Author Topic: Why is the new Sephardic Chief Rabbi not wearing the getup?  (Read 657 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Is it perhaps he is just a proxy for his father Rav Ovadia & he is the one calling all the shots?
I find it strange that every Sephardi Chief Rabbi in the history of the rabbanut including Rav Ovadia Yosef wore the traditional dress of the Rishon "L'Tzion & Rav Ovadia's son Rav Yitzchak Yosef Y is not keeping that tradition but dressing like a Litvak.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Why is the new Sephardic Chief Rabbi not wearing the getup?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
This is a non-issue. Get over it.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 10:02:45 AM »
This is a non-issue. Get over it.
Not necessarilly it could have a meaning,but perhaps it means nothing & once he is installed he he perhaps might wear the getup like all his predecessors did.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
If your Chabad dont you dress like that? Or at least most do as did your previous Rebbe.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
If your Chabad dont you dress like that? Or at least most do as did your previous Rebbe.
That is not the point & Chassidim in Lubavitch outside Jerusalem did not wear a shtreimel only the previous Rebbe & his predcessors did however the last Rebbe did not wear one because his mother in law did not want to give him the shtreimel as well as the fact he felt he wasn't worthy to fill his father in laws shoes & had to be pushed by the chassidim to accept.
Besides Rav Yaakov Yosef is a Sephardi & the tradition is to wear that levush for the rabbanut in Israel for Sephardim.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 12:02:36 PM »
What streimal? I was talking about black and white and black hat (as you are commenting on that) and I dont see Rav Yakov Yosef wearing a streimal either.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »
I dont get it, people were giving Rabbi Ovadia Yosef $%^& for dressing the way he does now and when he was Chief Rabbi, also Rabbi Amar saying all sorts of things against it, now this Rav dresses differently and he is supposed to be asked and challenged of why he doesn't dress that other way? What choice does he have not to be criticized? Should he walk around naked in order to not offend anybody?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »
I dont get it, people were giving Rabbi Ovadia Yosef $%^& for dressing the way he does now and when he was Chief Rabbi, also Rabbi Amar saying all sorts of things against it, now this Rav dresses differently and he is supposed to be asked and challenged of why he doesn't dress that other way? What choice does he have not to be criticized? Should he walk around naked in order to not offend anybody?

Chas v'chalila.
Anyway I davened maariv tonight by the Sephardim & asked about this & people in the know told me of course he will wear the levush he just has not yet been installed that after he is officially installed he will wear the levush,besides it is not like you can get if off the rack it has to be custom made.
The question is moot & this no longer a topic or question.