Author Topic: Linux "blender"  (Read 2092 times)

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Linux "blender"
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »
anyone ever use "blender" on any platform to edit/merge videos?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Linux "blender"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:56:20 PM »
anyone ever use "blender" on any platform to edit/merge videos?

You know that I have been working with Blender for a while here generating the 3d Logo. Blender does have a very complex video compositing and editing system.

Blender works find on Ubuntu 12.04 (which I run at home) and also on Ubuntu 10.04 (which I run at work). I have seen tutorial videos made on Windows so I know it runs there too.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »

Note, the latest stable Blender is version 2.68...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »
Thanks M.
Great video. Now that I know what the "innnernet" is...
 :crazy:
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
M I found the next installment of the previous video:

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »
Once you mastered the mouse you may feel ready to attempt video editing in your new Blender installation...

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 05:07:07 AM »
M I found the next installment of the previous video:

Three buttons are too complicated. You should start with a one button mouse.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:19:02 PM »
I have used blender but for my purposes (simple, my skill level does not permit complex graphics) there are others I use. Kino, PiTiVi, and avidemux I have used and like.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »
I have used blender but for my purposes (simple, my skill level does not permit complex graphics) there are others I use. Kino, PiTiVi, and avidemux I have used and like.

I have been using 'OpenShot' to create the montage music videos on my youTube page... I use avidemux to cut and transcode existing videos (I don't think it qualifies as a full-featured video editor). I have looked at PiTiVi also...

http://www.openshot.org/

OpenShot Video Editor is a free, open-source video editor for Linux licensed under the GPL version 3.0.

OpenShot can take your videos, photos, and music files and help you create the film you have always dreamed of. Easily add sub-titles, transitions, and effects, and then export your film to DVD, YouTube, Vimeo, Xbox 360, and many other common formats.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 05:51:18 AM »
One of the only things that keeps me from running Linux (Mint KDE) on my main machine is the lack of professional video editing software. I do hope they keep working on this genre of software applications. OpenShot really doesn't have a lot of the features I need, and Blender just is not the same as Sony Vegas, Corel VideoStudio Pro, Serif MoviePlus or similar products on Windows.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »
You can run them all.
Install virtualbox.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
You can run them all.
Install virtualbox.
I don't think it is practical since video editing software requires lots of GPU, CPU and  RAM resources.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »
I don't think it is practical since video editing software requires lots of GPU, CPU and  RAM resources.

in that case he can reverse it.
windows host.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
It's just not the same running Linux in a VM. That, I have tried already. But it's a good suggestion.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »
I have one intel i7 I forget which specific model.
32GB ram and many 2TB hard drives.

The host OS is linux - headless.

On it I have:
*some webservers, DNS servers, email, etc...
* win 98/nt/2000 and a few XPs, 1 win7 and 1 win8
*some test vms

The machine is on at all times.

I do all my work from a remote RDP remote desktop.
I also remote in to my work computer thru one of my vms.

Why would I do this?

I can use any device as the "head".

So that I can be on one vm from one desktop to another to my tablet to the cyber cafe to my mother's house.
See?
The headless host uses anywhere from 60 to 90 watts (that I've seen on a meter).

It also pays back because I'm hosting web and email on that same machine.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
I have one intel i7 I forget which specific model.
32GB ram and many 2TB hard drives.

The host OS is linux - headless.

On it I have:
*some webservers, DNS servers, email, etc...
* win 98/nt/2000 and a few XPs, 1 win7 and 1 win8
*some test vms

The machine is on at all times.

I do all my work from a remote RDP remote desktop.
I also remote in to my work computer thru one of my vms.

Why would I do this?

I can use any device as the "head".

So that I can be on one vm from one desktop to another to my tablet to the cyber cafe to my mother's house.
See?
The headless host uses anywhere from 60 to 90 watts (that I've seen on a meter).

It also pays back because I'm hosting web and email on that same machine.
How do you install such a configuration- Is that a "bare metal hypervisor" ? Which one do you use ?

Can each "head" can run on your configuration almost as fast as a native OS ?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »
In a previous thread I indicated that for my uses VirtualBox is a great solution.

It can run 'headless' or with a window which is displayed on the desktop. If used headless it can be connected to via RDP protocol. I have about 10 virtual machines with several versions of Linux and Windows.

1) CentOS
2) Debian
3) Fedora Core 11-12
4) Ubuntu 8,10,12
5) Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7
6) SystemRescue CD

I support software which is targeted for both Linux and Windows (using the wxWidgets cross-platform library). So I have to build my projects on several Linux configurations and for Windows and for both 32 and 64 bit systems.

At work I use an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU (Q9400) running @ 2.66Ghz... At home I have an i7 with 32 gigs of ram running an Ubuntu 12.10 linux distro...

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »
Some of the drawbacks to a VM is lack of multi-monitor support (I have an old monitor I use as a second and it helps tremendously when making videos and programming) and the obvious graphics acceleration and GPU codec compression offered by my graphics card.

I tried most of the VMs out there. VirtualBox seems best for Linux and the free VMware player seems to be the most responsive in Windows.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 09:01:04 AM »
Some of the drawbacks to a VM is lack of multi-monitor support (I have an old monitor I use as a second and it helps tremendously when making videos and programming) and the obvious graphics acceleration and GPU codec compression offered by my graphics card.

I tried most of the VMs out there. VirtualBox seems best for Linux and the free VMware player seems to be the most responsive in Windows.

I see. I rarely do video edits.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »
How do you install such a configuration- Is that a "bare metal hypervisor" ? Which one do you use ?

Can each "head" can run on your configuration almost as fast as a native OS ?

Bare metal would be best.
But virtualbox is not.
You install it like any other software.

Headless means no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774