Author Topic: The NY Nazi Times Writes How The Beach Boys Are Good Right Wingers  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
I wrote the title referring to "Good Right Wingers". The NY Nazi Times probably doesn't like them.

In May, James Werrell, a syndicated columnist for McClatchy, speculated that the real reason behind the incident at the Cranbrook school in the spring of 1965, in which Mitt Romney, then 18, held down another student, John Lauber, and cut his long bleached hair, wasn’t that Lauber was gay, but because he looked like a surfer. It was too radical to have a “bushy bushy blond hairdo,” as the Beach Boys sang in “Surfin’ U.S.A.”

More than four decades later, Romney included “Good Vibrations,” the band’s most psychedelic hit, on one of his Spotify playlists. And at a recent stop in Cincinnati, the Romney campaign played the song not once, but four times before the candidate came to the podium for his stump speech.

Meanwhile, the Beach Boys are enjoying a renaissance. Buoyed by an evergreen songbook and resurgent interest in Brian Wilson, the formerly reclusive genius behind all those glorious harmonies and arrangements, the band is marking its 50th Anniversary by calling a truce.

After the death of Carl Wilson in 1998 (drummer Dennis Wilson died in 1983), the Beach Boys split into two touring factions, with Love and Bruce Johnston touring in one and Al Jardine in the other. Now that Brian Wilson, who had worked solo since 1988, is back in the fold, all three living original members have reunited. There is a new album, a world tour and TV appearances on the Grammys and Jay Leno.

The band’s Independence Day gig, always their largest and highest-profile, will take place on Wednesday at the annual “Stadium of Fire” event on the campus of Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. With that part of the country being both a Republican and a Mormon stronghold, and this being an election year, it’s worth remembering that the Beach Boys, like the country itself, have several conflicting legacies to reckon with.

On the one hand, we have our country’s first, and to many ears its best, rock ‘n roll band, our only rival to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Revived interest in Wilson’s artistry and its influence on a new generation has been a large part of this reevaluation. It culminated last year, when the band’s legendary album, “Smile,” shelved in 1967 after squabbles over its radical musical departure, was finally released. Wilson’s “teenage symphony to God” is now rightly hailed as a masterpiece, receiving the Obama generation’s stamp of approval with a perfect 10 from Pitchfork, the indie music aficionado Web site.

On the other, we have “America’s Band,” as Ronald Reagan dubbed the Beach Boys in 1983, willing participants in presidential political theater. For many Republicans, the rags-to-riches story of the band embodies an imaginary time of consensus politics and an American Dream at once white-bread and innocent. The band tapped into this sentiment well before the Reagan era, and it’s this strain of the Beach Boys’ peculiar cultural DNA that has supplied them with steady bookings as political mascots for Republicans and conservative causes.

These twin legacies each have their own protagonist, and the Beach Boys’ mythology naturally pits them against each other. It goes like this: Wilson, the childlike Icarus, had his artistic wings clipped by the lead singer Mike Love, his cocksure cousin, who wanted to stick with the proven formula of singing about girls and cars, fun and surf. Wilson then withdrew, crestfallen, into a self-imposed exile and battles with personal demons and drugs. Love, meanwhile, led an increasingly ersatz Beach Boys on a long strange trip that culminated in playing the private 2008 Romney “campaign reunion” event in Houston that doubled as a John McCain fundraiser. (McCain had the chance that night to sing his own foreign policy faux pas parody of the Beach Boys’ classic “Barbara Ann”—“Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran.”)

Taken further, you might say that the Beach Boys’ long history of feuds, friendships and lawsuits exemplifies two sides of the American character. On the Brian side we have an uncompromising blue-state idealism, and on the Mike side we have red-state utility and sticking with the formula. If you buy into the Beach Boys’ myth, no analogy seems too highfalutin. We’re talking Jefferson versus Hamilton, Buckley versus Vidal, Gore v. Bush, Occupy Wall Street versus Tea Partiers. It should only take a few seconds to contrive your own parallels.

The need to reconcile an artist’s politics with his art depends on one’s own politics, of course. I suppose it’s not impossible to picture someone who could both appreciate the genius of the “Pet Sounds” album from 1966, for example, and applaud the band’s appearance at a $100-a-head fundraiser gala at the 1984 Republican convention that nominated Ronald Reagan. (Oddly, Brian Wilson was arrested at the event for not having proper credentials.) And maybe it didn’t make a difference to young music fans at this year’s Bonnaroo music festival, where the Beach Boys shared a bill with Skrillex, Ludacris and Radiohead, that Mike Love once put up $5,000 seed money for Tipper Gore’s Parent’s Music Resource Center (P.M.R.C.) to censor and label records that had sex, violence or drug-related lyrics.

For the casual fan, this latest tour probably won’t seem much different. The band has been promoting a more or less endless summer and promising “fun, fun, fun” in various incarnations since 1961, when they first sang in the Wilsons’ home in Hawthorne, Calif. The same songs that established the Beach Boys as chart-toppers — “California Girls,” “Surfer Girl,” “God Only Knows,” to name just a few — will be performed amid the usual sea of Hawaiian shirts and huarache sandals.

To what degree the Romney campaign co-opts the Beach Boys’ concert on Wednesday remains to be seen. But I’ll be curious to hear what comes out of the band members’ mouths. For longtime Brian fans like me, who prefer to keep images of Ronald Reagan out of our heads as much as possible, the chance to see every living Beach Boy onstage and hear those harmonies sung live leaves me conflicted over which Beach Boy legacy I’m supporting.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
The Beatles seem more immoral. They both have creative music even if their personal lives have evil in them.

But The Beatles are ceratinly more immoral. Especially when they die. The 2 dead Beatles were burned rather than buried.

The 2 dead Beach Boys had real body burials. Even the one that was buried at sea had his real body thrown in, thanks to President Reagan.

Succeeding years saw Wilson battling alcohol abuse. Smoking had taken a toll on his voice, although the resultant gravelly effect helped define him as a singer. On December 28, 1983, shortly after his 39th birthday, Wilson drowned at Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles, after drinking all day and diving in the afternoon to recover items he had thrown overboard at the marina from his yacht three years prior.

Dennis Wilson's body was buried at sea off the California coast (coordinates 33-53.9 N, 118-38.8 W) by the U.S. Coast Guard on January 4, 1984. His song "Farewell My Friend" was played at the funeral. As non-veterans of the Coast Guard and Navy are not allowed to be buried at sea unless cremated, Dennis's burial was possible due to the intervention of then-President Reagan.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
I also read that John Lennon was beginning to regret his Commie past and supported Reagan against the peanut farmer in 1980. He got assassinated by someone for being "phony", I guess because he sang about everyone being equal while being rich. I also heard conspiracy theories about Yoko Ono being behind the assassination.

The Beatles were mostly anti-religious but George Harrison became a Hindu, a step in the wrong direction.

The dead Beatles were burned and Paul McCartney burned his first wife, a Jew. He is also married to a Jew today. I wouldn't be surprised if he burns himself one day.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
I understand your being upset about him burning the body of a Jewish person but why should you worry whether gentiles decide on cremation for themselves or not?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
I understand your being upset about him burning the body of a Jewish person but why should you worry whether gentiles decide on cremation for themselves or not?
I grew up near a Jewish cemetery and believe they had a crematory right on it's grounds... I believe they also have a columbarium for the cremated remains.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline NoMosqueHere

• Master JTFer
Do you realize what a funeral costs today?  The answer is around $10,000.  Cremation costs around $2000.  If you are jewish and want to have a "proper" jewish funeral for your parents, you will need to cough up 20,000 to an avaricious funeral director.  This is a horrendous financial burden for most people, including most jews.  We turn to dust in the grave anyway.  I cannot believe cremation is still so frowned upon by religious jews and others.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
I can't speak to Jewish religious beliefs but as far as my own beliefs as a Christian go, I believe that God has the power to resurrect people's bodies if He wants to regardless of what state they may be in.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I can't speak to Jewish religious beliefs but as far as my own beliefs as a Christian go, I believe that God has the power to resurrect people's bodies if He wants to regardless of what state they may be in.
Obviously it's the Jewish conviction as well. It's a direct logical consequence from the axiom that God is "all powerful". (I put that in quotation marks because this term needs to be well defined).

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Traditional Jewish funerals are cheaper compared to others. The Chevra Kadisha is not a funeral director. Jews don't waste money on fancy coffins. Just a pine box. In Israel, the state pays for funerals and are all done according to Halacha. In Israel, they don't even use coffins. The body is put directly into the ground. We also don't embalm.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Do you realize what a funeral costs today?  The answer is around $10,000.  Cremation costs around $2000.  If you are jewish and want to have a "proper" jewish funeral for your parents, you will need to cough up 20,000 to an avaricious funeral director.  This is a horrendous financial burden for most people, including most jews.  We turn to dust in the grave anyway.  I cannot believe cremation is still so frowned upon by religious jews and others.

I doubt the cost is an issue to people like John Lennon. Many Liberals think it is "sustainable" to destroy bodies rather than bury them. I guess they don't care about pollution caused by the Nazi ovens like in the Holocaust.

Real Jewish funerals are the most environmentally friendly. The body decays on its own in the ground like nature intended.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: The NY Nazi Times Writes How The Beach Boys Are Good Right Wingers
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
Yoko Ono is a murderer. Someone else murdered her husband but she murdered his body against his wishes. May her name and memory be obliterated and may the name of the wicked rot.

http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64336