Author Topic: What should be a Kahanist response to Shas leader's anti-knitted kipa remarks?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
For background see the article in the link below
http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/American-Orthodox-community-condemns-Shas-rabbis-comments-against-national-religious-320059
Shas is very mad at the Bayit Yehudi party headed by knitted Kipa wearer Naftali Bennet.
They see big budget cuts to the yeshivas, the threat of charedis being secularized by the draft and an overly lenient attitude towards who we will accept as a convert, by some of the Bayit Yehudi leadership.
For this and other reasons one of the Shas leaders R. Shalom Cohen made extremely nasty statements against the community that wears a knitted kipa.
A day after much criticism, he slightly limited who he said he intended to insult, but even his limitation still left the insult on much too many knitted Kipa wearers and his limitation was not said with sufficient force to convince all Shas supporters that he indeed retracted from his general condemnation of knitted Kipa wearers.
It also needs further investigation, what red lines really have to be crossed before calling even someone like Bennet, evil names.
The question is how should Kahanists react?
On the one hand on some of the individual issues raised by Shas, Kahanists might to some degree side with them. On the other hand, Rabbi Kahane himself wore a black knitted Kipa and Shas to some degree is responsible for being shut out of the government for bringing back Oslo criminal R. Aryeh Deri as their leader. Deri still wants to make more phoney peace treaties, destroy settlements and promotes actions that strengthen our Arab enemies, thus endangering Jews.
Still another issue to consider is that both Shas and Bayit Yehudi have condemned some Jewish Kahanist heroes in the past. Perhaps this is a reason to let them fight and not get ourselves involved.
One final point, charedi incitement against other charedis who do serve in the army has led to outright physical attacks against those charedi soldiers.
Perhaps if anti-knitted kipa incitement is not stopped in time the same type of attacks could take place against individuals wearing knitted kipas?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Not speaking from a Kahanist view but my own...

I am very angry at what was said concerning the religious zionists, of which I consider myself one. Besides being a 'knitted kippah' wearer myself (by choice) I took insult at what was said. Even if he just meant the visible leaders of the 'religious zionist' party in the government it still was an insult to those who voted for these supposed right-wing parties.

When it comes down to it the only way to turn away my feelings would be for the Rabbi to get off his high horse and apologize to those he insulted, and not just lip service. What the Rabbi did in the days before Tish B'Av appeared as a Chillul Hashem to me and an example of why we have not been able to rebuild the Holy Temple. Just as the sages said, one religious Jew will lash out at another religious Jew for what appear to be difference of opinion concerning the Holy Land. I believe Shas is compromised when it comes to deciding 'land for peace' issues and thus believe that the only path to follow would be annexation of the territories and justifying it legally with the Levi Report.

But I am interested in hearing others opinions.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Hava

• New JTFer
Forgive me for not being more informed, but what exactly is the big deal about 'knitted kippa wearers'? Is is just an insult of some sort directed towards some specific denomination, or a general insult to all who aren't as strict as some groups happen to be?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Forgive me for not being more informed, but what exactly is the big deal about 'knitted kippa wearers'? Is is just an insult of some sort directed towards some specific denomination, or a general insult to all who aren't as strict as some groups happen to be?

Jews have self-identified according to the type of Kippah (Head covering) they wear.

The 'Knitted-Kippot' generally indicates that a man aligns with the 'National Religious' or 'Religious Zionist' ideology...

This Rabbi insulted a great number of Religious Zionists by calling us Amalek (the eternal enemies of the Jewish people).

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/modern_zionism/

Today the Mizrachi movement has evolved into the religious -nationalist movement Israel, whose adherents wear knitted kippot (skullcaps) and comprise the vast majority of the religiously right-wing settler movement.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippah

Often the color and fabric of the kippah can be a sign of adherence to a specific religious movement. Knitted or crocheted kippot, known as kippot serugot, tend to be worn by Religious Zionists and the Modern Orthodox,[16] who also wear suede or leather kippot.

Members of most Haredi groups usually wear black velvet or cloth kippot. In general, the larger the kippah, the more traditional the wearer tends to be.[17] By contrast, the smaller the kippah, the more modern and liberal the person is.[18]

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Rabbi Shalom Cohen of Shas is continuing his verbal attacks
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/article.php?p=179561

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Rabbi Shalom Cohen of Shas is continuing his verbal attacks
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/article.php?p=179561

Was that before or after?
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Who cares?
Shas is irrelevant.
B"H they are no longer in the government so they have no power.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Tag-MehirTzedek asked

Was that before or after?
According to news reports this latest attack is after the Amalek comment.