Author Topic: Kosher Bovine Gelatin  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Kosher Bovine Gelatin
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »
http://www.koshergelatin.com/about

About Kolatin

The Company

Founded in 1991, Glatech is the exclusive producer of 100% kosher, real bovine gelatin. This revolutionary product is a vast improvement over other gelling additives such as fish-based gelatin or carageenan: it provides superior texture and consistency, and offers tremendous flexibility in the kitchen. Our premium gelatin is produced in a state-of-the-art facility using only domestic glatt kosher hides with the highest standard of quality control and kosher supervision.

In addition to the Kolatin® Real Kosher Gelatin unflavored ingredient and flavored gelatin desserts, Glatech is the producer of the complete line of Elyon® kosher marshmallows products.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
Re: Kosher Bovine Gelatin
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:18:36 AM »
So it's bovine gelatin....that I can mix with dairy.

I am sorry, I am just finding this out today and am in disbelief.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:27:57 AM »
Apparently it looses it's meat status. But it had to be from a kosher permitted source in the first place. Therefore if it's from a pig or horse or even a neveilah cow (Not shechted according to Halacha.), it was never permitted in the first place so it can't be used at all.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 12:28:42 AM »
But how can I know! So many products use gelatin. So how do I know which is which.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:49:10 AM »
But how can I know! So many products use gelatin. So how do I know which is which.

Buy the ones that say kosher (OU, OK, Star-K, etc...). Just not the ones with a plain K. I mean there is Jello (The actual Jello brand. I use Jello to refer to the generic product even though it's a brand name.) that says K and in the ingredients it says "Kosher Gelatin". You see the same on some yogurt also. I wouldn't buy those yogurts.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:06:26 PM »
Ok let's say that I do buy gummy bears- disregarding the gelatin issue- what IF they are made with grape juice?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »
Apparently it looses it's meat status. But it had to be from a kosher permitted source in the first place. Therefore if it's from a pig or horse or even a neveilah cow (Not shechted according to Halacha.), it was never permitted in the first place so it can't be used at all.

I think the first and second statements do not make sense TOGETHER. Its either its meat or it is not. And if it is not then it shouldn't matter the source.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
That's what I heard from the rabbi at synagogue in Hilchot Ta'aruvot. Also, you can read about it online at OU Kosher.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 09:47:16 PM »
 I think this topic came up before and I (I also believe KWRBT) explained it.
   What that Rabbi told you doesn't make sense. It is either meat or it is not meat, thus all the rules apply or they do not. Cannot consider it meat (thus Kashrut apply) AND then consider it as non-meat when it is applied to dairy.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.