Author Topic: Rabbi Nachman of Breslav's Stories  (Read 2922 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rabbi Nachman of Breslav's Stories
« on: August 14, 2013, 01:28:21 AM »
Rabbi Nachman of Breslav is considered one of the great Chassidic Rabbis who started a school of Chassidus which is living and thriving today. Rabbi Nachman wrote a lot of books during his short life. One of the most famous works of Rabbi Nachmans is his book of 13 Stories. I actually have a hard-cover edition of Rabbi Nachmans stories on my bookshelf (which I read from time to time during my travels).

The stories of Rabbi Nachman contained very deep secrets of Torah, and through the technique of parable he is capable of teaching the most simple Jew the deepest secrets.

Rabbi Steinsaltz, a great Talmudic scholar, has nothing but good things to say about Rabbi Nachmans stories:

http://www.steinsaltz.org/content.php?pg=Understanding%20Rabbi%20Nachman&ID=67

Q: Rabbi Steinsaltz, you have written that "Nachman's stories include highly compressed and clearly defined Torah teachings - expressed in literary form." What is the advantage of this approach? Why doesn't Rabbi Nachman just state his ideas? Doesn't the "story" approach run a greater risk of misinterpretation?

A: Rabbi Nachman himself explained why he chose this particular format of storytelling, rather than direct statements of Torah teaching. In order to absorb knowledge and a message from well-constructed and direct Torah teaching, one has first of all to be knowledgeable to a certain extent. More than that, one has to make a conscious effort to learn while one hears any direct statements. At the same time, one has to have a willingness to accept what one hears. Rabbi Nachman stated in his symbolic form that the stories he was telling were even for people who had been sleeping, in a way, for seventy years, meaning that the message in the stories somehow gets to them, even when they are not consciously thinking about it as a teaching. Rabbi Nachman avoids the possibility of evoking antagonism from the reader who might react to or be unable to accept direct statements. His stories seep in and later on do the work. Because of that, even though the stories can be misunderstood, somehow the inner content does not get lost, and afterward, in one way or another, it has some impact on the reader.

Q: What do you mean when you write that Rabbi Nachman's stories contain "layer upon layer of unrevealed symbolic meaning?" Can't one say that all stories have these layers, or was Rabbi Nachman conscious of these layers as he was constructing his tales?

A: When I say that Rabbi Nachman's stories contain layers of symbolic meaning, I mean that these layers are conscious layers of the creator of the tales, rather than the unconscious work that people do with symbols somehow embedded in their minds. In many cases, the symbolic meaning that one may attach to a story is rather an illusion of the reader, the interpreter. In the case of Rabbi Nachman stories, the several layers of meaning are consciously put in by the author, and therefore they are not just literary interpretations, but rather a way of understanding what the stories are all about.

Here is a great video of a Rebbetzin Silver doing a brief introduct and reading several of the stories... The video is over 1 hour...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Rabbi Nachman of Breslav's Stories
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 01:31:51 AM »
Each of Rabbi Nachmans stories are available to listen to, or download, from this great site:

http://www.breslovtorah.com/section/rabbi-nachmans-stories/
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:33:51 AM »
This is the book which I have:

Translated and annotated by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan

Our Sages told stories to convey the deepest secrets about God and His relationship to the world. Rebbe Nachman expertly plied this ancient art to create some of the most intriguing stories and parables ever told. More elaborate than any previous teachings, the Rebbe's allegorical stories are fast-moving, richly-structured and deeply insightful, while containing all the ingredients of a marvelously entertaining read. Rabbi Kaplan's running commentary, drawn from the writings of Rebbe Nachman's students, gives English-speaking readers access to authentic interpretations of these stories for the first time.

Hardcover. 552 pages. Bibliography and Index.

Size: 6" x 9" 

http://www.breslov.org/bookstore/rebbe-nachman-39-s-works/rabbi-nachman-39-s-stories/prod_45.html

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 01:58:58 AM »
Thank you for sharing this treasure, Muman!!!!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
Thank you for sharing this treasure, Muman!!!!

Your welcome IsraeliHeart. I hope to post more stories tonight..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/612171/jewish/The-Chicken-Prince.htm

The Chicken Prince
Who Are You?

Rabbi Nachman of Breslov often related the following parable:

There was once a prince who lived with his father and mother, the king and queen, in a splendid fashion. He received the finest education and upbringing.

To his parents' chagrin, one day the prince went through an identity crisis and came to the conclusion that he was really a turkey and not a human being.

Initially, the king and queen thought he was kidding. However, after he stopped joining them at the royal table and instead, moved under the table and sat there naked and pecking at crumbs, they knew that serious trouble was afoot.

Needless to say, the prince's strange behavior caused indescribable angst for his loving parents, and intense embarrassment for the royal family at large. The king was ready to spare no expense for the person who could cure his son. The finest doctors and psychiatrists of the land came and tried to cure the prince, all to no avail.

The king was at a loss until a gentle-looking wise man came to the palace. "I hereby offer to cure the prince free of charge," declared the man. "My only condition is that no one interferes with anything I do."

Intrigued and desperate, the king and queen readily agreed.

The following day, the prince had company under the table. It was the wise man. "What are you doing here?" asked the turkey prince.

"Why are you here?" countered the man.

"I am a turkey," responded the prince emphatically.

"Well, I am also a turkey," the man replied. With that, he began to gobble like a turkey and peck at the crumbs on the floor. The prince was convinced. A few days passed in this fashion.

One morning, the wise man signaled to the king to bring him a shirt. He said to the prince, “I don’t see any reason a turkey can’t wear a shirt.” The prince thought about it and agreed, and soon the two of them were wearing shirts.

Soon the wise man asked to be brought a pair of pants. He said to the prince, “Is it forbidden for turkeys to wear pants? Certainly not!” The prince thought it over and agreed, and soon the two of them were wearing pants.

So the process continued. Shortly thereafter, the wise man convinced the turkey prince that it was not forbidden for turkeys to eat human food, which was surely tastier. Then came sitting at the table and enjoying human conversation. Within a short time, the turkey prince, although still maintaining that he was a turkey, began conducting himself exactly like a regular person.

Fortunately, most of us don't suffer from turkey complexes. But here's a question we can all ask of ourselves: Am I limiting my potential because of my self perception?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »
http://www.hasidicstories.com/Stories/Nachman_of_Bratslav/yekel.html

The Treasure under the Bridge

adapted by Gedaliah Fleer
from the stories of Rebbe Nachman

There was once a poor, G-d fearing Jew who lived in the city of Prague. One night he dreamt that he should journey to Vienna. There, at the base of a bridge leading to the King's palace, he would find a buried treasure.

Night after night the dream recurred until, leaving his family behind, he traveled to Vienna to claim his fortune. The bridge, however, was heavily guarded. The watchful eyes of the King's soldiers afforded little opportunity to retrieve the treasure. Every day the poor Jew spent hours pacing back and forth across the bridge waiting for his chance.

After two weeks time one of the guards grabbed him by the lapels of his coat and demanded gruffly, "Jew! What are you plotting? Why do you keep returning to this place day after, day?" Frustrated and anxious, he blurted out the story of his dream. When he finished, the soldier, who had been containing his mirth, broke into uncontrollable laughter.

The poor Jew looked on in astonishment, not knowing what to make of the man's attitude. Finally, the King's guard caught his breath. He stopped laughing long enough to say, "What a foolish Jew you are believing in dreams. Why, if I let my life be guided by visions, I would be well on my way to the city of Prague. For just last night I dreamt that a poor Jew in that city has, buried in his cellar, a treasure which awaits discovery."

The poor Jew returned home. He dug in his cellar and found the fortune. Upon reflection he thought, the treasure was always in my.possession. Yet, I had to travel to Vienna to know of its existence.

So too, in our time, many spiritually impoverished Jews travel in search... finally returning to Judaism to claim what was always their own.

PS: I had a dream when I was a child which was very similar to this. At the time I was going through a problem caused by the loss of my 'teddy bear' and in a dream I searched the entire world for my teddy bear (I was 10-12 years old at the time)... After searching far and wide for my lost bear I returned home to find the bear under my very own bed. The moral I learned from this dream is similar to the conclusion of Rabbi Nachmans story.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
I have heard this story from a number of Rabbis over the years. A very interesting tale...

http://www.hasidicstories.com/Stories/Nachman_of_Bratslav/sword_wood.html

The Sword of Wood

retold by Doug Lipman

There was once a king who loved nothing better than to go out alone in the clothes of a commoner. He wanted to meet the ordinary people of his kingdom--to learn their way of life, and especially their way of thinking about the world. One night, this king found himself walking in the poorest, narrowest street of the city. This was the street of the Jews. He heard a song in the distance. The king thought, "A song sung in this place of poverty must be a lament!" But as he got closer, he could hear the true character of the song: it was a song of pride! "Bai-yum-dum, bai-yum-bai, yum-bai, bai...."

The king was drawn to the source of the song: the smallest, humblest shack on that street. He knocked on the door. "Is a stranger welcome here?"

The voice from within said, "A stranger is G-d's gift. Come in!"

In the dim light inside, the king saw a man sitting on the only piece of furniture, a wooden box. When the king came in, the man stood up and sat on the floor, offering the king the crate for a seat.

"Well, my friend," the king asked, "what do you do to earn a living?"

"Oh, I am a cobbler."

"You have a shop where you make shoes?"

"Oh, no, I could not afford a shop. I take my box of tools--you are sitting on it--to the side of the road. There I repair shoes for people as they need them."

"You cobble shoes by the side of the road? Can you make enough money that way?"

The cobbler spoke with both humility and pride. "Every day, I make just enough money to buy food for that day."

"Just enough for one day? Aren't you afraid that one day you won't make enough, and then you'll go hungry?"

"Blessed be G-d, day by day."

The next day, the king determined to put this man's philosophy to the test. He issued a proclamation that anyone wishing to cobble shoes by the side of the road must purchase a license for fifty pieces of gold.

That night, the king returned to the street of the Jews. Again he heard a song in the distance, and thought, "This time, the cobbler will be singing a different tune." But when the king neared the house he heard the cobbler sing the same song. Worse, it was even longer, with a new phrase that soared joyfully: "Ah, ha-ah-ah, ah-hah, ah-hah, ah-yai."

The king knocked on the door. "Oh, my friend, I heard about that wicked king and his proclamation. I was so worried about you. Were you able to eat today?"

"Oh, I was angry when I heard I could not make my living in the way I always have. But I knew: I am entitled to make a living and I will find a way. As I stood there saying those very words to myself, a group of people passed me by. When I asked them where they were going, they told me: into the forest to gather fire wood. Every day, they bring back wood to sell as kindling. When I asked if I could join them, they said, 'There is a whole forest out there. Come along!'

"And so I gathered fire wood. At the end of the day, I was able to sell it for just enough money to buy food for today."

The king sputtered. "Just enough for one day? What about tomorrow? What about next week?"

The next day, the king again returned to his throne, and issued a new proclamation: anyone caught gathering firewood in the royal forest would be inducted into the royal guard. For good measure, he issued another: no new members of the royal guard would be paid for forty days.

That night, the king returned to the street of the Jews. Amazed, he heard the same song! But now, it had a third part that was militant and determined: "Dee, dee, dee, dee-dee, dee-dee, dah...."

The king knocked on the door. "Cobbler, what happened to you today?"

"They made me stand at attention all day in the royal guard! They issued me a sword and a scabbard. But then they told me I wouldn't be paid for forty days!"

"Oh, my friend, I bet you wish now that you had saved some money."

"Well, let me tell you what I did. At the end of the day, I looked at that metal sword blade. I thought to myself, that must be valuable! So I removed the blade from the handle, and fashioned another blade of wood. When the sword is in the scabbard, no one can tell the difference. I took the metal blade to a pawnbroker, and I pawned it for just enough money to buy food for one day."

The king was stunned. "What if there's a sword inspection tomorrow?"

The next day, the cobbler was pulled out of line in the king's guard. He was presented with a prisoner in chains.

"Cobbler, this man has committed a horrible crime. You are to take him to the square. Using your sword, you are to behead him."

"Behead him? I'm an observant Jew. I couldn't take another human life."

"If you do not, we'll kill both of you."

The cobbler led this poor, trembling man into the square, where a crowd had gathered to watch the execution. The cobbler put the prisoner's head on the chopping block. He stood tall, his hand on the handle of his sword. Facing the crowd, he spoke.

"Let G-d be my witness: I am no murderer! If this man is guilty as charged, let my sword be as always. But if he is innocent, let my sword turn to wood!"

He pulled his sword. The people gasped when they saw the wooden blade. They bowed down at the great miracle that had happened there.

The king, who had been watching all of this, came over to the cobbler. He took him by both his hands, and looked him deep in the eyes. "I am the king. And I am your friend who has visited you these last nights. I want you to come live with me in the palace and be my advisor. Please teach me how to live like that--one day at a time."

Then, in front of everyone, the two of them danced and sang: "Bai-yum-dum, bai-yum-bai, yum-bai, bai...."