Others simply suggest that it was an "anonymous genius." It became the perfect answer to the rest of America's typical Sunday breakfast of bacon, eggs, and toast.

While lox may be delicious, the term is quite confusing--what we now call lox, derived from the German word for salmon, lachs, is in fact smoked salmon. True lox is brined in a salty solution, which cures the fish, but also leaves a strong, salty taste. Today, lox is cured with a light salting and then cold-smoked, which provides the typical "Nova" or smoked salmon flavor. The word lox is now used interchangeably with smoked salmon, and the most popular Sunday-morning item sold at Zabar's in New York City--over 2500 pounds per week--is not "real lox" actually, but smoked salmon.

Unfortunately, lox has become an even more complicated issue with current fishing trends. As wild salmon becomes increasingly scarce, the use of salmon farming has increased dramatically. Over 80% of salmon sold in the United States comes from farms, which raises health and sustainability issues, documented in this 2003 article in the New York Times, "Farmed Salmon Looking Less Rosy."

However, it is now easy, while still not cheap, to purchase sustainable, wild-caught salmon at specialty stores, or at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Though you'll spend on the fish, you can save money by learning to cure it yourself.

The easiest way to make homemade lox is to follow the Scandinavian form of Gravlax, which is cured salmon in a salt-sugar solution. This process skips the smoking step, an unrealistic task for most home-cooks.

Follow this recipe and, in just a few days, you can enjoy delicious lox that you made yourself. Start the fish Thursday and by lunch on Shabbat you will have the perfect showpiece for your Shabbat table--or better yet, wait one more day for the perfect Sunday brunch.<<< Less

Ingredients

1 1/2 - 2 lbs salmon filet, boneless, with the skin on
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 bunch dill, stemmed and leaves washed

Yield:
serves 6-8
Categories: Appetizer, Classics, traditional, Shabbat, Yom Kippur   
We Also Recommend
Also
Dill Pickles
Also
Kosher Fish List
Directions

Rinse salmon filet and make sure all pin bones are removed. To do this, take small pliers or tweezers and pull the small bones out in the same direction they face. There are pin bones more often in wild salmon than in farmed salmon.

Cut the salmon in half, to make two equal-sized pieces.

Mix the salt and sugar in a bowl. On a plate or in a shallow dish, pile half of the mixture onto each half of the salmon. It will seem like there is extra mixture, but just pile it on. The salmon will absorb the mixture during the curing process. Next, place the dill on top. Sandwich the two pieces of fish together and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.

Place the fish into a gallon-sized ziploc bag and push out all of the air. Now place in a shallow dish, such as a pyrex baking dish.

Refrigerate, with weights on top, which is crucial. Use another heavy dish, bottles of wine--anything to weigh down the fish.

The lox will take 2-3 days to cure. At the end of each day, drain any liquid that has been extracted from the salmon and flip the salmon over, so that both sides are evenly weighed down. You can begin tasting it after 2 days. When it is cured to the desired taste, remove fish from plastic and rinse well.

To eat, slice thin on a bias, leaving the skin behind. Eat with your favorite cream cheese and bagel, and enjoy.

The cured lox freezes very well. Simply wrap well in plastic and place in a freezer bag to keep.

Next time, you can change the flavor--make it Mexican with chili powder and limes; Greek with lemon and oregano; Israeli with zaatar... the possibilities are limitless!

Elisheva Margulies

Elisheva Margulies is a natural foods chef and holistic health counselor based in St. Louis, MO. She owns Eat with Eli and offers personal chef services, catering, cooking classes and nutrition counseling to the community. Eli is also involved with Hazon and works actively within her Jewish community to help people eat more health-supportive food and to kick the margarine addiction. Please visit www.eatwitheli.com.
Print this pagePrint this page

Did you like this article?  MyJewishLearning is a not-for-profit organization.

Please consider making a donation today.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »
Wow, thanks for the lox recipe!!

For my sushi, I use lox because I don't want to handle fresh fish. And it is like a Philadelphia roll. Just cook the medium grain rice (like calrose) 1 cup of rice to 1 cup water. You need seasoned rice vinegar which is available at the store. When you let the rice cool, you add the seasoned vinegar. It's important to use seasoned vinegar because it has sugar, adding the tangy taste to rice). So once this is done, you take a sushi mat, the nori sheet. Spread rice over it (wetting your hands helps handle the rice better). Add any ingredient. Depending on what you feel like. I sometimes make tamago (rolled omelet) with lettuce, thinly cut carrots, cucumbers. Or for my lox sushi, I put the lox and cream cheese. I add avocado to any type of sushi. Also, sometimes I like to add Japanese chili powder to make it spicy.
One thing to note is that cooking the rice the right way is very very important! I use a rice cooker, which leaves it perfectly sticky. Btw, you can spend a lot of money on buying specialty sushi rice... but I use calrose rice for a lot less (or a mix of sushi rice and calrose) and have very good results.

So, carefully roll it into a sushi roll. You cut it (but I like to wet the knife with just a few drops of water to make it slice better). Here is a video for it: