Author Topic: Any bodybuilders here? Any advice for getting in shape?  (Read 10442 times)

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
Re: Any bodybuilders here? Any advice for getting in shape?
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 06:44:39 AM »
If you like the diet, more power to you. I'm just a pathological debater, so I have to oppose it for the sake of argument. And every girl I've ever met tells me about their stupid diet, so I will oppose diets by default.

200 calories of asparagus is going to cost more and take a lot longer to make than a sandwich. 200 calories are the same calories regardless of the food, but you can substitute a giant plate of vegetables for a bowl of brown or wild rice. You still need vegetables too, but if you keep your proportions straight, the rice shouldn't be any different for you than the bowl of vegetables, except for the glycemic index, but I could care less about my blood sugar.

I like all those starchy vegetables then, too. You don't eat carrots??

I'm in my 20s. I'm not in perfect shape, but I can still do pull-ups and head-kicks, so I do OK. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I recently multiply fractred my collar bone, then the collar bone got jammed into my shoulder muscle, and then marrow came out of the bone and hardened making an arthritic spike. The doctor said a bunch of garbage, but they can't do anything, so I can work out, it's just immensely painful. I slowed down at first, but I've always had a high tolerance to pain and everything, so I get by.

I know people with stupid fast metabolisms too. I have actually an extremely low metabolism, not to the point where it's dangerous, but as low as it could naturally be. I eat something and if I burb the next day, it can taste like it. When I was young, I was fat, and then I just stopped eating sugar and worked out a lot for two months, and then I wasn't fat. Easy. Gaining weight to where I am now was hard, but totally worth it. Anyone at any age can do it, but at least, whether your diet makes you Brad Pitt or not, you have to admit that eating healthy and getting in shape is not hard, is mostly based on common sense, and you don't need someone talking about fantasy cavemen to do it right.

LOL..I'm going to stop now because I'm also a chronic debater and between the two of us this thread will go on until one of us drops dead. And considering that you're in your 20s and I'm 51, it will probably be me so you will win the debate by default, and I can't have that. Better to declare the debate a stalemate than risk losing because of death.

In all seriousness, though, this is not a "diet" per se, it's just omitting certain foods you consume. There's nothing wrong with starchy vegetables or fruits. I love them and eat them too. By mixing up your veggies and adding fruit and fat to your diet, you will have no problem reaching a proper total daily calorie count. It will not bankrupt you or take too long to make. I will say, though, that this is definitely a more expensive way of eating, but not necessarily prohibitive.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2013, 01:30:41 PM »
LOL..I'm going to stop now because I'm also a chronic debater and between the two of us this thread will go on until one of us drops dead. And considering that you're in your 20s and I'm 51, it will probably be me so you will win the debate by default, and I can't have that. Better to declare the debate a stalemate than risk losing because of death.

In all seriousness, though, this is not a "diet" per se, it's just omitting certain foods you consume. There's nothing wrong with starchy vegetables or fruits. I love them and eat them too. By mixing up your veggies and adding fruit and fat to your diet, you will have no problem reaching a proper total daily calorie count. It will not bankrupt you or take too long to make. I will say, though, that this is definitely a more expensive way of eating, but not necessarily prohibitive.

I can not stress more that people should include good quantities of light veggies and fruit in their daily diet. I don't count calories, but while I can say I would not eat only what is in your diet, I would say that the things you are eating are the base essentials, and should show up on your plate every day.

If you are looking to get in shape, however, food makes some difference, but exercise is the most important, and more exercise erases more of any food; if people spent as much time is their diet regime as making a workout schedule, we'd all be much healthier.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
Changed my mind, f your diet

http://www.mangoboss.com/HerbsandFoodstoBoostTestosterone?utm_source=taboola

Dieting fads are typically considered unmanly and here’s
another reason why: they can lower your sex hormone
levels. A widely cited Penn State study of 12 healthy men
found that low-carbohydrate and high protein diets can
eventually slow down testosterone production.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2013, 06:50:37 AM »
Changed my mind, f your diet

http://www.mangoboss.com/HerbsandFoodstoBoostTestosterone?utm_source=taboola

Dieting fads are typically considered unmanly and here’s
another reason why: they can lower your sex hormone
levels. A widely cited Penn State study of 12 healthy men
found that low-carbohydrate and high protein diets can
eventually slow down testosterone production.

Wow man, learn to read. It is not a LOW carb diet. Just because you don't eat grains, which are carb dense, does not mean your whole meal consists of bacon wrapped steaks with a side of eggs and pork chops.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
Wow man, learn to read. It is not a LOW carb diet. Just because you don't eat grains, which are carb dense, does not mean your whole meal consists of bacon wrapped steaks with a side of eggs and pork chops.

I still think diets are for fags. Men pump iron. That's the truth. If you don't cut me loose here, I'm going to keep searching for ways to disprove your diet.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2013, 06:33:11 AM »
I still think diets are for fags. Men pump iron. That's the truth. If you don't cut me loose here, I'm going to keep searching for ways to disprove your diet.

I see you chose to ignore my request that you learn to read. So be it.

A "diet" can mean a limitation of the amount of food eaten along with a fixation on calorie counting down to single digits that someone follows for a prescribed amount of time in order to lose weight. This is not what I am referring to.

I am referring to a person's diet, as in the food they eat. Got it? Not a "fad" or a "system" or a "support group" or a "program".

It's very simple really.

Don't eat grains, legumes or dairy.
Eat whatever the hell else you want and as much of it as you can, although I'd say most people would be pretty hard pressed to eat a few of pounds of meat, fruits, and vegetables in one sitting.

So have at it. Go ahead and disprove my radical diet which says eat meat, vegetables and fruit and don't worry so much about the amount.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »
I see you chose to ignore my request that you learn to read. So be it.

A "diet" can mean a limitation of the amount of food eaten along with a fixation on calorie counting down to single digits that someone follows for a prescribed amount of time in order to lose weight. This is not what I am referring to.

I am referring to a person's diet, as in the food they eat. Got it? Not a "fad" or a "system" or a "support group" or a "program".

It's very simple really.

Don't eat grains, legumes or dairy.
Eat whatever the hell else you want and as much of it as you can, although I'd say most people would be pretty hard pressed to eat a few of pounds of meat, fruits, and vegetables in one sitting.

So have at it. Go ahead and disprove my radical diet which says eat meat, vegetables and fruit and don't worry so much about the amount.

Please don't try to insult me. It changes the way I think when that happens. I did read your post, buddy, and I realize your diet has carbs in it. I still think rice and bread are meant to be eaten. No potatoes no vodka. Either way, brown rice lowers your stupid glucose level anyways http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17127465. There are hundreds of other benefits for the foods you're cutting, so I say everything in moderation. If you had a proposal that a moderate amount of these should be low, I'd consider listening to you while I read your posts.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
Please don't try to insult me. It changes the way I think when that happens. I did read your post, buddy, and I realize your diet has carbs in it. I still think rice and bread are meant to be eaten. No potatoes no vodka. Either way, brown rice lowers your stupid glucose level anyways http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17127465. There are hundreds of other benefits for the foods you're cutting, so I say everything in moderation. If you had a proposal that a moderate amount of these should be low, I'd consider listening to you while I read your posts.

I didn't insult you. I merely questioned your reading comprehension skills.

Regarding the link you posted, brown rice does not lower your glucose level. It increases it. All the link proves is that brown rice increases your sugar level at a lower rate than milled rice. Okay, I agree with that but would argue that neither of them are necessarily healthy.

As for moderation, I presume you mean moderation as limiting the number of meals that you eat a particular food vs moderation as in not eating 5 lbs. of something in one sitting. Fine. If you need to eat whole wheat bread and brown rice then by all means have it in moderation. But ask yourself this. If whole wheat bread and brown rice are such necessary and healthy foods, why do you need to moderate your intake of them? The USDA food pyramid says you need to eat 6-11 servings of grains a day. The high number is for a higher calorie diet so, according to your previous posts on what you eat, you should be getting 11 servings of grains daily. Go ahead and have 11 slices of bread, or 5.5 cups of rice, or 5.5 cups of pasta, or 11 ounces of cereal a day.

Here's an excerpt from a newsletter I get. This particular article discusses the Paleo diet and under the "major disadvantages" section they write this.

"Whole Grains. Intact whole grains are an important part of an individual’s diet as they contain many nutrients including carbohydrates, protein, fiber, B vitamins, antioxidants, vitamin E and minerals. "

This would be a laughable statement if it weren't printed in a newsletter from a medical association. What does it even mean? That fruits and vegetable don't contain as many nutrients as whole grains? That you can't get all these nutrients if you don't eat whole grains?

Another quote.

"Beans and peas are some of the best sources of dietary fiber and protein, and also provide important nutrients such as iron, zinc, potassium and folate."

Really? Beans and peas are some of the best sources of protein? Better than chicken, fish and beef? As for the nutrients, aren't they present in many vegetables as well?

They go on to tout the benefits of fat-free and low-fat dairy foods, another bunch of crap. Go ahead and have some fat-free american cheese slices, which even have an American Heart Association stamp on them so they HAVE to be good for you. How can they not with such ingredients as corn syrup, modified food starch, artificial flavor, sorbic acid, artificial color, mmm, just thinking about it makes my mouth water. This is what passes for conventional medical wisdom on healthy eating today.

Lastly, I'm sure you're familiar with the scientific method. Well. this is what I basically used to come up with my current view.

1. Ask a Question
Can your diet adversely affect your health?

2. Do Background Research
Read three books, a number of articles, and spoke to three medical professionals.

3. Construct a Hypothesis
Eating the recommended amounts of grains and dairy products may be adversely affecting my health.

4. Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Eliminated grains, dairy, and legumes from my diet for one month. Ate lean meat, healthy fats, vegetables, fruit, nuts without reducing the amount of food eaten or counting calories. Did not increase my activity level.

5. Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Dropped 15 lbs. Reduced my waist size by about 3 inches. Chronic aches and pains were either eliminated or greatly reduced.

6. Communicate Your Results
Well, I'm communicating them.

So please, kindly answer two questions for me.
What caused the results I got above?
Out of the hundreds of benefits for the foods I'm cutting, can you please list 10?

---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2013, 09:08:14 AM »
I didn't insult you. I merely questioned your reading comprehension skills.

Regarding the link you posted, brown rice does not lower your glucose level. It increases it. All the link proves is that brown rice increases your sugar level at a lower rate than milled rice. Okay, I agree with that but would argue that neither of them are necessarily healthy.

As for moderation, I presume you mean moderation as limiting the number of meals that you eat a particular food vs moderation as in not eating 5 lbs. of something in one sitting. Fine. If you need to eat whole wheat bread and brown rice then by all means have it in moderation. But ask yourself this. If whole wheat bread and brown rice are such necessary and healthy foods, why do you need to moderate your intake of them? The USDA food pyramid says you need to eat 6-11 servings of grains a day. The high number is for a higher calorie diet so, according to your previous posts on what you eat, you should be getting 11 servings of grains daily. Go ahead and have 11 slices of bread, or 5.5 cups of rice, or 5.5 cups of pasta, or 11 ounces of cereal a day.

Here's an excerpt from a newsletter I get. This particular article discusses the Paleo diet and under the "major disadvantages" section they write this.

"Whole Grains. Intact whole grains are an important part of an individual’s diet as they contain many nutrients including carbohydrates, protein, fiber, B vitamins, antioxidants, vitamin E and minerals. "

This would be a laughable statement if it weren't printed in a newsletter from a medical association. What does it even mean? That fruits and vegetable don't contain as many nutrients as whole grains? That you can't get all these nutrients if you don't eat whole grains?

Another quote.

"Beans and peas are some of the best sources of dietary fiber and protein, and also provide important nutrients such as iron, zinc, potassium and folate."

Really? Beans and peas are some of the best sources of protein? Better than chicken, fish and beef? As for the nutrients, aren't they present in many vegetables as well?

They go on to tout the benefits of fat-free and low-fat dairy foods, another bunch of crap. Go ahead and have some fat-free american cheese slices, which even have an American Heart Association stamp on them so they HAVE to be good for you. How can they not with such ingredients as corn syrup, modified food starch, artificial flavor, sorbic acid, artificial color, mmm, just thinking about it makes my mouth water. This is what passes for conventional medical wisdom on healthy eating today.

Lastly, I'm sure you're familiar with the scientific method. Well. this is what I basically used to come up with my current view.

1. Ask a Question
Can your diet adversely affect your health?

2. Do Background Research
Read three books, a number of articles, and spoke to three medical professionals.

3. Construct a Hypothesis
Eating the recommended amounts of grains and dairy products may be adversely affecting my health.

4. Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
Eliminated grains, dairy, and legumes from my diet for one month. Ate lean meat, healthy fats, vegetables, fruit, nuts without reducing the amount of food eaten or counting calories. Did not increase my activity level.

5. Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
Dropped 15 lbs. Reduced my waist size by about 3 inches. Chronic aches and pains were either eliminated or greatly reduced.

6. Communicate Your Results
Well, I'm communicating them.

So please, kindly answer two questions for me.
What caused the results I got above?
Out of the hundreds of benefits for the foods I'm cutting, can you please list 10?

I'll give it to you that you have explained a diet in the least gay way ever. If rice and beans disappeared, Brazil would starve tomorrow. In the end, you have refuted my two points, and I don't feel like doing more research on it right now, so you win this round, I'll give you that. I'll google it more and be back. I knew the study was bull when I read it, but I can debate both sides of anything.

If you ever went to France, though, cheese would be impossible for you to give up. In north America there's mozzarella and cheddar, which are basically both crap. Home-made blue cheese and Camembert can't be that bad for you. Cavemen probably drank milk.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
I'll give it to you that you have explained a diet in the least gay way ever. If rice and beans disappeared, Brazil would starve tomorrow. In the end, you have refuted my two points, and I don't feel like doing more research on it right now, so you win this round, I'll give you that. I'll google it more and be back. I knew the study was bull when I read it, but I can debate both sides of anything.

If you ever went to France, though, cheese would be impossible for you to give up. In north America there's mozzarella and cheddar, which are basically both crap. Home-made blue cheese and Camembert can't be that bad for you. Cavemen probably drank milk.

You need to look at it from the perspective of food for survival vs food for optimum health. One other point regarding grains. Do not confuse the wild whole grains that were eaten as recently as 100 years ago with the genetically modified garbage that passes for grains today. Research the omega 6 vs omega 3 fatty acid imbalance of the typical American diet because of all the processed food. Look at what feeding animal by-products and grain to cattle has done to the ratio in grain fed beef. Basically, what it comes down to is that we have decided to forego healthy food for abundant food.

By the way, thanks for the complement. I do try to make all my arguments as least gay as I can.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2013, 06:30:47 PM »
As I see it, the word "diet" is misleading.  It should not be something you go on to lose weight, then go back to your regular way of eating.  Instead, think of it as a healthy way of life. 

Also LKZ, when you get to be HiWarp's age. you'll also have to adjust the way you eat.  If you don't like the word diet, then fine.   But at the age of 51, you won't be able to get away with eating the same way you do now.  So don't call HiWarp gay.  It's a fact of life for men and women as they get older. 

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »
As I see it, the word "diet" is misleading.  It should not be something you go on to lose weight, then go back to your regular way of eating.  Instead, think of it as a healthy way of life. 

Also LKZ, when you get to be HiWarp's age. you'll also have to adjust the way you eat.  If you don't like the word diet, then fine.   But at the age of 51, you won't be able to get away with eating the same way you do now.  So don't call HiWarp gay.  It's a fact of life for men and women as they get older.

Yes the part where I said "Hiwarp is gay" was very offensive.

I eat extremely healthy. I don't think that if we ban rice and beans, the world will be better off. Every food usually provides some special benefit. We should eat a bit of everything.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2013, 07:24:18 AM »
Yes the part where I said "Hiwarp is gay" was very offensive.

I eat extremely healthy. I don't think that if we ban rice and beans, the world will be better off. Every food usually provides some special benefit. We should eat a bit of everything.

First of all, I didn't consider that you ever called me "gay" in your post so don't sweat it.

Second, even if you did, I could care less. I'm a bit of a throwback (duh, at age 51) so if you insult me I don't go looking for a lawyer to sue you or a government official to ban hate speech. I just insult you back, like real men used to do before their diets were modified to consist of large amounts of estrogen laden food. If it escalates further I probably call you out and meet you somewhere to kick your butt or have my butt kicked while defending my honor. Afterwards we shake hands and go have a drink. Ahh, simpler times.

I'm not in favor of banning foods that are not good for you. Everyone has to make a personal choice as to what they want to eat. I know that refined sugar and overly processed foods are some of the worst things you can ingest but I certainly don't want to ban them. After all, if we did ban those two items, a majority of Americans would starve given that these are staples of the American diet.

Thank you Lisa. One of the (very few) advantages of getting older is that you tend to begin to care a bit more about your health. If you do your homework you will quickly find the amount of garbage that passes for healthy food today. The funny thing is that I would have probably agreed with LKZ a couple of years ago.
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »
I just practise Krav Maga. You train your body and your mind.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
First of all, I didn't consider that you ever called me "gay" in your post so don't sweat it.

Second, even if you did, I could care less. I'm a bit of a throwback (duh, at age 51) so if you insult me I don't go looking for a lawyer to sue you or a government official to ban hate speech. I just insult you back, like real men used to do before their diets were modified to consist of large amounts of estrogen laden food. If it escalates further I probably call you out and meet you somewhere to kick your butt or have my butt kicked while defending my honor. Afterwards we shake hands and go have a drink. Ahh, simpler times.

I'm not in favor of banning foods that are not good for you. Everyone has to make a personal choice as to what they want to eat. I know that refined sugar and overly processed foods are some of the worst things you can ingest but I certainly don't want to ban them. After all, if we did ban those two items, a majority of Americans would starve given that these are staples of the American diet.

Thank you Lisa. One of the (very few) advantages of getting older is that you tend to begin to care a bit more about your health. If you do your homework you will quickly find the amount of garbage that passes for healthy food today. The funny thing is that I would have probably agreed with LKZ a couple of years ago.

... ... if that's how normal people behave, then I was born in the wrong generation... comebacks and honor are some of the five deadly sins of my generation, and I get a lot of flak for keeping it up.

As for the estrogen, it's not just in foods, and an organic diet is extremely important, for that, but for more too. I am in favour of banning soy that has not gone through the proper fermentation process, which reduces estrogen, and GMOs.

I know people who only eat pizzas and processed food; no salad, no fruits, nothing that wasn't frozen. That is disgusting. I grow my own salads and have bowls with every meal and everything. I have actually used your research and am now substituting rice for veggies with carbs, which is great, but there has to be something good about rice and wheat, so its staying.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »
Has anybody seen 'Here Comes the Boom' with Bas Rutten?

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
Has anybody seen 'Here Comes the Boom' with Bas Rutten?
I have.  :::D   Isn't Bas a native of Holland?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »
I have.  :::D   Isn't Bas a native of Holland?

He's an American citizen nowadays.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »
He's an American citizen nowadays.
Bas was one of my favorite fighters.  I loved watching him in K1, Pride, ect.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.