Author Topic: Is it permitted for a man to marry his dead wife's sister?  (Read 20159 times)

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
Re: Is it permitted for a man to marry his dead wife's sister?
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »
Good points.

You have heard of Rabbi Bar-Hayim right? From Machon Shilo. I believe he proposes calling "Orthodox Judaism" Halahic Judaism (at least according to the WikiPedia page about him).
Since the term "Orthodox Judaism" came about in response to the other movements such as reform. Before that Judaism was just Judaism. I happen to agree with him, though it would be virtually impossible to change anything now since people group Judaism as "reform" "masorti/conservative" and "Orthodox". I happen to feel... "reform" and "conservatives" have their own ideas, they can call themselves whatever they want, but Judaism...the same one Moshe Rabbeinu brought us, that King David followed that the Prophets followed...THAT is real Judaism. My friend actually told me he went to a religious forum at his college and there were three men speaking on behalf of Judaism. One reform, one conservative and one Haredi. The reform man said "I am rabbi so and so and I am a Reform Jew" the other man said "I am rabbi so and so and I am a Conservative Jew" lastly, the religious rabbi said (with a pleasant smile under his black hat) "I am rabbi so and so, and I am a Jew".

Your point just reminded me of that because I had recently heard about calling Judaism "Halahic Judaism" and then you mentioned people who claim their Orthodoxy to the Hattam Sofer.

I'm sorry I've gone off topic.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2013, 01:52:18 AM »
Or Torah Judaism.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2013, 01:57:07 AM »
Or Torah Judaism.

Yes, Torah Judaism. I like to use that, Halahic Judaism too.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2013, 10:49:31 AM »
Israeliheart since you mentioned Rav Bar-Hayim and mentioned reincarnation earlier, check this out by him on reincarnation.

http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/list-ask-the-rav/31-general/404-is-reincarnation-a-jewish-belief-
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2013, 10:57:01 AM »
Also (a lot can be said on the Zohar) but here for the lazy and those who do not like to read. Watch this short video for starters.

4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2013, 01:15:31 PM »
Tag,

I was already aware of everything which Rabbi Wein said in this video and it still doesn't prove anything. These discussions have been held for 100s of years and at this point, as Rabbi Wein admitted himself, the Zohar has become an integral part of much of Judaism today. As one who considers himself a Chassidic Jew I attribute Holiness to the Zohar and the derivative writings on the topics expounded within. So too does the Sephardic community attribute Holiness to the Zohar.

There are various opinions on the topic and yet this will not change the situation. From what little Zohar I have directly studied I cannot find anything which does not compute with the Tanach and Talmud.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »
That's fine, I don't have to agree with Rabbi Ber-Hayim on everything. I love to hear him speak. But Rabbi Mizrachi is my rabbi, whom I have met in person. Whom I have listened in person and whom I have received guidance from. I personally accept the Gilgul. True, I tend to lean more to Chassidut as well. Though he is not Chassidic, I attend a shul where the rabbi and his family are Chassidic.
I admire the sages who have made a study of this as well. "Measure for measure" as it is said.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2013, 10:04:41 PM »
I have stupid question? How many souls would there be if G-d keeps creating souls? I thought that there was a certain number of soul that make  it to heaven? I'm pretty sure it says somewhere that Ezekiel will come back. Also Flavius Josephus recorded that the Pharisees and Essenes believed in reincarnation...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2013, 11:24:05 PM »
I have stupid question? How many souls would there be if G-d keeps creating souls? I thought that there was a certain number of soul that make  it to heaven? I'm pretty sure it says somewhere that Ezekiel will come back. Also Flavius Josephus recorded that the Pharisees and Essenes believed in reincarnation...

???

1) As many as G-D allows their to be. If G-D is limitless why would their be any issues with the number of souls (or people) created and living? Just like their are now 7 Billion people (or something like that).
 2) No "limit". Its not like buying tickets that can get sold out. If everyone is righteous then great if very few then very few.
 3) Come back in the Resurrection? Correct, although I don't know anywhere where it singles him out. Nothing to do with "reincarnation"
 4) I am almost sure he did not record such a thing, certainly not the "Pharisees" which means Torah Judaism. I would like the quoting for such a claim. This idea didn't even circulate among Jews at that time ~2,000 years ago.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2013, 12:12:19 AM »

???

1) As many as G-D allows their to be. If G-D is limitless why would their be any issues with the number of souls (or people) created and living? Just like their are now 7 Billion people (or something like that).
 2) No "limit". Its not like buying tickets that can get sold out. If everyone is righteous then great if very few then very few.
 3) Come back in the Resurrection? Correct, although I don't know anywhere where it singles him out. Nothing to do with "reincarnation"
 4) I am almost sure he did not record such a thing, certainly not the "Pharisees" which means Torah Judaism. I would like the quoting for such a claim. This idea didn't even circulate among Jews at that time ~2,000 years ago.

Tag,

Indeed there is a belief that there are 600,000 Male Jewish souls which are the root souls of the entire Jewish nation. It is these souls which constitute the sparks of the Jewish souls alive today.

http://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/380372/jewish/600000-Souls-600000-Letters.htm

The word "Israel" can be read as an acronym for "Yesh Shishim Ribo Otiot LaTorah", meaning: "There are six hundred thousand letters in the Torah". Therefore, Israel did not leave Egypt until there were six hundred thousand of them, in order for each soul to be "supported" by one letter in the Torah, as we have written in a number of places.

We see that G-d overlooks many serious sins but He does not overlook negligence in Torah study, as is written, "Why was the land lost? G-d has said, 'Because of their forsaking My Torah.'" (Jeremiah 9:11-12) Even though they transgressed all of the sins, G-d only accused them of negligence in Torah study. As our Sages have said regarding the verse "the voice is the voice of Jacob": (Gen. 27:22) when the voice is the voice of Jacob, that is, of Torah study, then the hands are not the those of Esau, that is, the forces of evil are powerless. But when the voice is not that of Jacob, then the hands are that of Esau and the forces of impurity dominate. Our Sages likewise explained that the reason that "Amalek came and fought with Israel at Refidim" (Ex. 17:18) was that their hands had slackened from the Torah. [This is derived from the word "Refidim" which has as its root the Hebrew word "rafa", meaning "slackening".]

Since the name "Israel" alludes to the fact that the number of letters in the Torah corresponds to the number of souls, it follows that when the Jewish People come to count their souls [take a census], the accuser comes and accuses them saying, "Master of the universe, didn't Israel only reach this size population in order to match the number of letters in the Torah which are hinted at in their name? And now they are negligent in [the Torah]!" This becomes the substance of the accusation. Israel…should awaken their fear of Heaven in order to repair their souls and spirits…

Furthermore, the word "negef", meaning "a scourge", has the same numerological value as 'Satan', the Angel of Destruction, short two. ["Negef" equals 133, while "Samael" equals 131.] The missing two allude to the two Torahs (Oral and Written). When Israel are lax in the two Torahs, two powers are added to those of the forces of evil, and it becomes "negef", a scourge, and afflicts them, G-d forbid.

http://www.aish.com/tp/i/moha/48924507.html
Each time the people are counted, the result is 600,000, more or less; in fact, the number 600,000 has become a descriptive term for the totality of the Jewish people. On a mystical level, the number 600,000 is identified with the number of souls comprising the Nation of Israel. The Talmud teaches that the arrival of the Messiah will transpire when all these souls are "complete."

The son of David will not come until all the souls in the body are complete. (Yevamot 62a)

In fact, the source goes even further, implying that the Nation of Israel is one body with 600,000 parts. That poses one obvious problem: virtually every generation from the Exodus onward outnumbers 600,000, yet this number is still used to describe the totality of the Jewish people.

Even in the desert there were more than 600,000 people; there, the number 600,000 refers to the number of men between the ages of 20 and 60. All others were not included in the tally. Are we to assume that others -- men over 60 or under 20, or women -- were of no significance?

The Zohar carries this numeric parallel even further, stating that there are 600,000 letters in the Torah which are meant to parallel the 600,000 souls. (See Zohar Hadash Shir HaShirim 74d.)

Another mystical source, the Migaleh Amukot, expands on this idea:

Every one of Israel has for his soul one letter of the 600,000 letters of the Torah ... Indeed, Israel is an acronym for yesh shishim ribo otiyot laTorah, "there are 600,000 letters in the Torah." (Section 186)

One difficulty which arises with these teachings is the fact that when the letters of the Torah are counted, there are found to be only 304,805, only slightly more than half of the number we expected to find. One way of resolving this contradiction would be to cite another mystical tradition which is found in the introduction to the Ramban's Commentary to the Torah (for the actual source see Yerushalmi Shkalim 6:1) which refers to a primordial Torah which preceded the creation of the world which was written in black and white fire.

The number of souls has nothing to do with a limitation on G-d but rather a part of the creation.

And there is a Talmudic source for the statement that Pinchas is Elijah, who is a prophet and an angel (Elijah the prophet never died).

http://www.bethisraelct.org/page.asp?pageID=%7B482EEFA0-3BC3-46CD-AC59-4F88AABB91DE%7D&displayAll=1

Pinchas and Elijah the Prophet
Question:

There is a midrash that states that Pinchas and Elijah the Prophet are the same person.  What is the meaning of this?

Answer:

The same soul descended to the world twice -- once in the body of Pinchas and once in the body of Elijah.

According to the Midrash, Pinchas and Elijah the Prophet are the same person.  The simplest meaning is that the same soul descended to the world twice -- once in the body of Pinchas and once in the body of Elijah.

The same statement can be found in a number of places in Midrash.  What is interesting is that "Pinchas is Elijah" and "Elijah is Pinchas" are written interchangeably.  When Pinchas is being discussed, the Midrash says that Pinchas is Elijah.  When Elijah is being discussed, the Midrash says that Elijah is Pinchas.

Since Elijah the Prophet lived hundreds of years after Pinchas, it would apparently make more sense to say that "Elijah is Pinchas", and not the reverse.  After all, Pinchas lived before Elijah, and was Pinchas before he was Elijah.

According to an explanation in the Zohar, the soul of Elijah was actually created during the Six Days of Creation.  He has existed ever since as an angel, but on occasion, he descends to the world in human form, born of a mother and father.

This is why the Midrash sometimes uses the phrase "Pinchas is Elijah", even though Pinchas was born first.  The essence, the soul of Elijah existed before Pinchas was born.

Elijah and Pinchas led similar lives and their paths complement each other.  Pinchas is a symbol of zealousness for G-d and His commandments.  He displayed self-sacrifice to prevent G-d's name from being desecrated.  Elijah the Prophet is a guest at every circumcision, to witness the Jewish People imprint their bond with G-d in their flesh.

Through our single-minded commitment to fulfilling G-d's will, as epitomized by the deeds of Pinchas and Elijah, we will merit the ultimate Redemption, which will be heralded by Elijah the Prophet, who is Pinchas.

(Bereishis 1:20.  Yalkut Simoni, Pinchas.  Zohar, 3:15,1.  Igrot Kodesh, vol. III, p. 160.  Likutei Sichot vol II, p. 343.)

So Tag, it seems it is not so clear as you suggest it is. Unless you disregard a lot of sources, both Talmudic and Kabbalistic (not only Zohar).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
Dude I glanced through it, all from the Talmud they mentioned was some ideas and then they injected their own beliefs into it. Most of the quotes I saw was from the Zohar. Bring me clear quotes from the Talmudh. I dont want to read article after article you bring only to find extremely short things NOT having to do what I even discussed or asked.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
Elijah is who I meant. Isn't Elijah suppose to come before the Messiah? Doesn't the Messiah need to be here before the dead can be resurrected? How would Elijah get here?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2013, 09:49:48 PM »
Elijah is who I meant. Isn't Elijah suppose to come before the Messiah? Doesn't the Messiah need to be here before the dead can be resurrected? How would Elijah get here?

Elijah never died....

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/84902/jewish/What-is-Prophecy.htm

Does prophecy exist today?

The era of prophecy officially came to an end some 23 centuries ago. The last generation of prophets were those who began to prophecy before the First Holy Temple was destroyed in 423 BCE, though a number of that generation survived the 70-year Babylonian exile and lived to see the building of the Second Temple. Most famously, Ezekiel prophesied in Babylonia, and three prophets, Chaggai, Zachariah and Malachi, were members of the "Great Assembly" that led the people in the first years of the return from Babylon. Mordechai and Esther were also members of the long-lived generation that mourned the destruction of the First Temple and witnessed the building of the second. With the demise of that generation, "prophecy departed from Israel."

Nevertheless, the principle that "G-d communicates to mankind through prophecy" remains a foundation of the Jewish faith. A lesser form of prophecy, known as ruach hakodesh (divine inspiration), remains the province of the tzaddikim, the righteous men and women of all generations. According to tradition, one of the greatest prophets, Elijah, never died, and will herald the coming of the Moshiach. Moshiach himself is a prophet ("approaching the prophecy of Moses" according to Maimonides), and in the messianic era, prophecy will become a universal phenomenon -- in the words of the prophet Joel, "And it shall come to pass afterwards that I will pour out My spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and daughters shall prophecy; your elders shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions." And in a letter to the Jews of Yemen, Maimonides recounts an age-old tradition that "shortly before the messianic era, prophecy will return to the Jewish people."

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2013, 12:05:47 AM »
Yes, Torah Judaism. I like to use that, Halahic Judaism too.

Or real Judaism. Or just plain Judaism. If something is not Torah or Halachic, it can't be Judaism.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:52 AM »

Or real Judaism. Or just plain Judaism. If something is not Torah or Halachic, it can't be Judaism.
Or else Authentic Judaism.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2013, 12:13:50 AM »
The REAL thing....

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2013, 12:13:54 AM »
Or as Rav Kahane said: The Authentic Jewish Idea,

http://www.jewtube.info/2010/10/jewish-idea-of-rabbi-rav-meir-kahane.html